PDA

View Full Version : Am I just stupid?

Medatron
10-04-2005, 12:13 AM
Ok, what am I missing? I know this is an easy fix, but it is driving me insane.

As you can see the other morphs in layout worked beautifully. However, I get to these 2 polys, things get wierd, and head shaped dents appear in my desk.

Please try not to make me feel TOO stupid... :help:

toby
10-04-2005, 01:41 AM
What kind of operation are you trying to do? Bevel? What were you saying about Morphs?

It looks like the face was twisted around as it was extruded.

Medatron
10-04-2005, 02:03 AM
oops... I should have said this in modeler. I am doing this from cross sections of an aircraft body. All the cross-sctions have the same number of points.

1 initial cross section was constructed, then copied, scaled, stretched and tweaked to fit the other cross sections. There are 21 total cross-sections.

The Morph tool under Multipy / Extend has worked great until I get to the polys shown.

Surrealist.
10-04-2005, 02:22 AM
I tried to duplicate that and I couldn't I tried putting an extra polygon in and different selection orders. I don't know. My instinct tells me something is in there that shouldn't be. Have you tried to just start from scratch? Say delete the last polygon, create a new one? Or even offset it. I don't know. Just seems that it should work but that something got fubar from that last copy you made. (assuming you made copies at some point) See if you can go back at least one and redo it or just create another poly. With fresh copys of the poly, that might eliminate it.

What it looks like is a bevel gone inside out or a bridge tool gone bad I can't figure why the morph tool would do that - not having used it much.

EDIT also check for stray points. Hit the w key in point selection mode and see if there are any points assigned to 0 polygons.

toby
10-04-2005, 09:58 PM
I've never used that tool! I will have to check it out. But it seems like this operation would be simpler with bevel -

Silkrooster
10-04-2005, 11:59 PM
I never used the morph tool. It looks like he is trying to loft the object. This would be done with the skin tool just above the morph tool.
Maybe someone needs to do a little demo on the morph tool (Oh, Proton :hey: ), so we can see what it is really capable of. Odds are I was not using it right.
Silk

Surrealist.
10-05-2005, 01:39 AM
It's actually simple.

Just select two polys and hit the tool. They have to be the same number of points. It will then create an "extrude" type of thing. Difference is you can have one poly with it's own shape and it will connect them.

I used it when going though the manual but forgot about it. Kinda cool for somethings. Just another tool.

Something seemed to happen on that last poly. It got roated, I don't know.

Surrealist.
10-05-2005, 01:57 AM
Got it to do it by facing the polys towards each other. I thought I had tried that. And I know that he has them facing the same way in the picture but he could have flipped one. It only works for me if they are facing the same way. Then after the fact you flip one so that it is facing out. (Second pick is just playing with it a little.)

Medatron
10-05-2005, 10:46 AM
I figured out what I did to make it do what it did, but the "WTF" is still a mystery.

To recreate it the way I did it is simple:

1. Create a circle, copy it and move the 2 apart
2. Knife them in half
3. Go to Polygon mode and kill the resultant polys
4. Go back to Point mode, use Make Poly to recreate the 2 polys you just murdered
4. Back in Polygon mode, select the 2 polys, go to the Multiply tab, and use Morph to connect them

It shouldn't do what it does, but I've been playing with it for a few hours and it has come up with some really cool shapes all on its own.

If I can remember after I wake up, I'll redo it with screen shots and show you what I mean, step by step.

Promethius
10-05-2005, 03:06 PM
The thing about using the morph tool is that you have to remember to delete the left over poly discs inside. I usually select the points and use extender in LW8.3

Than I do not have to delete any poly inside when making fuselages. But, that's me.