PDA

View Full Version : OpenGL question about 8.5 and 9...

hrgiger
10-04-2005, 08:32 PM
Ok, I've read many different posts about it but I guess I want to clarify....

With 8.5, we will have some new display options such as lights, falloffs, procedural textures, etc.... in Layout. You will need (or want) a video card that supports OpenGL 2.0. However, performance will not be improved.

In 9.0, the drawing routines will be improved which I assume means that higher poly scenes will be easier to naviate through? You will be able to rotate much more smoothly because the display is much more dependant on the GPU?

Currently, the OpenGL improvements are for Layout only and Modeler improvements are planned but not yet implemented.

Do I have everything correct so far?

My question is, will animating in Layout be easier and faster? I did see something on the 9.0 page about faster bone evaluation but I didn't know if that meant bones will be able to work faster or not within characters. Also, even though I saw somewhere that Modeler has not yet been improved, it says faster performance on the 9.0 feature page.

Can anyone clarify definitively?

hrgiger
10-05-2005, 06:47 PM
86 views but can anyone confirm the above?

WizCraker
10-05-2005, 09:33 PM
I would say what is on the feature list is only confirmed info or what Proton has demonstrated on V 8.5, What was in the SIGGRAPH videos, and what Chuck has stated.

Lightwolf
10-06-2005, 02:01 AM
In 9.0, the drawing routines will be improved which I assume means that higher poly scenes will be easier to naviate through? You will be able to rotate much more smoothly because the display is much more dependant on the GPU?
That is what I assume too. And looking at other apps there seems to be plenty of room to optimize.

As for animated, displaced objects (i.e. bones, IK) it will depend on how much time is currently wasted on doing the openGL. I'd assume that even if the IK and bone parts of the software don't change, but openGL is faster, the IK solver and bone deformer will have more time and be able to update quicker.

Cheers,
Mike

Earl
10-06-2005, 08:48 AM
That and OpenGL will free up the CPU cycles that were powering the display before, so the extra CPU freedom would probably go towards bones and such.

hrgiger
10-06-2005, 09:00 AM
That and OpenGL will free up the CPU cycles that were powering the display before, so the extra CPU freedom would probably go towards bones and such.

That's kind of what I was thinking. I'm hoping that's true. But hopefully, bone speed can be optimized as well so that animating in Lightwave can be a bit less painful.