PDA

View Full Version : OS by Newtek

Nemesys
10-06-2005, 11:39 AM
Has newtek ever concidered making their own Operating System? I think they would do a far better job making an OS than anything microsoft could ever come up with.

Make it a simple, no-nonsence application. Get rid of things like the registry and the useless formats. The OS should have an icon for each file type: music, videos, software, system settings.... ahhh well, you get the idea. The icons will act like folders but each are limited to the type of files they hold. For instance, the music folder will only allow mp3s, wav, cda and other music formats.

Im totally fed up with microslop (microsoft). Screw... bill gates and his parade of idiots. I would gladly buy another OS if there was one available.
Maybe Newtek will take the challenge. Think of the money you can make?

tektonik
10-06-2005, 11:53 AM
i second that !

create a custom install of linux (newtek distro) with full open GL (read open standards forever and screw microsuft) capability and have ATI and NVIDIA tweak their drivers for your distro and main app (LW-64)

go go go !

or create an open linux alliance for 3d professionals so you could run LW XSI and others on the same "official" open platform (64 bits mandatory)

go go go !

Lightwolf
10-06-2005, 11:55 AM
The OS should have an icon for each file type: music, videos, software, system settings.... ahhh well, you get the idea.
An NT-OS ... with ICONS ??? Are you nuts, bonkers, out of your mind ??? :bangwall:
:D :p

Cheers,
Mike

Captain Obvious
10-06-2005, 11:57 AM
Making an operating system from scratch is a bloody HUGE project. Much too big for NewTek. Making money on an operating system is hard as ****. Just look at how successful Lindows ("Linspire"?) is!

What's the point in making YAL*? Why not just make Lightwave available for Linux? Still, the "Linux Graphics Alliance" idea is appealing. NewTek, Softimage, Luxology and a few more could get together to create a great 3D platform. They won't, but that's a different matter.

*Yet Another Linux

lots
10-06-2005, 02:34 PM
Indeed, Linux is here now. No need to go off and have Newtek design a totaly new OS. Though such a creation would probably be more focused on the needs of 3D artists. A linux port of Lightwave would be perfect in my opinion.

You get 64bit. You get OpenGL. You get the MS-less computer that many desire. Now if only the dongle worked in linux... :) It would also be interesting to see a PPC linux LW. Maybe then all those mac heads could get thier OpenGL2.0 and 64bit good-ness :)

Personally, the only reason I use Windows is because of lightwave. Most of my games I can get working through wine + cedega. And everything else has some sort of counterpart on linux. Firefox Thunderbird Gaim XMMS Mplayer... etc..

Screamer net was a good first step :) Take a few more and give me LW on linux :)

ercaxus
10-06-2005, 04:51 PM
there's only one piece of software left that's keeping me from installing linux(again :D ) and say bye-bye to my lovely windows, and that's lightwave.
I believe it will eventually happen. Actually for me only major difference is going to be :lwicon: +AmaroK instead of :lwicon: +Winamp :jester:

habaņero
10-06-2005, 07:26 PM
Just want to state on this thread how sweet it would be to have a disk called "rendernode" that I can put into any old box. It will make me very happy! :)

mkiii
10-07-2005, 05:58 AM
Has newtek ever concidered making their own Operating System? I think they would do a far better job making an OS than anything microsoft could ever come up with.

Make it a simple, no-nonsence application. Get rid of things like the registry and the useless formats. The OS should have an icon for each file type: music, videos, software, system settings.... ahhh well, you get the idea. The icons will act like folders but each are limited to the type of files they hold. For instance, the music folder will only allow mp3s, wav, cda and other music formats.

Im totally fed up with microslop (microsoft). Screw... bill gates and his parade of idiots. I would gladly buy another OS if there was one available.
Maybe Newtek will take the challenge. Think of the money you can make?
Well they certainly need to do something that you will buy, cos your warez copy of LW isn't earning them any cash is it?