PDA

View Full Version : DVD Creation Help

harley
05-04-2003, 07:02 AM
I want to start creating DVDs of my Toaster projects. I mostly do wedding projects and would use the DVDs for that. I am new at this, so please give me any advice that you have on the following:

1) DVD Authoring Software?
2) Best DVD Burners/Recorders? Internal/External?
3) Anything else needed?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Jim Capillo
05-04-2003, 09:31 AM
I'm using a Panasonic DMR-HS2 with 40 gig harddrive and -R discs. Very clean, one button (almost!) operation. Downside is limited chapter capabilities, but if you're doing weddings, that shouldn't be much of a problem.

$650-$700 on the web.

harley
05-04-2003, 02:06 PM
Thanks Jim. Anyone else have some advice as well?

Dan Hong
05-04-2003, 03:16 PM
I'm using a Philips external. I've also got a Pioneer internal for stuff that has to be authored. I try not to author when I can help it. When I do, I charge big for it (It's a big hassle). Go with the external.

kleima
05-04-2003, 06:31 PM
I use the Panasonic DMR-T2020 set-top recorder. The results look really good. This is for recording/encoding real time like a VCR. This is not for authoring.
Authoring is not that easy yet, and none of the software packages in a reasonable price range will take full advantage of DVD's capabilities (such as multiple camera angle, subtitles, etc.). If you don't care about those things, Pinnacle Impression DVD pro is the best I have found for the price ($350). I don't like it's MPEG encoding, however. So, I use Blade from In-Sync. You will not find better software MPEG encoding on the planet. (Up to 20-pass.) Too bad you have to buy a whole video editor just for the MPEG encoding, but many are doing just that. It is not a bad price either - $499. (It is better, AND easier than TMPGenc, albeit more expensive.)
If you do want subtitles etc., hold your breath for Adobe's DVD authoring package due this summer. Maybe they will deliver.
If you do authoring, you will also need a DVD recorder for you computer. (You cannot use the set-top recorder for anything but recorder real time like a VCR. It won't burn your final DVD image.)
Most any current DVD-R will work. Sony and Panasonic both have good ones.)