PDA

View Full Version : Inside lightwave 7

Tacco
10-05-2005, 01:31 PM
Hi does anyone have the inside lightwave 7 book. If you have done the architect model you could really help.
on page 325 it asks you to flatten the top of dome using the stretch tool. It says use 100% for horizontal factor and 65% on the vertical factor. It seems that when i do this it squashes the sides and doesnt flatten the top. I have followed the book step by step and was wondering if this is my fault in some way or if its the authors mistake. Does anyone know?? thanks, ben

3D Kiwi
10-05-2005, 02:39 PM
I have worked though that book before and it is a good book, but in a couple of places the tuts dont make sence, you do what it says and it turns out wrong, i ended us just having to play around untill i got it looking right. I have just packed my inside 7 book as going overseas (to become a paid 3d animator) :-)
so cant look at the problem you are having.

So my answer is just play till you have it how it looks in the book then move on to the next bit.

Tacco
10-05-2005, 03:06 PM
ok cheers for that so its not just me that had problems then. :) how did you go about becoming an animator then. Do you have any tips you could share about animation?

Does the book teach you enough so that you can go off on and model and animate on your own or not?

gregsduncan
10-05-2005, 03:25 PM
Does the book teach you enough so that you can go off on and model and animate on your own or not?

Just practice....lots of practice applying what you've learned from the book, and tutorials on Newtek website too and other places around the web.

Tacco
10-05-2005, 03:32 PM
Yeah loads and loads of practice, its a huge piece of software. Are you a capable user in lightwave.

What films has lightwave been involved in do you know at all?

dablan
10-05-2005, 04:09 PM
Make sure you select just the points around the top of the dome first. Then stretch. Another way to go is to not worry about specific values too much - select the stretch tool and then just click and drag.

3D Kiwi
10-05-2005, 04:52 PM
ok cheers for that so its not just me that had problems then. :) how did you go about becoming an animator then. Do you have any tips you could share about animation?

I dont think any one book is enough to teach you how to animate. This is my Lightwave story.
When i first got Lightwave i grabbed the manuel and threw it over my shoulder and forgot about it. For the first couple of months i became an expert and making boxes and balls and making them fly around. Once i knew the interface better that is when i grabbed the manuel off the floor and started reading it to learn the tech side of the buttons. Once i had done that i found i could follow tuts better as you had a better idea of what they mean and where the buttons etc are. But i got board really quick of books and tuts so i decided to make a animated short film, that way i now have a goal to aim for so as i come across somthing i dont know how to do i work through a book or tut and then implemnt it in my animation. I found this the best way for me as i have results to show for my work.
So i am self taught and when i saw a job for a animator i sent them some stills and animations and boom i have now turned my hobbie into a job and i now get paid to lightwave.

SplineGod
10-05-2005, 09:36 PM
Yeah loads and loads of practice, its a huge piece of software. Are you a capable user in lightwave.

I have a few hours of free tutorials on my site (check my sig) and the KURV site. Newtek also has a list of film and tv projects LW was used in. :)

Tacco
10-06-2005, 12:15 PM
Thanks for that spline god i shall check them out some time. 3D kiwi how long did it take you to learn as much as you know. Also where abouts are you animating and what country? Oh and Good luck with the job :).

Tacco
10-06-2005, 12:17 PM
Also spline god your avatar picture is that based on golem by any chance. Did you make that?

Was lightwave used in lord of the rings does anyone know?

SplineGod
10-06-2005, 12:42 PM
Tacco,
Thanks! My avatar was something I did for fun. As far as I know LW wasnt used on LOTR. :)

3D Kiwi
10-06-2005, 01:37 PM
Thanks for that spline god i shall check them out some time. 3D kiwi how long did it take you to learn as much as you know. Also where abouts are you animating and what country? Oh and Good luck with the job :).

Hay tacco, it has taken me about 2 years working after hours at lightwave to get me were i am, i would only still be an intermediate user but the job i am going to in auzzie will train me.

Tacco
10-06-2005, 03:52 PM
When you off to aussie then kiwi. Bet your looking forward to it :). also would you be able to send me one of your animations so i can see the level your at to give me an idea of where i am.
Spline god do you use lightwave as a hobby or are you working with it.

SplineGod
10-06-2005, 04:07 PM
Hi Tacco,
It started off as a hobby back in the dawn of time before LW was even called LW. :) I use it professionally now.

Lottmedia
10-06-2005, 04:21 PM
Splinegod, I've still never been aboe to get onto your site. Account is always not activated even after you over-rode it I couldn't get into my account

J-Rod

PS, this is how you hijack a thread :) Sorry

3D Kiwi
10-06-2005, 04:24 PM
When you off to aussie then kiwi. Bet your looking forward to it :). also would you be able to send me one of your animations so i can see the level your at to give me an idea of where i am.
Spline god do you use lightwave as a hobby or are you working with it.

sorry can really send you anything at the moment all my pcs are on a ship somewear in the tasman sea now and i only have access to internet from work and no animation here. PM me if you like and once i have the pcs back i will send some stuff to you.

Tacco
10-07-2005, 01:02 AM
How do i pm you kiwi. How many pcs do you use for lightwave? Alos how long on average are your animations? And how do you render animations so you can see it on a different screen and not layout screen??

Soline god have you got any animations by any chance you can send me? What company do you work for and where abouts is it?

I would llove to work professionally in lightwave but i got loads of practicing to do!

Tacco
10-07-2005, 01:12 AM
Sorry i forgot to mention this earlier but in the 'inside lightwave 7' book when it says about the horizontal and vertical factors, vertical is up and down so if i change the vertical factor it should flatten the top but it doesnt, for some weird reason it squashes the sides. Does anyone know why by any chance?

dablan
10-07-2005, 08:14 AM
Tacco -
feel free to email me directly - dablan at earthlink dot net if you have book questions.

Obviously, this forum is not the place.

cgolchert
10-07-2005, 08:20 AM
Actually this is considered "Thread crapping"

Randog
10-07-2005, 08:55 AM
Hi does anyone have the inside lightwave 7 book. If you have done the architect model you could really help.
on page 325 it asks you to flatten the top of dome using the stretch tool. It says use 100% for horizontal factor and 65% on the vertical factor. It seems that when i do this it squashes the sides and doesnt flatten the top. I have followed the book step by step and was wondering if this is my fault in some way or if its the authors mistake. Does anyone know?? thanks, ben

Hi Tacco,

Did you get it figured out yet? I may have flipped some of the nubers or something to to flatten the top.

LWD
10-07-2005, 09:25 AM

The films that I've used Lightwave on recently....Secondhand Lions, Looney Tunes; Back in Action, Peter Pan (live action, 2004), I, Robot (robots=Maya, everything else =Lightwave [at Digital Domain]. (Weta shared the shots with us, not sure what they used) , Serenity,

There are plenty more but these I can speak from experience about.

Tacco
10-07-2005, 10:45 AM
Hi Tacco,

Did you get it figured out yet? I may have flipped some of the nubers or something to to flatten the top.

Yeah i did figure it out its just that the vertical factor should flatten it because vertical is up and down, but it doesnt seem to be the case. Im wondering whether lightwave has made the mistake of mixing the words up. eg. where it says vertical factor it should say horizontal. Just an idea that may be lightwave has made a mistake. Does anyone else agree?

Tacco
10-07-2005, 10:47 AM
Hi dablan i will email you, have you read the book? Do you work professionally with lightwave at all?

Tacco
10-07-2005, 10:51 AM
dablan at earthlink dot net

Is this you email adress dablan @ earthlink.net but without the spaces.

Tacco
10-07-2005, 11:39 AM
Hi all i just found something out. the vertical and horizontal factors work on the z axis but not on the other two can anyone explain why?

BCazzell
10-07-2005, 11:46 AM
Hi dablan i will email you, have you read the book? Do you work professionally with lightwave at all?

He (dablan= Dan Ablan) wrote the book. And the architecture chapter was written by Randy. And I had a hand in it too. :)

Bob

j-rod
10-07-2005, 12:00 PM
Splinegod, I've still never been aboe to get onto your site. Account is always not activated even after you over-rode it I couldn't get into my account

J-Rod

PS, this is how you hijack a thread :) Sorry

Just for the record, I want to point out that this here Lottmedia J-Rod and myself - Jarrod Davis from Zoic Studios - are different people. It just appears that we've both been saddled with the same first name Jarrod. Lucky us. ;)

J-Rod
Zoic Studios

Tacco
10-07-2005, 12:00 PM
So dablan is actually dan ablan? Maybe you could help if you had a hand in it. How come it says to use a vertical factor of 65% and horizontal factor 100% when it squashes the sides and not the top? Also another thing i dont understand is where did the measurements come from, for example how did you know that an object had to be 573.7, where did you get the .7 from if you know what i mean. Thats just an example. i just dont understand how you knew it had to be 573.7. hope you understand.

dablan
10-07-2005, 12:21 PM
Randy wrote the skyscraper chapter, although I updated it slightly. The measurements are based on the overall size of the object which is based on the grid square. Take a look at the bottom left of the Modeler interface - there, you'll see the measurement of your current grid. Sizes / values within the entry fields for various tools relate to this size.

As for the vertical and horizontal - I just ran through the steps myself and they're working fine. I'm thinking that you might have your viewports set differently than the default setup. Instead, try selecting those same points, and use the Magnet tool. Right click to set a region of influence, then left click to change the shape.

Tacco
10-07-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi dablan. But where do the measurements come from, where do you get the 53.67 for example. how do you work out where the .67 comes from.
Great book by the way :)

Tacco
10-07-2005, 12:52 PM
Also dablan, have you got any animations or pics you could send me just to give me a standard to work to?

SplineGod
10-07-2005, 01:14 PM
Tacco,
What sort of animation are you interested in getting into?

lardbros
10-07-2005, 01:19 PM
I think Tacco is confused by the fact that the stretch tool is saying 100% for horizontal and 65% for vertical when verstical is the one that should be smaller.

Here's my attempt at explaining why:
The horizontal at 100% is because it will remain unchanged. Therefore not be stretched along the horizontal at all. 100% is it's original length, anything over 100% will stretch it along that axis, anything under 100% will squash it.

This means that 65% for the vertical is squashing the axis by 35% of it's total original state.

Hope this explains how the tool works.

Tacco
10-07-2005, 05:03 PM
Lardbros i know wha it does but its doing it wrong, the book says to do 65 on the vertical on 100 on the horizontal on the y axis, but vertical isnt affecting it up and down but it affects the sides. so basically the vertical factor is doing what the horizontal should be doing.

Spline god im interested in any animation for the time being. Can anyone explain where they get the measurements from for the architectual chapter, because you cant know for example that it has to be 53.67m on the y axis these numbers have to come from somewhere, but where. Does anyone know?

lardbros
10-07-2005, 05:15 PM
Sorry, didn't mean to patronise.

I have the book, and did what it says and it works fine. You must have a different viewport config... working from the bottom or top view rather than the front or back ones.

Tacco
10-08-2005, 02:13 AM
Do you know how i can get it to go back to default viewport settings?

Tacco
10-08-2005, 02:52 AM
Also does anyone know where they get the measurements for the architecture chapter because you cant know the measurements you need off the top of your head the numbers have to come from somewhere.

And when you bevel why have you got to do 3 for a rounded edge because i dont get what it means when it says the first and last bevels stop smoothing errors!

Tacco
10-08-2005, 08:12 AM
Hi all i made a big mistake in the architectual chapter :(. on page 358 and 359 it asks you to bevel the windows and now my windows stick out and because i saved and quit lightwave i cant undo it can anyone help. Also it must be to do with my settings why everything is not working properly.