PDA

View Full Version : Change Surface Command

Xtatikalmind
10-05-2005, 05:43 AM
Hi guys newbie here. Iam using 7.5 and wondering if anyone can help with a prob i am having. When i hit q to try and access the change surface command the window comes up but all controls are disabled so i cant change anything. Can anyone please help me????
Thanks Dean

Dodgy
10-05-2005, 06:10 AM
The change surface command is only for changing the surface the polygon is assigned to. If you want to change the values of the surface, you use the Surface editor :)

mkiii
10-05-2005, 10:08 AM
...changing the surface values, *and* creating new surfaces for the first time, just in case that isn't clear.

It's probably about time this was integrated into the main surface editor methinks.

operation
10-05-2005, 03:50 PM
yes ...

Use the Q key to affect a new surface (only) or existing surface toa Polygon.

But if you want to edit value:

Use Surface EDITOR !
:tcicon:
:D

Surrealist.
10-05-2005, 04:57 PM
I have brought this up before. But I am going to bring it up again. The way the change surface tool is set up now is completely counter intuitive.

It is not surprising to me that people get fooled by this one. Used to be you could name and rename surfaces with this tool. So if you make a mistake or decide you want the surface to have a different name, simple just use the rename button.

This is why this fooled me too. I looked at the color addition of the tool and thought, great, now not only can I rename I can also change colors while I model and not worry about the surface editor until I am actaully doing surfacing not modeling. Sometimes it is convelient to change the color only fast and directly while modeling as well as change surface names.

As it is now you can wind up with many surfaces you don't need floating around durring the session. Then you hit oK and decide oops not green, blue. You call up the surface tool again and are frustrated why you can't change the color after you just used it to change the color! Seems counter intuitive to me to have it change the color when you create the surface but not after.

No real big deal just a minor irritation. I have not thought about it so I don't even know if it is possible to rename a surace any more unless it was moved to some obscure place.