PDA

View Full Version : 64-bit Macs

Beamtracer
05-04-2003, 04:44 PM
The 64-bit IBM970 processor may be on sale in new Macs as early as June.

Usually new processors run late, so it is unusual that IBM in this case is running earlier than expected. The new processors are already in IBM's chip fabrication plants. It seems the entire PowerMac line will get the new 64-bit processors.

If the new machines hit the streets in June they'll initially only be operating in 32-bit mode, as Mac OS 10.2 is still a 32-bit OS.

Apple's 64-bit Panther OS will be released in September. This will enable the new machines to operate in 64-bit mode.

Some questions for Newtek:

*What is Newtek's plan regarding 64-bit Macs?

*Will Lightwave 8 be 64-bit compliant?

*Will Newtek be attending Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference in June, to learn about the new Panther OS and 64-bit compilers?

*Can Newtek (being a major developer) get some pre-release information from Apple regarding this OS, enabling Newtek to get a head start on 64-bit development?

If there is no plan to recompile Lightwave for 64-bit Macs, what will Newtek do when these new machines are released with 8GB of RAM?

Jimzip
05-04-2003, 05:50 PM
Thanks for the update Beam, I was going to put up a thread regarding the 64 bits today!
Too bad I only just bought a new Mac... (Six months ago..):(

Jimzip:D

Beamtracer
05-04-2003, 06:40 PM
I bought a new G4 less than 6 months ago, but I don't feel disappointed. I've used it to do a lot of things in that time.

It may even be a good time to buy a 32-bit G4 Mac, as these machines will probably get discounted as the 64-bit machines arrive.

luka
05-04-2003, 07:00 PM
I think that is a valid request to ask Newtek to perhaps layout a roadmap for development for OSX 64b. We don't need to hear the actual development in the software but more that you are consciously developing for it.;)

Beamtracer
05-04-2003, 08:22 PM
The race has been on between Apple+IBM and AMD+M$ to be first to market with a dual 32/64-bit machine.

There is now no doubt that Apple will be first to offer a 64-bit machine to consumers. The publicity around this should dispel the myth among many Windows-lovers that the Macintosh is just a toy, as they look on with envy.

Newtek have stated that they will preview Lightwave 8 at Siggraph 2003, which occurs in the last week of July. This will be more than a month after Apple has formally announced its 64-bit platform at the WWDC in June. I think Mac Lightwavers will want to see some indication of Lightwave's development for Apple's new 64-bit platform.

Do we really need 8 Gigs of RAM?

As we know, current 32-bit computer systems cannot utilize more than 4GB of RAM. Many Lightwavers (including myself) are running 2GB of RAM, so there's a little headroom, but not much.

Think for a moment about your previous computer purchases. What was the computer you had before this current one? What year did you purchase this computer? How much RAM did it have when you first started using it?

Now compare that with what you are using today. Plot it on a graph and you can estimate how much RAM people will want to use in the next generation of machines.

For this reason alone, it is incomprehensible that some people see no need to migrate to a 64-bit platform. We are now scraping the RAM ceiling and will need to move beyond it. Especially for graphics/multimedia professionals who use multiple RAM-guzzling applications at the one time.

In Newtek's case, it would be better to lead the pack and quickly recompile Lightwave for Apple's next generation machines. This would leave the pc-centric 3D Studio Max in the dust.

luka
05-04-2003, 11:02 PM
Yes I would love to see LW8 rendering the Raytrace/Radiosity scene on a G5 @ Siggraph. How cool would that be!

Jimzip
05-05-2003, 01:38 AM
That's a very good idea. And if the Macs are to be released in the third quarter, alongside Lightwave 8.0, then perhaps Newtek have already thought of this opportunity.
Apparently developers are notified of any serious OS upgrades long before they arrive.
It would be really amazing to have Lightwave as one of the first apps for OS 11, and to have it as one of the first 64-bit apps for Mac..

pixym
05-05-2003, 08:31 AM
"DO WE REALLY NEED 8 GB RAM?"

Yes I do Beem Tracer!
I architectural rendering, the more amount of ram the better... for the huge scene I use to play with ;)

Zarathustra
05-05-2003, 08:43 AM
Well, hopefully NT is focusing on LW8 for 64bit Macs. I truly hope that all their time is going towards that and THAT'S why there's no 7.5b for Mac.
I, for one, could skip 7.5b if 8 for 64bit happens. Especially at SIGGRAPH.

sigh. Now I have to squirrel away $$$ for 8 AND a new Mac.

tallscot
05-05-2003, 03:49 PM
Isn't Maya already 64 on other platforms - Unix?

Also, the 4 gig limit is 4 gigs per process/application, not a 4 gig limit for the computer.

Beamtracer
05-05-2003, 05:17 PM
Originally posted by pixym
"DO WE REALLY NEED 8 GB RAM?"

Yes I do Beem Tracer!
I architectural rendering, the more amount of ram the better... for the huge scene I use to play with ;)

Hi pixym. I haven't done architectural renderings, but it's interesting to know that you have a need for more than 4 gigs of RAM if it was available.

Many video applications also need huge amounts of RAM. Some actually cache the video into RAM because it plays better than off a hard drive.

Originally posted by tallscot
the 4 gig limit is 4 gigs per process/application, not a 4 gig limit for the computer.
That's true. There are some Windows-based systems that have separated 2 applications into 2 different partitions of RAM.
This is not very practical.

In 32-bit systems, the processor can only address 4 gigs of RAM at any one time. I don't believe you could run Lightwave and Modeler successfully in 2 different 4-gig partitions of RAM, and still have the Hub transfer information between them. I don't think it would work.

No... going to a true 64-bit platform is the only answer.

64-bit Macs will be on sale before too long (with AMD machines coming a bit later). Lightwavers will soon be using computers with more than 4 gigs of RAM. We will expect that Lightwave utilizes all of this RAM.

Newtek must make Lightwave a 64-bit application to retain market share.

Zarathustra
05-05-2003, 05:29 PM
We will expect that Lightwave utilizes all of this RAM.

Can someone explain to me what the difference is between "use" and "utilize"?

If not, then can someone explain to me why "utilize" has replaced "use" in the English language?

:confused:

Nakia
05-05-2003, 06:21 PM
The more RAM you throw at a Unix based system the better you are. We have 64gigs to 96gigs in our big Solaris servers at work.
Mac OS X is UNIX so it should take advantage of gigs ram.
Maya runs on SGI's which are 64bit but not sure if Maya is 64bit.
Also need to remember LW 5.6 ran on 64bit IRIX/Sun systems wonder how much Ram it took advantage of then?

archiea
05-06-2003, 01:52 AM
well, we gotta assume that the rumors may just be that.. rumors...

remember the G5 rumor for the jan 2002 macworld. I remember us watching the keynote, and hearing people say.. "yeah, its the G5". yeah, didn't you hear, its going to be the G5 that is going to be announced". I mean people were just so freakin sure at that time.

Now we are talking a 64 bit CPU...

They only thing that kinda brings (positive) conspiracy theories to mind is the relsease dates... pather "in spetember" and Lightwave "4th quater'. I think September is early 4th quater. Imagine LW 8 being ready for Siggraph, but NT pushed it down to the Fall to accomodate the new OS release.

But this is just a guess, its not even a rumor....

Also, Beam, really, I'll coment on this because its in your signature. But to use basically the negative side of whats a side effect of western policy, or lets just say US policy, to make an example of the lack of humanatarian outcome from one aspect of the situation in the world, is just so unreasonable.

And i don't want to hear another p*ssy response that this is not a forum to discuss this. If one has to be bombarded with each reply or post with someone's political view, then expect an argument.
Especially if its so one sided.

Because really, mayby without tyranny, female castration, female oppression, meaningless and outdated tribal blood feuds, state sanctioned ignorance and propaganda, religious and ethnic genocide, torture chambers, an impotent and beureaucratic United Nations, a blood thirsty Israel, a coporate/rich driven US, terror driven clerics, faith driven terrorist, state funded terrorist, organized religion, and man's general hatred and fear, then you wouldn't need Cluster bombs, Depleated uranium, and uncleared minefields that lead to the destruction of water supplies if not civillians in general.

I'm just so tired of these blanket, one sided, so liberal sloguns that make no sense and do not even reflect the realities of the world. Like peace happens in the middle east on its own. People, get to the realization that there are parts of the world where people just hate, and thats it, be it because of ignorance, boredom, fear, hunger, religion, despair or just plain revenge. Peace just doesn't come on its own. Peace comes from a balance of economics, or greed if you want, and/or fear. Fear of a nuclear exchange, fear of being ostracised, fear of change. doesn't really matter of what. Its far from the altruistic image of people holding hands and sing "coom by ya". Humans are very selfish animals, its just making sure that you can get everybody not to kill for what they want. Thats peace.

And beam, I repect the exchanges that we have had in the past, but to be bombarded with every post by such a blanket statement just invites debate.

Meshbuilder
05-06-2003, 03:25 AM
Check this out.. I hope this is true.. :)

http://www.macbidouille.com/niouzcontenu.php?date=2003-05-05#5440

paintboy
05-06-2003, 05:44 AM
oh great, more gee whiz, we're so inadequate ,64 bit will make thing so much better?(snore) we cant even get a working maint patch for 7. 5.
apples sys upgrades create more trouble than they are worth(have you tried X.2.5?) and you guys gonna count on these same people to create a functioning 64bit sys to do your daily work on....HA! talk about fantasys.
And Beam....arthur is right , this is a LW forum, you have the right to hold any opinion about world affairs you wish, but you dont have the right to hammer
every one here with your personal "statement" each time you post.
this is not the place, and it really should be removed.

Zarathustra
05-06-2003, 07:06 AM
(archiea):If one has to be bombarded with each reply or post with someone's political view, then expect an argument.

(Paintboy):...this is not the place, and it really should be removed.

I tried notifying the powers that be a long time ago about tags like this and obviously nothing was done. It's the old addage of "the squeaky wheel gets the grease"; in other words, my one voice doesn't make much noise but perhaps multiple voices will.

I would hope that the most spirited debates on this forum would be about Lightwave and not religious or political views. I'm sure there are newsgroups and forums aplenty for the latter.

paintboy
05-06-2003, 07:48 AM
i reported the post to the moderator this am.
others who feel that this is not the place for "personal flag waving" should do the same. we will see whether it makes any difference, i suppose?
let keep it "on topic" and leave your personal"BS" outside.
it makes for a better forum.

BY the way...Beam i have been hanging around here for 3 years
and not a single one of your forcast or prognostications has ever come true.
not once...
spare us please

Johnny
05-06-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by archiea
And beam, I repect the exchanges that we have had in the past, but to be bombarded with every post by such a blanket statement just invites debate.

or, we could just take the high road and let it be.

J

Beamtracer
05-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by archiea
And i don't want to hear another p*ssy response that this is not a forum to discuss this.

Hi Arthur. There's a political thread in the General section of the Newtek forums. I'll discuss it with you there if you want.
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1957

Feel free to also start a thread about the pros and cons of signatures.

64-bit CPUs

Even apart from the 64-bit issue, software needs to be maintained to run efficiently on new operating systems and CPUs.

Sometimes new OSs are incompatible with existing applications (look at 10.2.5), and software needs to be optimized to run efficiently on new CPUs.

If Lightwave 8 had to be delayed to incorporate these things, then I'd support that. The 64-bit issue falls into the same category. Otherwise Lightwave will not be able to see all the RAM on these new systems. That would create a very frustrating situation for users.

tallscot
05-06-2003, 03:22 PM
We are now at 10.2.6. :)

pixym
05-06-2003, 03:25 PM
Hi all,

IMHO, 64 or 32bit is important solely if it really increases rendering speed... If not nothing to add :rolleyes:

Beamtracer
05-06-2003, 03:45 PM
Hi pixym,

Going from 32-bit to 64-bit processors doesn't necessarily increase rendering speed for that reason. The new IBM970 processor will be much faster, but probably due to other processor enhancements.

The biggest gain from going 64-bit is the ability to use more RAM.

I'm sure some people are quite happy using lower amounts of RAM. Maybe even those who write the code for Lightwave get by quite well on less RAM.

However, in some production environments you need more RAM.

I think it was around 1996 that I bought a PowerPC Mac with 16MB of RAM. I thought it was a lot of RAM. I never would have dreamed of owning a machine with 2GB of RAM like I do now. It would have seemed outrageous and unnecessary.

It doesn't take long in computer years before components double in size. Those who are currently using 2GB of RAM are almost to the RAM limit (4GB) of 32-bit machines.

pixym
05-06-2003, 03:50 PM
Hi Beamtracer

Yes, it is necessary for me to have more RAM specially in architectural rendering!

So, Let's wait and see what Apple is going to really send on the market ;)
Perhaps not a PPC 970 but a dual G4 1,6ghz! :D

archiea
05-07-2003, 01:34 AM
Beam,

thanks for the mature response. I didn't expect anything less....

js33
05-07-2003, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Beamtracer
Those who are currently using 2GB of RAM are almost to the RAM limit (4GB) of 32-bit machines.

No your only half way there.
Do any Macs actually support 4 gigs of RAM?

Cheers,
JS

Ed M.
05-07-2003, 07:09 PM
OK, let's see if we can bring some clarity to some issues here...

First, the PPC ISA was designed from the very start to transition *seamlessly* from 32bit to 64bit. This means that 64bit PPCs will run 32bit code as fast as an identical 32bit native variant at identical clocks. So, Apple should be able to start using this part easily by just using it as a 32bit implementation in the beginning.

As far as speed increases with regard to 32 to 64bit... There won't be ANY based on that simple migration alone. However, there are other processor/system enhancements that will need to be taken into consideration. Also keep in mind that the same thing applies to Microsoft/AMD 64bit systems as well. Simply going to 64bit adds no speed.

Memory...

Addressing more than 4GB is a forward looking design; especially if Apple is (or anyone) serious about video, 3D and servers. Period. End of story.

If I'm not mistaken, the current Moto parts offer support for 36bit already. It's just that Apple hasn't decided to take advantage of it. However, having a clean 64-bit address space is an advantage, as opposed to the 32bit + extensions. That is to say:

36bit extended addressing = support for up to 16GB for current Moto parts.

Keep in mind that this is usable on a per-process basis. Of course most apps like Photoshop would do just dandy with this, but why bother when you can migrate to a clean 64bit solution instead? In fact, by utilizing the PPC970 Apple will be doing exactly that.

Again, video processing *is* a a significant desktop application and one that Apple is pushing and video apps will simply GLOM as much RAM as you can throw at them.

Mac support for 4GB...

None of the current Macintosh systems have support for 4GB RAM

--
Ed

Keith Henery
05-08-2003, 01:35 AM
Wouldn't it be encouraging to hear Newtek say anything
about what is going on with their software on the Mac
platform? Like...anything. Like - any, little, thing...

Darth Mole
05-08-2003, 01:39 AM
They have - LW 8.0 preview at SIGGRAPH.

And then we just wait until it appears out of the blue on their website, some time in Q4. Or maybe Q1 2004...

Beamtracer
05-08-2003, 03:52 PM
Regarding the fact that many Lightwave users are currently using 2GB of RAM, and will soon need more than 4GB.... .....

Originally posted by js33
No your only half way there.
Do any Macs actually support 4 gigs of RAM?

Cheers,
JS

My point all along has been that in computer years it doesn't take long for capacity to double.

In only a few months Apple will release 64-bit machines and break through that 4GB RAM barrier. We want Newtek to support the move to 64-bit Macs, as well as other enhancements to optimize for the speed of the new IBM processor.

Siggraph:
Will anyone here be going to Siggraph? If so, you'll probably go to Newtek's stand to see this preview version of Lightwave 8.

Check out if it is running on Mac or Windows.
If there's no Mac version on display, ask them about support for the IBM970 processor, which will have been announced by Apple a month before.

Monday, June 23, 2003
This is the day when Steve Jobs will present the new 64-bit platform to the audience at the WWDC in San Francisco. IBM representatives will be holding lectures about the new processors.
An exciting time for the Mac community.

js33
05-08-2003, 06:48 PM

Monday, June 23, 2003
This is the day when Steve Jobs will present the new 64-bit platform to the audience at the WWDC in San Francisco. IBM representatives will be holding lectures about the new processors.
An exciting time for the Mac community. [/B]

Yawn.....
I think the only ones who care anymore are the diehard Mac fans. I think most people came to the realization quite a while ago that most applications including Lightwave are made for PC first and Mac second if at all.

Cheers,
JS

Jimzip
05-08-2003, 09:08 PM
YAWN?!??!
This is soo cool!
A new OS! And so soon, Jaguar has just got on its feet, and now Panther is coming out! And to be released on the new computers, that's even better.
News like this doesn't come around often. Think of how long 32bit systems have been around for. It is exciting.

Too bad I only bought a new G4 last year! :(

js33
05-09-2003, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by Jimzip
YAWN?!??!
This is soo cool!
A new OS! And so soon, Jaguar has just got on its feet, and now Panther is coming out! And to be released on the new computers, that's even better.
News like this doesn't come around often. Think of how long 32bit systems have been around for. It is exciting.

Too bad I only bought a new G4 last year! :(

Hi Jimzip,

Sorry to sound so cynical but I can't stand the Mac rumor machine.
As soon as I bought an iMac g4 w/superdrive and a 10 gig iPod, which were top of the line when I bought it, they came out with a 17" iMac and a 20 gig iPod. I felt ripped off because if I had waited 2 months I could of had the latest for about the same price. I am mainly a PC guy and have a P4 2.5 Ghz hooked up to 2 19" monitors and the iMac just seems like a toy in comparison.
I hardly use it now. Anyone want to buy it?

Cheers,
JS

Johnny
05-09-2003, 07:33 AM
Sorry to sound so cynical but I can't stand the Mac rumor machine.
As soon as I bought an iMac g4 w/superdrive and a 10 gig iPod, which were top of the line when I bought it, they came out with a 17" iMac and a 20 gig iPod. I felt ripped off because if I had waited 2 months I could of had the latest for about the same price. I am mainly a PC guy and have a P4 2.5 Ghz hooked up to 2 19" monitors and the iMac just seems like a toy in comparison.
I hardly use it now. Anyone want to buy it?

so...the rumor machine is bad because better machines keep being released?

Or is it that you feel that said rumors are just hot air, and don't provide info that can be useful in a buy decision?

Rumors, while I wouldn't bet my life on them, do contain a level of accuracy. As I recall, both eMac and the Cube were tossed about in the rumor mill. And while there weren't exacting descriptions, you got the idea that something new and different was coming.

To me, the notion that 64-bit Macs and a 64-bit OSX isn't some wacky, far-out, exotic fantasy. Just the 'handles more RAM' angle alone is enough to make me excited, and fits with modern work habits.

Fact is, I/we are doing more at the same time with OSX-driven Macs. I'd love to have more capacity in this area. I usually have 4 or 5 major things going at once (LW in that mix) and once in awhile, an app will puke...lack of RAM? I have 1.5 GB! what if I had 4? 8? X?

If greater capacity in this area will enable me to chuck out more work, I think that's great.

down with puking, up with chucking!

J

js33
05-09-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by Johnny
so...the rumor machine is bad because better machines keep being released?

Or is it that you feel that said rumors are just hot air, and don't provide info that can be useful in a buy decision?

Rumors, while I wouldn't bet my life on them, do contain a level of accuracy. As I recall, both eMac and the Cube were tossed about in the rumor mill. And while there weren't exacting descriptions, you got the idea that something new and different was coming.

I just hate the fact that everything in the Mac world is SOooooooooo overhyped and the fact that you have to get your information from rumor sites. Why don't they do away with the hype and Bull**** and just tell you whats going on. The PC world isn't filled with hype, bs and wild speculation. I don't think 64-bit OS or machines are BS just all the hype and BS that surrounds it.

Cheers,
JS

Meshbuilder
05-10-2003, 03:53 AM
Many companies tried to copy the winning concept of the iMac. I understand why Apple don't want to tell people about their new projects. They also spend millions of dollars on design and new technologies and I don't think they like if someone stole their ideas before they have released it.

I also want to know what they are up to, but I do understand why they don't tell as a thing.

Yes the PC world has no specualtions at all and I think that's boring. Apple keynote is really fun to watch and I hope Apple continues with that..

pixym
05-10-2003, 06:12 AM
AlienWare has launched some very beautiful PC,
Mmm, I would by one if I had to buy a new PC instead of my Dell Dimension 8250 P4 3.06ghz/1,5Gb/Radeon 9700 Pro...

http://www.alienware.com/

Meshbuilder
05-10-2003, 09:17 AM
That's a pretty cool looking machine..

pixym
05-10-2003, 09:28 AM
Yes Meshbuilder, this machine is very very good looking as your Kaminorian on your web site ;)

Meshbuilder
05-10-2003, 04:08 PM
Thanks pixym :)

Beamtracer
05-11-2003, 05:24 AM
Yawn.....

Don't Windows-lovers ever get excited about anything? :)

Just because AMD stumbled and delayed the release of their 64-bit machines, giving Apple a publicity coup. AMD still has to wait for M$ to bring out a release version of Windows that'll work on their processor.

pixym
05-11-2003, 07:08 AM
It is quite borring to read word about people who love OS X and Mac and hate PC under Windows... :rolleyes:
The only thing that important to my little eyes is to do my client job! whatever on a mac or a PC, I work with the two plateform and for the moment windows is a very good plateform for me for Lightwave 7.5 (Dell Dimension 8250 P4 3.06ghz/1,5Gb RAM/ATI radeon 9700 Pro with Windows XP pro) My two Powermac (mono G4 867/1,5Gb RAM/Nvidia Geforce 2mx - dual 867/2Gb RAM/Nvidia Geforce 4mx) are less power full so I use them to create another multimedia contents such as textures or Modeling under Archicad...
Please stop telling something about windows is not good or something else :mad:
PC and Mac are doing a very good job that is not possible to do it with your hands!
Thank to Microsoft, INTEL, IBM, Apple, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates... Newtek, and all the other computer industry actors that make my work easier :)

archiea
05-11-2003, 11:23 AM
You know, I'm not much of a fan for these PC cases. They feel very plasticy. Engineering is different, and the Alienware stuff seems pretty kewl. I gotta hand it to apple for their boxes as far as accessability...

I got one of the Shuttle PC's, the 8B51G intel motherboard based one. Its all aluminum, with a thick clear plastic face plate ala Apple ICE plasic on the G4 towers. they sell a faceplate the glows in different colors too. Its a very sweet box... USB and firewire in the front and back, built in Surround sound and mic and head set inputs on the front. Alienware sells one as an OWM box as the Area 51 hybrid. I built my own.

I'm not a fan of the large PC towers, most of them tend to be pretty ugly.

pixym
05-11-2003, 01:03 PM
Have you ever tried to buy other Shuttle in order to make a big renderfarm with them ? :D

I consider buying 10 of them only for rendering task :p

Go to the link bellow to see a massive linux cluster with 144 shuttles:
http://space-simulator.lanl.gov/

If you want to see a G4 renderfarm please upload my attached file...

So, the Alien ware PC case do not seem to be very easy to open, but it looks beautiful...

Regards

js33
05-11-2003, 01:07 PM
Don't Windows-lovers ever get excited about anything? :)

Hi Beam, (hehe)

It's not that we don't get excited it's just that I hate the overblown hype and the fact that you have to get your information from rumor web sites. It seems very childish.
Like you can't just get the information and make up your own minds. You have to be handheld by Steve and told what to buy.

Look at http://news.com.com/ on the right panel they have several videos of upcoming 64-bit Windows and machines. No hype no BS just the information.

Cheers,
JS

Johnny
05-12-2003, 07:42 PM
it seems very childish.
Like you can't just get the information and make up your own minds. You have to be handheld by Steve and told what to buy.

whoa, whoa, whoa!

don't be lumping ME in that group! I do look to Mac news sites to tell me what's coming and what to expect, but don't think for a moment that any sizeable portion of Mac-using pros are sitting here in puddles of our own drool just waiting for orders from the Matrix!

sheesh!

I'm in touch with my inner geek, and secure enough to admit that I get excited to read about developments that can make my Mac experience more fun and productive.

So what? I know for a fact that there are many PC users who also get excited when they hear about new developments, too!

Why, it wasn't to long ago that PC users were crowing that Windows was going to be 'just like Mac'...I let them enjoy that!

;->

J

Beamtracer
05-12-2003, 11:35 PM
The difference is that Mac users generally don't find the need to log onto the Windows forum and tell them how boring their discussions are.

The IBM970 processor is already in the fabrication plants, so it's not vaporware. It is a processor built to order for the Macintosh, even to the extent of including Motorola's Altivec extensions.

My purpose for starting this thread was to build awareness that this new processor will soon be here, and to draw Newtek's attention to the fact that Mac Lightwave users would like the next revision of Lightwave to take full advantage of this new processor.

The move to the 64-bit processor will be one of the most important platform transitions that Apple has embarked on. The "hype" is no more "overblown" than that for Windows on AMD's coming 64-bit processors. By the way, no PC manufacturer has yet announced a Windows machine running AMD64, but we know it will come.

Chazz
05-13-2003, 09:08 AM
Apple annoucements are always a big deal because their stuff is just cooler than Windows. Shopping in an Apple store is like a trip to Dean & Deluca compared to Sears.

And Beam, as excited as we all are about the possibility of a 970 powered mac, you *probably* shouldn't be making these bold statements about June annoucements...it may not be that case.

Red_Oddity
05-13-2003, 10:13 AM
Originally posted by mfessenden
Apple annoucements are always a big deal because their stuff is just cooler than Windows. Shopping in an Apple store is like a trip to Dean & Deluca compared to Sears.

Yeah, cool, nice design, but what does a well designed computer case add to my workflow...not much i might add...

I hate the new OS, atleast give us the ability to strip the OS of the resource consuming shell and bull**** programs....
Stop helping us by not helping us (no more hardcoded crap features please...)

Don't get me wrong, i love to see a more powerfull Mac, but it's more because most of my colleges are die hard Mac fans, so all they buy is Mac workstations, meaning i have to do 3D on a Mac, and i'm used to the flow of a Wintel driven workstation....

Lets' just hope Apple can make up to the hype and drop some seriously powerfull systems on the market...

Chazz
05-13-2003, 10:48 AM
I think it goes a lot deeper than just case design. My PC friends love the way I can plug my camera into my G4 and iPhoto comes up and grabs all the photos...same is true with my iPod. There are lots of little things like that that draw people to the Mac. It's not that Macs do anything radically different, they just do it well.

And please, Windows XP is a huge resource hog. I'm sure the next rev with it's Quartz rip-off interface will be just as much so. The difference is, Windows machines have CPUs that can handle a lot of the interface extras, whereas a lot of Macs don't.

Johnny
05-13-2003, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by Red_Oddity
Yeah, cool, nice design, but what does a well designed computer case add to my workflow...not much i might add...

I'm with you there, friend! Doesn't help me much having a high-gloss plastic case made partly of 'optical-grade' plastic.

You can argue that Jobs wanted things to be attractive to consumers, which I think is a fair reason for the wild plastic eye candy.

But I'd like to see some other designs that can help Apple get consumers' attention, while also making better use of my deskspace, easier access to connectors.

I can't complain about access to the insides...that's just about heaven for me.

Johnny

pixym
05-13-2003, 12:33 PM
Bla bla bla...
We can talk about something else until The next Apple or Windows Machines generation :rolleyes:

js33
05-13-2003, 03:01 PM
The difference is that Mac users generally don't find the need to log onto the Windows forum and tell them how boring their discussions are.

Hehehe. Don't forget Beam I also own an iMac w/Superdrive.
I just don't think of myself as a Mac user because I use my Wintel machine most of the time. I guess I just wasn't sucked into the Borg Matrix like the rest of you. Just kidding. Don't get all worked up over it.

Cheers,
JS

js33
05-13-2003, 03:31 PM
whoa, whoa, whoa!

don't be lumping ME in that group!

OK Johnny you are hereby unlumped! hehehe

...but don't think for a moment that any sizeable portion of Mac-using pros are sitting here in puddles of our own drool just waiting for orders from the Matrix!

sheesh!

Should he take the red pill or the blue...
Don't worry Steve will tell you which one to take...

Just kidding. Your word thought image was actually better than the one I had in mind.

Cheers,
JS

Beamtracer
05-13-2003, 03:52 PM
Lightwave's code needs to be recompiled before it can utilize a 64-bit platform. It'll take a bit of time, effort and money on Newtek's part. We need enthusiasm for it, as if nobody is interested it won't happen.

Now is the time we should be discussing it. IBM has stated publicly that its fabrication plants are already churning out the new '970' processor. It won't take that long before there are sufficient numbers of these processors for Apple to be able to start manufacturing machines that incorporate them.

The recompiling of Lightwave to work on a 64-bit platform should begin now so that it is completed before September, when Apple's 64-bit Panther OS is released.

It's an expense that has to be undertaken anyway. Because of looming RAM limits, the move to 64-bit is not a matter of "if" but "when". Newtek may as well take the glory and be first.

Red_Oddity
05-15-2003, 03:19 AM
For some reason i think Newtek isn't stupid enough to ignore the new 64bit OS...

I mean, they've always been pretty much up to date with new Mac OSs...just look at when Apple released OSX, Newtek had a version of Lightwave ready and waiting...

js33
05-15-2003, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Red_Oddity
For some reason i think Newtek isn't stupid enough to ignore the new 64bit OS...

I mean, they've always been pretty much up to date with new Mac OSs...just look at when Apple released OSX, Newtek had a version of Lightwave ready and waiting...

Well it looks like they need to hire some programmers first. Have you seen the careers section lately...
http://www.newtek.com/newtek/careers.html
All the LW programming positions are open. Well hopefully they are just looking to add people to the team they already have. Although since the core team left to start Luxology they may be starting over with a new team.

Cheers,
JS