PDA

View Full Version : Commodore One

Hiraghm
05-04-2003, 12:36 PM
I thought some folks might be interested to know that the initial production run of the Commodore One motherboard just completed. We're told that it will be a couple of weeks while they replace the ROMs, since they just developed the ability for the ROMs to be internet-flashed. At the bottom of the pictures page there's a link to pictures of the production run. Including one of the final board with all the "easter eggs" on it.

You can find out more about the Commodore One here:
Commodore One Website (http://c64upgra.de/c-one/)

Briefly, the Commodore One is a reconfigurable motherboard based upon the Commodore 64, running a 65c816 cpu at 20 mhz. The graphics and sound capabilities have been enhanced, it's been made compatible with ATX cases and VGA monitors, and has a processor slot making it reconfigurable for a variety of systems, such as those employing Z-80 CPUS. By design, you could make the system an Apple-II, Atari, Timex-Sinclair, whatever suits you. Check it out; I can't give a worthy description here, briefly.
It isn't a C-64 emulator, either. It's a Commodore 64 enhanced in a massive way.

There's a mailing list if you want to follow the development as I have been doing. I figure some of the guys at Newtek might be interested in it, not for its commercial value, but because it's a neat and innovative electronic device, like the stuff Newtek makes ;)

Psyhke
05-04-2003, 05:35 PM
I had a Commodore 64, and have very fond memories of it. But maybe you can tell me, what is the purpose of making this machine? Is there a commercial purpose, or just nostalgia, what?

Hiraghm
05-04-2003, 07:47 PM
It's not to compete with Windows, if that's what you mean. It's a hobbiest's machine. From the discussions I've seen, people are working up multitasking OSes for it, alternate CPUs, robotic control, games and graphics apps. While speed-wise it's about as powerful as a '286, I suspect video-wise it will be a lot more powerful than that. My interest, for example, is possibly creating new games and/or graphics apps, to play with its enhanced capabilities. But you can always just play the old games on it, too. :)

Psyhke
05-04-2003, 11:26 PM
Hehe... I wonder if the games I had on cassette tape will load onto the Commodore One. :D

Okay, so for hobbiests then. I can dig that.

mastermesh
05-06-2003, 07:39 AM
I saw a whole bundle of os emulators on cd the other day and one of them was the comodore 64 :)