PDA

View Full Version : magic glass

Nemesys
10-04-2005, 01:23 PM
I am aware that the following has little to do with lightwave in gereneral but it will give you a better understanding how light can be refracted in different ways.

Hey want to try a really cool science experiment. I assure you that nothing bad will happen. Take a peice of Pyrex glass like the tray found in a microwave but look for something smaller...maybe a nicnac. Dip the pyrex glass into a pool of corn oil and something amazing will happen. Again, I remind that it has nothing to do with a chemical reation or anythink of that nature. It involves the refraction of light and how curtain objects refract light differently. Glass refraction index is 1.5 Like the magic of David Blane this will totally freak you out.

gotta run see ya!!!!!!!!

IgnusFast
10-04-2005, 02:02 PM
Hey want to try a really cool science experiment. I assure you that nothing bad will happen. Take a peice of Pyrex glass like the tray found in a microwave but look for something smaller...maybe a nicnac. Dip the pyrex glass into a pool of corn oil and something amazing will happen. Again, I remind that it has nothing to do with a chemical reation or anythink of that nature. It involves the refraction of light and how curtain objects refract light differently. Glass refraction index is 1.5 Like the magic of David Blane this will totally freak you out.

gotta run see ya!!!!!!!!

Okay, not only am I currently at work, but I lack both Pyrex and Corn Oil at home. Anyone have a pic?? :)

connerh
10-04-2005, 03:04 PM
I'm assuming that the corn oil and the pyrex have the same refractive index, making the glass "disappear" when it's in the oil.

lardbros
10-05-2005, 01:18 PM
Eh???

I don't have any perspex or corn oil on me either...
but it's something to put on my Xmas list i guess! :D

Nemesys
10-06-2005, 10:21 AM
I'm assuming that the corn oil and the pyrex have the same refractive index, making the glass "disappear" when it's in the oil.

That's absolutely correct, pyrex will become invisible when immersed in corn oil.

SplineGod
10-07-2005, 09:14 PM
So if we could build aircraft out of pyrex and immerse them in corn oil.... :)