PDA

View Full Version : Newbie model/animation question

MrJaemz
10-01-2005, 11:14 PM
I'm new to LW, and I want to make a couple easy animations of a polar bear. If I buy a model of a polar bear like this one:
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/160276
which is in .obj format and looks like just a pologon mesh, with no joints, is it possible to animate it? How easy? Or how hard? If it's possible, what is the process in a nutshell?
Thanks for the insight!
MrJ

Surrealist.
10-01-2005, 11:39 PM
The process is divided up into three basic sections:

1) Model

2) Rig

3) Animate.

After this is done the final step is to create a scene, that is props enviroment lighting, camera angles etc.

Now each one of these is an art in itself.

The level of detail and so on for each step is completely up to you.

With the model done the next step is to give it bones and set it up for animation. No small task in and of itself.

Then if this goes well then animation is another thing entirely.

I don't want to scare you away but at the same time it is no cake walk fromthe modeling stage forward. The adventure only begins. :) However it is very satifying work if you stick with it.

The best thing is to look up some tutorials on rigging and get some idea of the basics of animation.

It may take some study and practice,

However if you feel you have the aptitude and will be getting a hang of things there are plenty of rigged characters included in LW 8 that you can play with and study.

As for turorials and a great source book on animation, this book is a great place to start:

MrJaemz
10-02-2005, 04:05 PM
Thanks Surrealist! Just what I needed to know!