PDA

View Full Version : Just watch IK Booster Tut from Splinegod - a bit disappointed

MiniFireDragon
10-01-2005, 12:28 PM
I just got done watching the 2+ hours of video on the IK Bootser and found myself left a little disappointed. Most of the information was helpful but it lacked the one area I was really buying the video for: Dynamics. The video spends only 20mins on dynamic chains. And it didn't cover the one part of IK Boosters dynamics I was interested in. The Section shown in Proton's video:

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/LW8Demos/dynamiceffect.avi

That's the only problem I had with the tutorial though. It was worth the cost and taught me some stuff I wouldn't have thought of/known about.

Dodgy
10-01-2005, 02:44 PM
What are you interested in about dynamics?

MiniFireDragon
10-01-2005, 06:17 PM
That answer was in the posting Dodgy. I was having trouble doing exactly what was done in the video.

Ztreem
10-02-2005, 12:46 PM
just select the IKBooster-bone (I think it have to be a child bone or maybe just not the root bone) you want to apply the dynamics effect to and right click and drag in the dope track to select a range of frames. Select dynamics effect in the pop up menu play with the values click OK and your done (Just as Proton does in the video).Good Luck

MiniFireDragon
10-02-2005, 09:51 PM
I do wish it was that simple. I just want one bone to bounce (it is a 2 bone chain with null root). WHen I apply it, even though the neat little picture has 2 bounces in it, the thing keeps bouncing and bouncing and bouncing. I tried different settings. Most of the time it doesn't return to it's orignal position, but stays pointed up. Do the spring and other effectors on the IK Boost node have any say with the Dynamic Effect?

Things like that is what I wish was covered in the tutorial.

Dodgy
10-03-2005, 06:15 AM
You'd be better using the fuller version of Bone dynamics.

Enable bone Dynamics in the bottom right menu, and make sure you have bone dynamics only set for the items you wish animated.

You can do this by rightclicking on an object and going to Options>dynamics edit, then setting the Item (by rightclicking on the menu at the bottom left of the viewport) to All items (so your changes will affect all the items in your IKB object), and then right clicking on your objects and selecting the on/off setting.

Now dynamics will be off for all your items, so set the Item menu to Current and start going through the items you want dynamics on, and set them to on, and set their weight etc.

Once you're set, press calculate to start the simulation.

Ztreem
10-03-2005, 09:44 AM
Dodgy: that's a good suggestion.

Otherwise you could use follower with a delay to get secondary motion, to fake it can give you more control over the motion than dynamics, but if dynamics works then go for it.

Edit- Don't forget the oscillator motion modifier, it's great for wobbling things.

MiniFireDragon
10-03-2005, 12:10 PM
I will look into it. My only problem with the video is he never even coevered it. Not even a hint it was an option. And this is what I wanted to know more about. He did cover some neat stuff like using nulls and splines with IK boost. And Key reduction in graph editor using foot prints. That I didn't even know about.

SplineGod
10-03-2005, 07:09 PM
Mini,
I can understand that the video didnt cover dynamics in that level of detail on that particular topic. IKBoost is much deeper and broader then most people realize. The intention of the video was to get someone started with IKBoost rather then cover all of it in detail. It would literally take hours to do that as IKBoost is both a rigging and animation system (just try and go thru all the menus! :) )
What I would have done if you felt that you needed clarification in some areas is contact me, use my support site or the KURV support site to ask specific questions like that. I can also be contacted thru any of several instant messenger. I would have no problem helping out. I dont always have the time to check these forums. :)

MiniFireDragon
10-04-2005, 07:50 AM
I see it is alot, but I didn't know you didn't cover that in the video. I don't know how I could have asked that question about it being covered in the video. There is no table of contents on the site as what's on the video either.

So IT was a good video people!! DO buy it!! It just didn't have that little bit I was looking for on the Dynamic Effect popup window shown in Protons Video! It DID teach me loads of NEW stuff as well as Dynamic Effect controllers on the IK Boost nodes (Very BIG help)!!! And stuff I never knew about in the Graph Editor! (I feel like Elaine from Seinfeild with all the !!!!!!!) Hehehe

And I am already looking at buying another video off of Kurv, BUT I will be asking loads of questions, like, show me the table of contents!