PDA

View Full Version : Is the upgrade to VT4 warranted?

Jim Appleby
10-05-2005, 02:11 AM
First let me start off that I enjoy using my VT2. Whenever someone requests advice on what platform to buy..or hardware etc..naturally part of the response will be in part.."what do you plan to do?"so..the only thing that I do with my toaster is for the most part Edit video captures (weddings is my forte) turning them into a beautiful production with additional assistance from Mirage 1.2 and perhaps some animations-whether they be created by me with LW or purchased from others.
So back to my question..will VT4 shake up my world as I know it?..is the price of admission worth it in my case?..I wish now that I had kept my old amiga toaster-flyer as I could easily justify with the generous trade-in..why...an amiga board is worth the same on trade as my vt2!
My computer hardware is the great Supermicro dual Xeon board so it may seem like upgrading the hardware would not be necessary..at least for now.
I am sitting on the fence...need a nudge..one way or the other.

Jim_C
10-05-2005, 05:47 AM
Hi Jim

IMO, going from VT2 to VT4, YES it will shake up your world. Absolutely!

That will be a monumemtal leap in DV quality and worklow, enhancements, features, tools. VT3 to 4 is a nice upgrade too , but not nearly as life changing as VT2 to 4 would be.

Especially if you work with DV. VT2 was/is not very efficient at handling DV.

If you have the means, I say GO FOR IT! :thumbsup:
Jim

sywitt
10-05-2005, 09:40 AM
Absolutely. It's money well spent!

ted
10-05-2005, 03:59 PM
Jim, if you are not a "Plant", :hey: you've got to be kidding!
The jump from VT2-VT4 should be a no brainer. I'm pretty sure VT5 is far enough off that you'll get your moneys worth in case that's a part of your equation.
There is sooooo much more in 4 then 2, I can't even imagine how I got by with VT2. Just having visible keyframes would be enough for me.

I'm sure the "Feature List" between the two would fill several pages.
We're still using a 1 GIG, Dual XEON 2.???, on two of our systems and a SINGLE on one, (but we don't do any major stuff other then home movies on that one).

I wish you well. Take the jump and let us know how thrilled you are!

Norman
10-06-2005, 06:51 AM
And, why would you be using Mirage 1.2, when 1.5 is a free download? :confused:

Jim Appleby
10-06-2005, 10:35 PM
I really appreciate the response. As editing and creating wedding videos is pretty much all my Toaster is used for I did not wish to spend money just to find out the additional features are not what I am looking for. And..yes..me bad...why am I still using Mirage 1.2?..
Better give Steve (Bowie) a call and lets see if he has time to give a demo.