PDA

View Full Version : In search of a decent light rig/set

mabaza
10-06-2005, 03:45 PM
I can't seem to build a decent light rig or set to save my life. The kind you see people using to pose models. I've used every light rig known to man: HDRI, area lights, 3 point light rig, backdrop radiosity, montecarlo radiosity, no radiosity etc etc.

I also dont know if its better to place my object on a groundplane or in a room (box). A box seems better as walls can reflect some light back onto the object but who knows.

I'll post some examples when I get home tonight so stay tuned.

cresshead
10-06-2005, 05:52 PM
i started out on lightwave lighting by looking at some of the scenes which ship with lightwave....

in the classic content folder there's a scene called reflective balls...all i did was deleted the balls and load up my model instead and scale it to fit....looked a great way to get a nice render in 2 mins effort!

try that for starters then have a look at other scenes and bin most of the content and drop in your model instead......

should work for many types of nice render!

hrgiger
10-06-2005, 06:12 PM
Well, you could always use a skydome. It's a classic.

But I also like to use a 3 point lighting setup using area lights. I basically set one light above and to the left of the model with an intensity of about 60-70%. Usually I use a cool color like a subtle blue. Then just a little lower and to the right of the model I set a lower intensity area light of around 30-40% and a warm color like a subtle yellow or organge. Then behind the model (and off to the side so the camera will pick up on the highlights) I place a very bright white light to give the model volume. Usually I set this to a straight white (255,255,255) and set its intensity at 120-150%. I turn off all ambient intensity in the Global Illumination panel and make sure you have raytrace shadows activated. I think you'll find you can get good results with this setup. If you look in this old thread of mine, you can see on the first page or two some untextured shots where I use this setup: http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?t=19227

Also, usually, Ill place a polygon behind the model to obscure any background that might show through. I set it's diffuse to 0% so it does not receive any light.

Imatk
10-07-2005, 06:49 PM
If you want to light it with no lights at all... the fastest, easiest way... go to backdrop set it to white... click on BG Rad to 100 percent

F9

Done.

mabaza
10-10-2005, 06:02 PM
Thanks for all the great suggestions gang. Here's an example of a HDRI light rig using background radiosity and 2 area lights. Rendered with FPrime. The results are disappointing to say the least. The watch hands and hour marks are supposed to be super shiny chrome but look nothing like that. I'm using incidence angle gradients for all surfaces, but realism is still lacking. Anyway, I'll try a few of your suggestions and post results as I get time.

cresshead
10-10-2005, 06:51 PM
1.point a distant/spot light at your watch [it's fast]remember turn on shadows in the renderer option panel
2. bin radiosity!...get rid!..waaay to slow!
3.add image world in the scene, background option...
4.load up a hdri image ...
5.set that as the image in image world
6.set a basic surface for your 'shiny' metal...grey or whatever...diffuse down to say 80%
7.in render options make sure you have refelecions working....
8.make your melat surface reflective by about 5-30%...dial up n see you render sphere take on the look your after.... ;)

hit render...sit back and smile!......nice render!
:lwicon: