PDA

View Full Version : Intersecting Lines

jpaugh78
10-01-2005, 02:46 PM
If i have 2 lines that intersect, is there a tool to make a point at the intersection point? Or do i have to do it manually?

Surrealist.
10-01-2005, 03:31 PM
If you have to edges in separate layers use the Construct/Combine/Drill/Slice tool.

Select the axis for the operation.

If they overlap in anyway new vertices wll be created from the edge in the BG layer to the edge(s)in the foreground layer.

The layer order and gemoetry order seems to play a roll. For example, if you are on the Y axis the BG layer to do the slicing must have the geometry underneeth the gometry or at least on the exact plane as for it to work.

This offsetting is the key to making boolean functions work.

The other selections such as tunnel all preform different variations of the same idea, so you can play with those too.

If one of the layers is a solid object you can use the Solid Drill finction to do the same thing.

Then for solid on solid there are the Boolean functions.

jpaugh78
10-01-2005, 06:37 PM
Hmm, okay. I guess i just figured there was a tool that could put points at the intersection of lines. I'll try what you said though.

Surrealist.
10-01-2005, 07:57 PM
Well, maybe there is a plug in. Have you tried www.flay.com ?

jpaugh78
10-02-2005, 08:33 AM
Thanks for that link. I found a plugin that does just what i wanted. Here is the link if others wanted it too:
http://www.flay.com/GetDetail.cfm?ID=2125