PDA

View Full Version : Questions about "Send to VGA Out" and Streaming

dvejendla
10-02-2005, 12:07 AM
Hello Everyone,

My church just demoed a Tricaster a few days ago. We were very impressed with what the Tricaster can do. However, I still have some unanswered questions that I am hoping someone on this forum has the answers to.

When "Send to VGA Out" is selected on the VGA input, does this cause the VGA input from being available as a source for the video feed? We want to be able to mix lyrics from Easyworship with our video cameras for our DVD recording feed, and at the same time send Easyworship lyrics from the VGA input to our projectors for our services. We are not doing IMAG, as our church size does not require it. The only occasions where we need the video mix sent to the projectors is for baptisms. Do I need a external scaler to accomplish this?

Have any of you been successful using Easyworship over the network/vga in from a laptop? We were able to get Powerpoint to work, but not Easyworship. Is it possible that Easyworship did not work properly because we did not have a dual-monitor setup?

I am also confused about streaming. I know that Tricaster only does a pull encode and our Windows Media Server provider said that they can work with a pull encode. But regarding the address that the Tricaster generates - where exactly does it come from - the local network? If my network is DHCP, do I have to give a different address to my streaming provider everytime I want to broadcast? Can you stream live and record a file for archived viewing at the same time?

Thank you.

Deepak

Tpaine
10-02-2005, 09:42 AM
I am also confused about streaming. I know that Tricaster only does a pull encode and our Windows Media Server provider said that they can work with a pull encode. But regarding the address that the Tricaster generates - where exactly does it come from - the local network? If my network is DHCP, do I have to give a different address to my streaming provider everytime I want to broadcast? Can you stream live and record a file for archived viewing at the same time?

Thank you.

Deepak

Deepak-
Yes, the address the tricaster generates is the I.p. address your dhcp network has assigned it(typically a 192.168.x.x), just like any other computer on your network. That is not the address you need to give to your streaming server provider though. If you have a static I.p. address at your church, this is the address you would need to give to them, however, you will probably need to speak with who ever runs your network if you don't know what your external I.p. address is, as well as asking them to forward the traffic on whatever port you are broadcasting(default is port 80, though lots of streaming providers like to use 8080 or 8081) to the tricasters local I.p. address from your router. This all sounds much more complicated than it is!

As for the rest of your questions, I'm afraid I am not familiar with that software, although if you were running a dual monitor setup on the client computer you were pulling video feed from via iVGA, be sure you have the correct monitor display checked in the iVGA client setup menu.

Hope this was helpful.
~Tom

ryanneves
10-03-2005, 03:28 PM
We used easyworship with the Ivga just last week. and though I have not used the VGA out, I assumed it was to send the IVGA signel out of the DVI port instead of the live mix.

By Default the DVI port sends the live mix of what you see in the preview monitor. I could be wrong on that.

But as I said we had no issues with easyworship or with the ivga program

Tarheel Cougar
10-03-2005, 03:55 PM
We used easyworship with the Ivga just last week. and though I have not used the VGA out, I assumed it was to send the IVGA signel out of the DVI port instead of the live mix.

By Default the DVI port sends the live mix of what you see in the preview monitor. I could be wrong on that.

But as I said we had no issues with easyworship or with the ivga program
That's correct. Normally, through the DVI port the Tricaster internally scales your program video up to the projector's resolution. It also scales up the IVGA source (which the Tricaster first had to scale down to NTSC) meaning if you switched to IVGA it looks bad through the projector because its a scaled up version of a computer image that was already scaled down to NTSC. The Send to VGA out is a way to fix this, it bypasses the scaling and routes the full resolution computer picture directly to the projector.

dvejendla
10-03-2005, 04:35 PM
Thank you all for your input. So, If send to VGA is selected, does the source from ivga for the video switch become unavailable?

Deepak

dvejendla
10-03-2005, 04:41 PM
Deepak-
Yes, the address the tricaster generates is the I.p. address your dhcp network has assigned it(typically a 192.168.x.x), just like any other computer on your network. That is not the address you need to give to your streaming server provider though. If you have a static I.p. address at your church, this is the address you would need to give to them, however, you will probably need to speak with who ever runs your network if you don't know what your external I.p. address is, as well as asking them to forward the traffic on whatever port you are broadcasting(default is port 80, though lots of streaming providers like to use 8080 or 8081) to the tricasters local I.p. address from your router. This all sounds much more complicated than it is!

Hope this was helpful.
~Tom

Tom,

Thanks for the info. So, if my ISP provides me with a dynamic IP address, this would be troublesome, correct? In this case, the address changes everytime I logon to the internet using their services.

If my ISP provided me with a static IP address, I would have to give my Windows Media Server provider the IP address only once, as the address would not change? Is that correct? Thanks again.

Deepak

Tarheel Cougar
10-03-2005, 05:11 PM
Thank you all for your input. So, If send to VGA is selected, does the source from ivga for the video switch become unavailable?

Deepak

Nope, the switcher and record out is not affected in any way. Only what you see on the VGA out is affected. (You'll figure it out in under 30 seconds of playing with it)

Tpaine
10-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Tom,

Thanks for the info. So, if my ISP provides me with a dynamic IP address, this would be troublesome, correct? In this case, the address changes everytime I logon to the internet using their services.

If my ISP provided me with a static IP address, I would have to give my Windows Media Server provider the IP address only once, as the address would not change? Is that correct? Thanks again.

Deepak

Deepak-
This is Correct. If your isp issues you a dynamic ip address you would in fact have to update your streaming people every time. If getting a static ip address is not a possibility for you, another option might be using a DDNS service, in fact several routers have built in functionality for this. A site I have used in the past is DynDNS.org (http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/). Although I have not tested this with the TriCaster, its free, and takes only minutes to set up(would require access to your router administration though, so you would need the help of whoever runs the network). This should allow you to give your streaming people a dns name instead of a changing ip address(something like mms://yourchurch.something.net) and that might alleviate some frustration.

Hope this helps.
~Tom

dvejendla
10-04-2005, 05:58 PM
Nope, the switcher and record out is not affected in any way. Only what you see on the VGA out is affected. (You'll figure it out in under 30 seconds of playing with it)

Tarheel Cougar,

Thanks again for the info. We are going to have a second demo scheduled so that our tech team can play with the Tricaster and figure out all of this, and see if it will do exactly what we need it to do.

Deepak

dvejendla
10-04-2005, 06:02 PM
Deepak-
This is Correct. If your isp issues you a dynamic ip address you would in fact have to update your streaming people every time. If getting a static ip address is not a possibility for you, another option might be using a DDNS service, in fact several routers have built in functionality for this. A site I have used in the past is DynDNS.org (http://www.dyndns.com/services/dns/dyndns/). Although I have not tested this with the TriCaster, its free, and takes only minutes to set up(would require access to your router administration though, so you would need the help of whoever runs the network). This should allow you to give your streaming people a dns name instead of a changing ip address(something like mms://yourchurch.something.net) and that might alleviate some frustration.

Hope this helps.
~Tom

Tom,

Thanks again for the info. I spoke with my Windows Media Server provider and they said if I have a static IP from my ISP, that is all they need to make it work. My Windows Media Server provider, who is also hosts my website, suggested a DDNS service also. My ISP will provide a static IP address, so I am ordering one and hope to test the streaming functions of the Tricaster on our second demo.

Deepak

Paul Lara
10-06-2005, 09:18 AM
When "Send to VGA Out" is selected on the VGA input, does this cause the VGA input from being available as a source for the video feed?

Absolutely not. In fact, I just posted a tutorial (http://www.newtek.com/tricaster/tutorials/ProjectorKeyer/index.php) on how you can key those VGA lyrics on top of your live cameras, sending that straight to VGA out.

Paul Lara
10-06-2005, 09:20 AM
...So, If send to VGA is selected, does the source from ivga for the video switch become unavailable?

No, sir.
You can still use it as part of the live video switch; it remains a useable video input. :thumbsup:

dvejendla
10-06-2005, 06:21 PM
No, sir.
You can still use it as part of the live video switch; it remains a useable video input. :thumbsup:

Paul,

Thanks for the clarification. I now understand how it works: when send to vga is selected, you get scan-converted version mixed into the video switcher for the video output, and high resolution version sent straight from the computer to the projector.

Deepak