PDA

View Full Version : Underwater explosion

Qslugs
10-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Hey all, Im in need of some assistence. I haven't dont much with Lightwave's particles and will be needing to create a underwater explosion that is contained within a sealed volume. So I have 3 questions, 1. basic setting sugestions; particles and hv's 2. Are there any tutorials for this sort of thing that anyone can think of. 3. And does anyone know anywhere one can find resource material on the internet for underwater explosions? I will probably be checking out some submarine movies in a week or so, hopefully to help figure out what visual elements I will need to create. And by no means is this a hey can someone do this for me type of request. I am just looking for any suggestions anyone here may have.

Also if I can get this all figured out I may throw up a tutorial of how I did it.

So far I know I need bubbles going up and the explosion going outward.

Qslugs
10-04-2005, 01:06 PM
http://www.newtek-europe.com/uk/support/tutorials/tut4/1.html

Wouldnt you know, right after I ask a question, I find a tutorial. I think this is a good place for me to start :)

mattclary
10-04-2005, 02:18 PM
Awesome!!! I need to try those tutorials, didn't know Newtek Europe had any up! :thumbsup:

p.s. Man I love pdfs!

MiniFireDragon
10-04-2005, 03:01 PM
Dude, that explosion is so cool and real looking in that tut!!

Qslugs
10-09-2005, 03:09 PM
Yeah now what I'd like to know is why they dont have all the stuff over there, over here as well?

And yes, that tutorial is awesome. I just wish that they had posted the scene file for that one. I tried doing the tutorial, however it didnt turn out quite like the one that was rendered. If anyone has any luck with that,posting up the resulting scene file would be very cool :) Otherwise I will get back to it in a week or two.

meanlebh
10-09-2005, 07:03 PM
nice looking tut, i just downloaded the pdf and am probably going to give it a try soon, will let you know if i can get anything to look like the one they did...thanks for the link.

-Brian

Qslugs
10-10-2005, 09:01 AM
Hey cool. I did get something that was close, but it wasnt exactly what I was seeing in the video footage. In my opinion, the one that is shown is much more refined than the one that I threw together. Although who knows, maybe I screwed up somewhere following along the tutorial.

BeeVee
10-10-2005, 09:04 AM
It may be that your particles are twisting? If that's the case, then giving them a small amount of movement should solve the prob. Right now, it's only the mover null that's moving, but move the voxels as well...

B

Rabbitroo
10-10-2005, 09:21 AM
Hey cool. I did get something that was close, but it wasnt exactly what I was seeing in the video footage. In my opinion, the one that is shown is much more refined than the one that I threw together. Although who knows, maybe I screwed up somewhere following along the tutorial.

Do you have any more pics of the head model in your avatar?
-K

Qslugs
10-10-2005, 10:22 AM
The rabbit head? Yeah I suppose. It was a head from a model I made way back when, the animation the frame was taken from was part of a test I was running trying to figure out the LW2Maya plugin pipeline.

BeeVee - its not the motion that looks off, its the hypervoxels, the ones I have sort of look like what the creator of the tutorial did, but a bit on the chunky side. I can post it up later. I am doing system maintenance at the moment.