PDA

View Full Version : iVGA Problems

jdnell
10-05-2005, 10:31 AM
BACKGROUND:
I have read the other recent iVGA thread here on the board, but didn't find a solution that will work for me.

I need help in getting this going, since we have six (6) legal compliance presentations coming up soon that need to be recorded with the Tricaster. They're simple shoots with 2 cameras, wireless mic, and laptop/PC input for Powerpoint presentations.

PROBLEM:
I can not view my Thinkpad's screen in the VGA window in the Tricaster.

STEPS I'VE TAKEN, SO FAR:
I have copied iVGA from the CD to my IBM Thinkpad, running Win/XP Prof. SP2.

I connected the supplied Tricaster cross-over cable from the Thinkpad's Ethernet connector to the Tricaster's rear Ethernet-connector. (I don't have Wi-Fi enabled)

I double-clicked the iVGA icon on the Thinkpad.

I look in the VGA tab, under Network Input (Input Source), on the Tricaster and see "NOT CONNECTED".

I've waited the minute or so, as stated in the manual for the Tricaster to "see" the laptop. Nothing happens.

HELP!!!

What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions, ideas, comments are most welcomed!

Thanks,,,,John

jcupp
10-05-2005, 10:52 AM
You will need to actually get the two computers networked together Windows makes theis easy but it's not automatic. It's a matter of setting the ip addresses on both machines to the same subnet and both machines to the same workgroup.

For example:
Set the Tricaster to 192.168.0.100 and your laptop to 192.168.0.200
and set the workgroup name on both machines to WORKGROUP

To Change workgroup name:
1) Open Control Panel
2) Double click System
3) Click Computer Name tab
4) Click the Change button
5) Type in new workgroup name
6) Click OK a time or two
7) The machine will need to be rebooted

To set IP addresses
1) Go to Start Menu | Network Connections
2) Right click the Local Area Connection icon and select Properties
3) On the General tab Double Click Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)
4) Type in the desired IP address and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0
5) Click OK to close panels.
6) You may need to reboot before the settings take place

Hope this helps

mavnick
10-05-2005, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the detailed explanation and steps in going about setting these up!
Now if you could only figure out why I can no longer boot up my system after having added the BETA patch everything would be swell.

jdnell
10-05-2005, 01:05 PM
Jeff -

Your short and concise note was enough for me to get things going here! I didn't realize the workgroup names needed to be the same, nor really understood the subnet masks. Your example was EXCELLENT!

Made changes as you indicated, rebooted both laptop and Tricaster and everything worked as claimed in the Tricaster manual!

The NewTek folks should make note of your example and incorporate it within their next release of the Tricaster's "Quick Start Manual", since this information is not to be found in the current documentation! Now I can move on to other things to get ready for the shoot.

Thanks again for your help!

John

jejle
10-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Hey there,

The previous 3 responses all should work...however, can anyone tell me how to make this iVGA interface to work with a laptop computer that is not allowed (due to company rules) to be switched to WORKGROUP instead of the local server it is always connected to? I did switch it to WORKGROUP and iVGA worked - but it also required our off-site IT Administrator to come to our office to reconnect the laptop to the computer, a very expensive option for us.

Any suggestions?

Jeff

P.S. - Our company used the Tricaster for a large event this past weekend and we had no end of greif with the iVGA interface. The Tricaster would drop frames, not reboot properly, and continually give the message "Please close this window to disable GUI controls." It was all working fine until 5 minutes before the event took place. We ended up having to use the second monitor output on the laptop into the 3rd camera/s-video port...not ideal!

jcupp
10-19-2005, 04:18 PM
You can change the TriCasters workgroup to match your laptop it doesn't matter what it is just so long as both machines match. If your connecting to a corporate network you can probably use the "Obtain IP address automatically" in the TCP/IP properties rather than setting it manually. If your network has a domain controller you should consult your in-house IT people on how to get the TriCaster on the network properly.

VideoFixIt
10-20-2005, 04:36 PM
:hammer: Has anyone used a FireWire connection between an iVGA client pc and the VT4? Under Windows XP this works much the same as a cross-over cable but it's 4 time faster and should produce a solid connection between the two computers. :thumbsup: I plan on looking into this next week, may still need to assign iP's to help with bootup, if I remember it will wait for a DHCP server to assign the address but if not XP will assign them soon or later so fixing the IP on both sides of the Firewire network should provide for a fast iVGA connection. :agree:

essentricaudio
10-20-2005, 05:19 PM
used a FireWire connection between an iVGA client pc and the VT4?

Can you use a straight firewire cable or do you have to go through a hub? I know you can network thru firewire, just never thought about using ivga across it! For those of us who use dedicated 2nd computers via iVGA, this may be a rock solid solution - I have to check it out.

Cineman
10-20-2005, 05:54 PM
You can change the TriCasters workgroup to match your laptop it doesn't matter what it is just so long as both machines match. If your connecting to a corporate network you can probably use the "Obtain IP address automatically" in the TCP/IP properties rather than setting it manually. If your network has a domain controller you should consult your in-house IT people on how to get the TriCaster on the network properly.
Am curious Jeff as to how many times you have actually connected to a corporate network? Anyone?

For those asked around here, on site, I have heard No Way before I could get the words out of my mouth. Probably lots better to discuss it in advance during pre production planning. That way I just get laughter.

Nes Gurley

essentricaudio
10-20-2005, 06:08 PM
Nes (and everyone)
If you are mainly connecting laptops, going wireless and doing your own little network might be the easiest. Get yourself a little wireless router / Access Point, configure it and then each notebook only has to connect to your wireless network and install the iVGA client.... But yes, definately something to think about before hand!
Most corporate IT/IS departments are VERY picky about what is on their network and very unwilling to try anything they are unfamilure with.

VideoFixIt
10-20-2005, 06:37 PM
Yes - FireWire, Computer to Computer - No hub. It created a firewire network and the iVGA client connects to VT4.5 just fine. I like the Wi-Fi but for us it would not be used that much. For the dedicated PowerPoint/MediaShout computer connected via FireWire should work fine.

jcupp
10-20-2005, 07:07 PM
Am curious Jeff as to how many times you have actually connected to a corporate network? Anyone?

For those asked around here, on site, I have heard No Way before I could get the words out of my mouth. Probably lots better to discuss it in advance during pre production planning. That way I just get laughter.

Nes Gurley

It is a truisim that corporate networks are run for the exclusive benefit of the corporate IT dept. who only occasionally deign to allow a mere user access to the facilities they need in the course of the business.

An ad hoc wireless network or cross-over cable may be the way to go in such situations as the un-authorised network won't be around long enough for the IT Nazis to find it and shut it down. :devil:

JumboCast
10-21-2005, 08:11 AM
It is a truisim that corporate networks are run for the exclusive benefit of the corporate IT dept. who only occasionally deign to allow a mere user access to the facilities they need in the course of the business.I missed the smiley here, although perhaps it was implied, but :hijack: if you've ever spent any time cleaning a particularly nasty virus (introduced by a rogue machine with outdated or no virus protection) off of hundreds or thousands of infected PCs in a mission-critical enterprise, you develop at least an understanding of (if not an enthusiasm for) the desire to keep corporate networks as locked down as possible.

That being said, I just tried the FireWire connection, and full-screen video via iVGA seems a little smoother, but I didn't A/B it against a crossover cable. TriCaster picked it right up after about 30 seconds, but I am (shh! don't tell Nes! :D ) running the beta patch.

-steve

jcupp
10-21-2005, 08:48 AM
No disrespect intended to the hard working IT guy and I understand the need for security and protection from nasties but some IT depts do go too far and forget that the purpose of the network is to facilitate work.

Cineman
10-21-2005, 12:39 PM
An ad hoc wireless network or cross-over cable may be the way to go in such situations as the un-authorised network won't be around long enough for the IT Nazis to find it and shut it down. :devil:
Well, that is, unless they have gotten wind of your having asked to be on their network. Then your under their total scrutiny, and will be caught for daring to want to open a wireless network in their facility. (Yes, I have a wireless.)

Thus Im down to the (often less than convenient) crossover cable. Why, oh why do the presenters (front of house, me back) have to run their own notebook presentations?

Nes Gurley
T.O.P.

Tarheel Cougar
10-21-2005, 02:53 PM
Well, that is, unless they have gotten wind of your having asked to be on their network. Then your under their total scrutiny, and will be caught for daring to want to open a wireless network in their facility. (Yes, I have a wireless.)

Thus Im down to the (often less than convenient) crossover cable. Why, oh why do the presenters (front of house, me back) have to run their own notebook presentations?

Nes Gurley
T.O.P.
The two things I have found are the biggest no-nos with IT guys are wireless points and connecting Macs to the network. Nes the sad thing with presenters that I have encountered is that too many of them barely know how to turn on a computer and are WOWed by Powerpoint and demand using its cheesy line by line and slide transitions, animated gifs and every corny sound effect from the laser to a drum roll as each line is revealed. The novelty of powerpoint has worn off YEARS ago! These are the same presenters that use 12 point fonts, the exact same standard templates, and tiny charts, and then wonder why people can't see them when they look fine on their computer monitor...
Jared

isaac
04-10-2006, 03:14 AM
I have a problem with iVGA connection. VT sees the connection when a laptop is connected via cable to a network point. But, VT loses this connection when the laptop is switched to wireless.

Anyone has this issue before?