PDA

View Full Version : game engines

skater4lyfe
09-30-2005, 07:11 PM
well i was thinking about getting lightwave 3D. and then someone told me that a would also need a game engine maybe. i was wondering if all i need is the game engine to create a whole entire video game???

Silkrooster
09-30-2005, 08:56 PM
Some game engines do provide a graphics editor of some kind, but they seam to be limited one one way or another. If you are just getting into gaming, try out unreal or quake both games provide an editor so you can play your own worlds. Or atleast I think quake does, been awhile.
Once you get a taste you will soon be craving to build more complex objects. And now enters Lightwave.
Silk

skater4lyfe
09-30-2005, 09:03 PM
so a good game engine and lightwave 8 is all i need to make a video game?

Silkrooster
10-01-2005, 01:32 AM
I can only give you a maybe on that. It depends on the engine. Some include a way to import other companies objects. Some may be proprietary meaning you can only use their objects.
Something else to consider, not all game engines are a like. For awhile it may do everything you want, but as you grow (knowledge wise) you will eventually want to create your own engine. It may not be as complicated as you think either as there are companies that sell code that you can reuse commercially whether it is written in C, VB, or what not.
I guess the best thing to do is take the time and do all the investigative work so you do not get stuck using something that won't do exactly what you want.
There is another section on this forum dedicated to games. I recommend that you post a question there and see if you can get some answers from someone who has created several games.
All the information I have given so far is theory. I would feel better knowing you are getting the best information possible.
Good luck
Silk

skater4lyfe
10-01-2005, 07:48 PM
is the category dedicated to games called "game development"?

Silkrooster
10-01-2005, 11:40 PM
Yep, I see someone already responded.
I wish you luck
Silk