PDA

View Full Version : Sexy or not

jaxtone
10-02-2005, 01:43 AM
http://www.daz3d.com/shop.php?op=itemdetails&item=3646&trid=782708837

Its so sad that LW doesnt allow this... importing of rigged and textured objects.

What is the alternative for buying rigged and textured objects? Are there any LW sites just half as sexy I would be more than interested :)

J

toonafish
10-02-2005, 02:16 AM
You can load FBX files into Lightwave just install the FBX plugin. You can dowload it from teh alias website.

jaxtone
10-02-2005, 02:36 AM
Ok! Thanks for the info... Have you tried it yourself? If so... is it functional? Can you also run premade animations from Poser in LW with this FBX application?

Its worth giving a try... and I sure will... but what about the text from their webpage? Where it says like this:

Not Supported:
a. XSI (*purchase pCharacterImport for XSI instead)
b. Lightwave (converts bones to nulls, no weights this is a known issue with the lw fbx import plug-in)
All technical support for this product is handled by the artist: contact MarkDC @ http://www.cgauction.com/support.php

Maybe someone knowing better than me could tell them this is desinforamtion?

J

toonafish
10-03-2005, 05:41 AM
I used it some time ago with 8.0 and it worked quite well then. Tried to convert an FBX coming from C4D last week. I didn't get all the bones into LW but I did get teh weights and endomorphs. The object didn't have any textures, so I don't know about that. Then I loaded the FBX into maya and exported it as an FBX again. When I imported this FBX into LW it gave me Nulls instead of bones but I converted the Null-hierarchy into bones with the Nulls To Bones script. I just used the bones as a reference for a new rig so there were no keyframes involved.

I don't know if the FBX didn't import properly into LW because it came from C4D or if it's simply broken ( I downloaded the latest version from the alias website ). But with some workarounds you might be able to get your FBX into LW. As a Lightwave user you should be used to workarounds ;-)

Dodgy
10-03-2005, 06:21 AM
Yeah, I'm getting dubious about about MB and FBX ever since Alias took them over... I don't think they're going to keep the best interests of the wider 3d community at heart...

p_micah
10-03-2005, 08:47 AM
anyone know if i can convert/open 3d studio max files? i tried a ".max" but lightwave wouldn't open it. any ideas, please help.

thanks,
m.

pauland
10-03-2005, 06:38 PM
You can't open max files, but 3DS should be OK..

Exception
10-03-2005, 07:48 PM
anyone know if i can convert/open 3d studio max files? i tried a ".max" but lightwave wouldn't open it. any ideas, please help.

thanks,
m.

max is a proprietary format. Nothing can open max files but max itself. Even professional 3d converers have to interface with max to do anything with a max file.
FBX is quite a nice solution.

XiliX
10-04-2005, 09:36 PM
You can load FBX files into Lightwave just install the FBX plugin. You can dowload it from teh alias website.

Did you mean NewTek, instead of alias? Regardless, could you post a link to the plugin, thanks

XiliX