PDA

View Full Version : Copy map, paste to other identical geometry?

stompbox
10-06-2005, 03:43 AM
I am wracking my brains, running flay and forum searches for what I'm sure is a simple solution, but can't work it out so I thought I'd ask here.

I have two versions of the same identical geometry. One has great UV maps, the other great weight maps. (I know, I need to be better organised.)

I need to copy either weight or UV maps from one object and paste it onto the other, to have one SUPER object with the good maps from both.

Any ideas?

mkiii
10-06-2005, 05:11 AM
If they are absolutely identical. Just pasting one object on top of the other & merging them ( m ), followed by Unify Polygons ( SHIFT + i ) will do it.

stompbox
10-07-2005, 01:35 AM
Pasting over the top and merging "overwrites" the old geometry with the new, so you lose either your UVs or weight maps. So that method is no good.

Exception
10-09-2005, 04:21 PM
well, this won't help you much but I KNOW there is a way to do this...
I know cause I did it once... but its long ago and i don't remember how.. sorry.

Dodgy
10-09-2005, 05:19 PM
Pasting over the top and merging "overwrites" the old geometry with the new, so you lose either your UVs or weight maps. So that method is no good.

Have you actually tried it? Because I just have and it works. If you have values in both objects for one map, then the new WILL overwrite the old, but if each object has all their maps with separate names, the maps will coexist on the new merged geometry. make sure to unify your polys afterwards too though.

mkiii
10-09-2005, 05:38 PM
Exactly.

And of course, *I* also double checked that it worked before I posted. So give us the benefit of actually trying it before you trash the idea stompy old mate.

stompbox
10-09-2005, 11:39 PM
I appreciate the help, and I am glad to be proven wrong. It seems that as I had maps with the same names on both objects, that is the reason why they were overwritten. It's good to know that there is a way around that. I did try what you guys suggested and it wasn't working for me, and I appreciate the clarification.

In the meantime I've cut and pasted geometry together from both to a managable compromise and redone some UV maps. But it's good to know how to get this to work in future.

So thanks everyone I appreciate your time and help.
(And I regret coming across as a goose if that's the case. It wouldn't be the first time. Just ask my wife. She tells me about it all the time.)

:thumbsup:

Dodgy
10-10-2005, 05:10 AM
No probs :)

mkiii
10-10-2005, 07:57 AM
Ditto.

Hmm... message too short to post.... Better write something profound....