PDA

View Full Version : Could this be the best tech demo ever?

Lude
10-06-2005, 04:48 AM
From Ati's new top card, Toy Shop - mpg movie file

http://www2.ati.com/multimedia/radeonx1k/ATI-Demo-ToyShop-v1.1.zip

wow

turbo
10-06-2005, 11:18 AM
wow..that is pretty kool

... shiny

Lude
10-06-2005, 11:26 AM
finaly some one else has checked it out :dance:

turbo
10-06-2005, 11:45 AM
:)

kinda processor intensive, i would think, for ingame tho..
... would prolly have to be single player or even cinematic only..

nice tho. <wonders if Torque Shader Engine could handle those features if all implemented one at a time>

Captain Obvious
10-06-2005, 12:18 PM
It'd be awesome if someone could reencode that as something other than WMV. It kind of sucks trying to watch it on my PowerMac. Curse you Microsoft for making WMP for Mac so horrendously unoptimized! All I got was a slide show in poor quality. :thumbsdow

turbo
10-06-2005, 12:23 PM
hmmm... i watched it on my DPG5... 2 gigs of ram and old stock ati vid card

Captain Obvious
10-06-2005, 12:34 PM
I guess the extra processor helps. Mine only has a single 1.6GHz processor.

turbo
10-06-2005, 12:39 PM
i imagine the actual 3d environment shown off in the vid with all its bells and whistles will be even that much more processor intensive... ;)

Lightwolf
10-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Curse you Microsoft for making WMP for Mac so horrendously unoptimized!
Lol, that's what you get in return for Apple providing crappy Quicktime for PCs ;)

Cheers,
Mike

Captain Obvious
10-06-2005, 12:54 PM
Quite frankly, I think it will be less processor intensive, considering exactly how poorly optimized WMP for Mac is...

Lol, that's what you get in return for Apple providing crappy Quicktime for PCs ;)

Cheers,
Mike
QuickTime for Windows is much less painful than WMP for Mac. They're not even in the same category of worthlessness.

Exper
10-06-2005, 01:19 PM
Great demo... though I'm on the nVIDIA side of the Moon! :thumbsup:

Lol, that's what you get in return for Apple providing crappy Quicktime for PCs ;)Use "QuickTime Alternative (http://www.codecguide.com/about_qt.htm)"; it's far better. ;)

somnambulance
10-06-2005, 08:41 PM
OT - While I wait for this to download, I will type my rant:

Quicktime for Windows is less painfull than WMP for Windows. I HATE WMP, I want to rewind... COME ON REWIND DAMIT!!! AHHHH I WANT FRAME BY FRAME!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!! Well... that was the worst experience of watching something, maybe it will be better if I watch it from the start. (click play) AAHHHHHH!!!! WHAT HAPPENED, IT'S 'BUFFERING' ALL OVERAGAIN!!!

Captain Obvious
10-07-2005, 12:49 AM
OT - While I wait for this to download, I will type my rant:

Quicktime for Windows is less painfull than WMP for Windows. I HATE WMP, I want to rewind... COME ON REWIND DAMIT!!! AHHHH I WANT FRAME BY FRAME!!! AHHHHHHHHH!!! Well... that was the worst experience of watching something, maybe it will be better if I watch it from the start. (click play) AAHHHHHH!!!! WHAT HAPPENED, IT'S 'BUFFERING' ALL OVERAGAIN!!!
Or the very common "argh, where did the video go?! I still hear the audio but there's no image! Argh! Pause, pause! PAUSE **** YOU! There. Play again. Argh, still only audio! (...) There, video again. Wait, why isn't the video, you know, MOVING? Grah!"
:offtopic:

Tiger
10-19-2005, 01:42 PM
That was Xlnt! ATI rocks :thumbsup:

turbo
10-19-2005, 02:08 PM
It does indeed.. (never thought i'd say that after last year's fiasco with the unsupported driver, lol)

But I just got my new Radeon 9800 pro mac special edition.. I'm lovin' the 256ness..

There is an in game issue with fog rendering tho, which NVidia doesn't have..
I must get into posting that in the appropriate place.. when I have time..

(back to game dev.. demo due for Halloween! :D )

jeremyhardin
11-10-2005, 11:06 PM
with the number of these 'tech demos' that come out and are fake/prerendered, i just take each one in stride and appreciate them for nice cg, nothing more.

but that's just me. ;)

Matt
11-11-2005, 11:36 AM
Windows Media Player sucks on the PC what are you talking about!!! :)

- - - Back on topic ... - - -

Very cool demo though! Shame it's ATI, always been an nVidia fan myself!

Stooch
11-11-2005, 04:26 PM
lol is it "badly optimized" or is mac just bad? For example, lets examine flash on macs. Is that also a "bad optimization"? I find alot of things running badly on macs, thats why i dont use them. As far as the vid, its pretty kickass. The only thing that didnt work at all for me where the rivulets of water on the window.

Captain Obvious
11-13-2005, 10:58 AM
I don't think flash runs all that badly on the Mac anymore. A few versions ago, it was spectacularly horrible, but now it's not that bad. When Macromedia first demoed Flash version 9, they did it on a Power Mac G5, and they did things like real-time video editing (kind of like Motion, in fact). Huge performance increase, as far as I've heard. I don't know what's happening with that now that Adobe has gobbled them up, but we'll see.

As for whether it's the Mac that's bad, or the program that is, here's good proof that it's the programs, in most cases: Windows Media Player for Mac is horrible. It barely works, and when it does, the performance is awful. You often get a slideshow and decompression artifacts. RealPlayer for Mac OS X, on the other hand, can do things like real-time color adjustments on high-quality video, with nary a framedrop. Obviously, both QuickTime and VLC can do things like this as well. So no, it's not the Mac's fault that WMP sucks completely. Microsoft didn't even try to make it good. In fact, as far as I've heard anyway, it wasn't Microsoft's Mac team that ported WMP. It was the WMP team, and they obviously do not have the slightest idea how to make a Macintosh application.