PDA

View Full Version : Flying Trees

badllarma
10-01-2005, 10:07 AM
Ok all here my problem creating a woodland scene but from one camera angle the trees look like they are flying BUT when I move other cameras close in on the offending area the trees are as they should be, I'm using a low poly model and HD instance for duplication.
Any ideas?

spec24
10-03-2005, 10:56 AM
I would guess your trees are not touching the ground. That's certainly what it looks like. From certain angles, yes, they look like they're on the ground, but it appears they aren't. Have you looked at your scene from the front and side? I would guess your trees are above your ground object.

nthused
10-03-2005, 12:32 PM
Could be a couple of things as you're using HD Instance. Nuimber one...your tree model is not at 0,0,0 in modeler.

No. 2, Your tree is not at 0,0,0 in Layout.

No. 3, Your points are not conforming to the ground in modeler or layout.

Check all of these.

badllarma
10-04-2005, 01:28 AM
No. 2, Your tree is not at 0,0,0 in Layout.

Thanks guys for the replies I think this may have been the problem basically I set the tree to 0,0,0 then moved the ground plane up to the woodland and the land followed the tree line contours alot better, still not perfect but better.

The woods object is just the ground plane polys taken to another layer subdivide several times then the points only kept so in layout the woods is just a plane of points that by using HD instance it turned into the full woodland, one of the things that puzzels me still though is because the woodland points orginated from the ground plane I would of thought they would match perfectly but still they don't still have to play around a bit to have the trees planted correctly so to speak :question:

nthused
10-04-2005, 08:00 AM
I use spray points to place my points so the trees are not in a uniform pattern. To place teh points so that they interesect my terrain I do the following:

Select all the points with a lasso, press "i" and set them all to 0. Then delete the points not wanted for tree locations.

Use "Points to Poly" under your "Objects" tab. Place your terrain in a background layer. Extrude the one point polygons along the Y axis so that the lines extend above and below the land behind it.

Use Boolean Intersect with the land in the background. This will leave you with points above, below and intersecting with the land (If you still have lines showing, hit "k" to kill the polygons). Delete all the points but those that intersect the land

Learned this from an OLD Alan Chan tutorial - there's probably an easier way...but I've been doing this this way for so long it's fast for me now.

Good luck.

badllarma
10-04-2005, 08:27 AM
Thats a really intresting way of doing things I'll give it ago when I get to creating the braken bank and hardwoods in the scene, uniformity not such an issue with pine woodlands in the UK as they are all planted by man and machine in rows.

thanks for the tips though :thumbsup:

nthused
10-04-2005, 08:45 AM
...uniformity not such an issue with pine woodlands in the UK as they are all planted by man and machine in rows...

Well, there's a new one. Didn't know that. Some day I'll get to visit over there. Glad I helped some.