PDA

View Full Version : How to resize live video

ricardofaya
10-05-2005, 10:29 AM
I ve recently bought a VT4 and this friday, for the first time it will be used, and I am responsible for making it work, And in one of the situations, I will have a CG background that covers all but the upper right corner which will be a live feed, with a DVE I managed to have video there, but it was not layed out exactly how I wanted it, my qustion is, is there a simpler way of acomplishing this without using a DVE? And is there a DVE editor?
I really thank those of you that might try to help me with this!

Ricardo Faya.

jcupp
10-05-2005, 11:01 AM
You can create a custom DVE in exactly the size and position you want using Lightwave and the DVE Creation Kit but this is not a trivial task if you are unfamiliar with LW. Or you can just shoot the video so that the action you wish to show is up in the corner with the rest of the frame masked by your overlay. The trick here is to get in and out of the effect neatly and for that I have no good suggestion.

ricardofaya
10-05-2005, 12:53 PM
Thanks a lot, but as a matter or a fact I DONT know how to use LW, and what might be simple is becoming a very hard task... I really really wish there were a simple DVE Editor...
Thanks again.

kltv
10-05-2005, 01:24 PM
If the video doesn't have to be "live" video (like b-roll or other pre-captured video), you could pre-produce the composite in VT-Edit using positioning, which is a lot easier than building a DVE. If it has to be live video from a camera you'll need to build a DVE in LightWave or design your CG graphic around one of the pre-built DVE effects.

Kris

mikkowilson
10-05-2005, 01:26 PM
Does the VT have a "gradient wipe" available?
- That's a whipe where the 255 steps of the wipe are defined by 255 gray levels of a seperate image. so first it reaplaces the darkest pixels, then through to the lightest. - like turning the threashold knob on a luma-key, but with an external key source.

- Mikko

JAH
10-05-2005, 02:51 PM
Be aware I'm not all that knowing of this, but perhaps this may work for you.

In our studio, we've had to do live shots like that before and there is a transition you can do that brings the video in from the top right corner. We did a take ctrl-h all at the same time to take the transition half way leaving a smaller version of the video in the top right corner. Does that make sense? If that's any help, that's great. If not, at least I tried. :cool:

dashley
10-05-2005, 04:17 PM
Richard,
I am in the same boat as you. I have built a DVE in light wave that has two screens that do not overlay each other and should have video in both with the Tbar in the half way position on the switcher. The only problem is that Lightwave keeps crashing everytime I try to render out the warp files.

I know that someone at Newtek had to build the ones that come with the VT4, but they are not giving me any help or hope.

I am not going to give up and I will be happy to share my creation with you.

I know this is not much help to someone who needs it now, but I think I am 90% there.

IF I CAN ONLY GET SOMEONE AT NEWTEK TO HELP ME CREATE THE WARP FILES.

kltv
10-05-2005, 04:43 PM
Does the VT have a "gradient wipe" available?
- That's a whipe where the 255 steps of the wipe are defined by 255 gray levels of a seperate image. so first it reaplaces the darkest pixels, then through to the lightest. - like turning the threashold knob on a luma-key, but with an external key source.

- Mikko

You can easily build those in Aura. It is a lot easier than the LightWave version. VTknowledge has a good tutorial on that. If you just want a gradient transition you just have to worry about the "Transition" layer, and not the overlay. The tutorial is at http://www.vtknowledge.com/index.php?action=viewtutorial&id=Aura%20DVE%20Builder

I have built a DVE in light wave that has two screens that do not overlay each other and should have video in both with the Tbar in the half way position on the switcher. The only problem is that Lightwave keeps crashing everytime I try to render out the warp files.

You can't warp two seperate video layers at the same time. Is that what you are trying to do? One layer needs to be full-screen in the background and is revealed by the DVE transition.

Kris

Kevin Brice
10-05-2005, 06:13 PM
I had heard that you could put live video inputs in ToasterEdit and then play back pre-made layouts from ToasterEdit in a DDR, with VT filling in the live sources.

Did I hear wrong? I can't check on our Toaster since we still have VT[2]... (haven't gotten the school to order our new stuff yet!)

kltv
10-05-2005, 08:04 PM
I had heard that you could put live video inputs in ToasterEdit and then play back pre-made layouts from ToasterEdit in a DDR, with VT filling in the live sources.

Nope. But you do have the ability to trigger switcher functions in a timeline. Like Take Input 3, Preview 2, Auto Trans, etc. Sort of like a fancy GPI trigger or E-Mem timeline. You could take or transition to live video in the middle of a timeline and then go back to the edited timeline, but you are just controlling the switcher, you don't have the ability to reposition the video like you can with a recorded clip in the timeline.

Kris

Kevin Brice
10-05-2005, 08:10 PM
Nope. But you do have the ability to trigger switcher functions in a timeline. Like Take Input 3, Preview 2, Auto Trans, etc. Sort of like a fancy GPI trigger or E-Mem timeline. You could take or transition to live video in the middle of a timeline and then go back to the edited timeline, but you are just controlling the switcher, you don't have the ability to reposition the video like you can with a recorded clip in the timeline.

Kris

OK, thanks for explaining that to me. That'd be really handy if you could insert live sources in ToasterEdit to set up complex swtiches and and effects in advance, though... that'd really be great if you could use 3D positoining of video and other ToasterEdit effects with live video. Wouldn't be too much of a stretch for it considering Toaster already does everything in real-time anyway. :D

SBowie
10-07-2005, 07:33 AM
You can easily build those in Aura. It is a lot easier than the LightWave version. VTknowledge has a good tutorial on that. If you just want a gradient transition you just have to worry about the "Transition" layer, and not the overlay.
Here's another older tutorial that details creating DVEs that mimic the "Spice Rack" style luma-based transitions:

http://www.newtekpro.com/AuraInsider/aura/articles/alphawipes/alpha_tut.html

ricardofaya
10-12-2005, 05:15 PM
It was a huge battle between me and lightwave, one technician didnt understand why I was staring at the lightwave interface for over 20 min without actually acomplishing anything, when he asked me what did I want from it, it was to find the image processing effects tab.... Only to realize it was at the window menu option... I was sooo used to never going to the window option, since it usually have nothing important.... Anyways, its working, and anyone that wants to check it out, or need some assitance with the DVE creation kit, PM me that I will try my best to help!

Thanks again, Ricardo Faya.