PDA

View Full Version : external hard drives?

objuan
10-02-2005, 04:42 AM
Any recomendations, warnings, or comments on the plausability of high quality external hard drives for video play back?

I have a Toaster 2 system and I'm running out of space on my RAID array. Seeing as how I do visuals at concerts and raves, what I really want is:

Some badass, portable external drives that will playback 4+ layers of faded/tweaked video on my desktop Toaster; which I can then plug into a laptop and play back the same video loops with some video mixing software.

Any advice on good external drives, connection type, ideal codecs for this, and or recomended laptops and mixing software would be greatly appreciated. So would advice on where else to look into this.

Jim_C
10-02-2005, 05:52 AM
We haul a couple dozen Maxtor externals all over the country. Planes, trucks, back packs. Have not had a problem with a single one yet.

External FW drives are still just an ide drive so you are not going to get 4+ layers with them.

If you have FW 800 drives, you may squeeze out 2 to 3 layers, but you need a 64 bit slot for the card.