PDA

View Full Version : DV Output Problem VT4.5

Rich Deustachio
10-03-2005, 11:04 AM
When I change the prefs to output DV, it records stuttering video. I can output to the DV deck with the S output fine. Anyone else having a problem with DV out?

Dual Xeon 2.4s
1 Gig RAM
Supermicro P4DC6 mb
6 SCSI 73 gig Cheetahs

Paul Lara
10-03-2005, 01:14 PM
Rich,
I know that real-time DV out requires tremendous resources, and I wonder if dual 2.4's are up to the task.

ScorpioProd
10-03-2005, 05:36 PM
I have the same hardware you have, except 2.8GHz Xeons, and I have the same problem. In fact, once the stuttering starts, I'll even get a BSOD! The only program that can do that to my stable system.

The VT's live DV out is not reliable enough to trust for me.

But if you want to have the best shot at it working, touch NOTHING after you hit play. Don't use it for scrubbing in your project or anything like that. If you only hit play and then touch nothing, there is a good chance it will go to tape without stuttering.

The only reason Newtek can come up with for my problem is that I am still on Win2k. Which OS are you running?

I really think Newtek should put a disclaimer on their published specs on system requirements for the VT[4] about what limitations one can expect when using Windows 2000 with VT, this problem is just ONE of them.

Rich Deustachio
10-04-2005, 10:41 AM
I am also running Win2k Eugene. I don't understand why VT4 can't do this when other programs can with half the PC power. Even the low end Kron can do it and that runs on way less processing power.

ScorpioProd
10-04-2005, 01:30 PM
Well, Newtek develops for XP, not Win2000, which is why they don't seem to care about the Windows 2000 specific problems, like real-time DV out, or the audio levels in Win2k for any non-VT program, that one's a pain...

And you're right, other programs don't have the problem. Heck, Vegas 6 even fullys supports HDV under Windows 2000!

Part of the problem is due to the "non-DV" way that VT-Edit handles DV. What I mean is that 100% of your DV in a project has to be DECOMPRESSED and then RECOMPRESSED before it goes out the firewire. That's not how most other DV NLEs would do it.

vtlipera
10-07-2005, 07:45 AM
Eugene, does this imply that firewire out quality and quality by rendering out a dv project with one of the dv formats given by Newtek are about the same, as long as another dv program is used to output the rendered project with firewire to tape.
Thanks, Bill

ScorpioProd
10-07-2005, 02:30 PM
Correct, that is true.

inquisitive
10-08-2005, 02:58 AM
well then, i guess I second your request Eugene to have NT drop win2k from the compatible OS list. Maybe they can give us $$ to cover the cost of winXP pro, probably cheaper for them to do that.

ScorpioProd
10-08-2005, 04:18 PM
I have nothing against WinXP, running in Classic mode. :D

And it's certainly cheap enough if you buy the full OEM version, and I can't imagine why anyone who knows computers at all would buy anything else.

The full OEM version is less than the cost of an upgrade!

I already have it, but I just have to organized my install CDs before wiping my system... That will take a while.

tonsofpcs
10-11-2005, 10:24 AM
Do you have this problem if you render the project to one clip first and then play back just the one clip [maybe from a DDR if possible]?

ScorpioProd
10-11-2005, 03:57 PM
I haven't tried that, but that would defeat the point of the real-time firewire output.