PDA

View Full Version : Demo version?

Riplakish
09-30-2005, 06:31 PM
This is probably best left to Kurtis or Chuck to answer, but I wanted to pull it up from the Xbox360 thread...

Can we give copies of lightwave to interested parties? Without the key, it runs in "Discovery Mode", but the license that ships with it doesn't explicitly say (and what isn't said, usally isn't allowed).

I have a considerable number of people that would like to play with the software, but don't want to drop the $800 until they know they're going to want it. I think it'd be a big boost to market share.

-R

Karmacop
09-30-2005, 09:23 PM
I did this with 7.5 (I think), as you could download the 7.5 update from the web anyway, but now that we need to login to download the 8.5 upgrades I'm not sure if they'd be happy with us handing it out.

Of course I'm sure they'd prefer us to give friends a copy to run in discovery mode than for our friends to download a cracked copy ...

Cman
10-01-2005, 12:39 AM
How many more years must go by before Newtek finally makes a readily available demo version of their product?

Softimage released EVERY version of v5 simultaneously, including a Foundation Demo! I know because I have it!

What on Earth causes Newtek to fail so horribly in this area?
:argue:

spigolo
10-01-2005, 02:30 AM
I have the same problem, I teach at the university of architecture in florence
and i would like to teach lightwave to my students but i can't find a demo version, so i have to use others software, every years i have nearly one hundred students and that would be a good potential numbers of lw users but newtek............

cresshead
10-01-2005, 04:37 AM
i took the decision to distribrute lw 8.0 to my students in class so they could use lightw 8.0 in DE mode from an 'installed folder' from my install at home...came in at just over 100mb so could be moved on a usb key..........from that i've had over 10 students go out and buy lightwave commercial....so it works!.......a couple of other students bought xsi but are struggleing with using it...

newtek have said in past posts that they will ship a lightwave de 8.0 disc out if you contact them...but there's no page on their site saying this...

at their term report they have 'could do better'......... :agree:

lw is very good to learn on...i had three more students start on it this week
in a class...all of them picked it up okay so far.

:lwicon:

-EsHrA-
10-01-2005, 05:14 AM
YEH WE NEED A DEMO TO SHOW OUR FRIENDS NOW !!!!

NT FIX IT !

HOW LONG DOES THIS HAVE TO GO ON ?!!...

mlon

coremi
10-01-2005, 06:00 AM
Chuck said they were working ona new kind of DEMO version just after the release of 8.2, i expecte it at NAB, now we are 6 month later and everything is the same, also there is no more news about Inspire 3D, it could be a good oportunity for many to buy a lite version of Lightwave and later upgrade.

WizCraker
10-01-2005, 10:06 PM
I think one of the biggest mistakes that NewTek has done is make it near impossible for interested customers not able to download a demo version of Lightwave especially in this day of age where you have Alias pumping out Maya PLE on every book they have at the book store plus the free download from their website.

If I was a new user and did not buy into Lightwave 10 years ago I would probably be looking into Maya or XSI [with XSI being the most likely purchase]. The reason would because I just don't see Lightwave really being marketed as much and in the business of Software the buyer always goes for the product that is in the spotlight. Granted XSI is not as heavy in the publics eye but they are getting better and they have made some revoulationary enhancements to their product that I feel would help me more in my work.

I don't have the money in my current state to buy XSI that is probably why I stay with Lightwave. Also I keep thinking that "Maybe the next version will include x feature."

So I agree NewTek needs to get the demo version out on their website and get away from that "you need to call 1-800-TOASTER to get the Discovery Edition."

Riplakish
10-02-2005, 01:01 PM
Personally, I'd be happy with Discovery Edition (no work for anyone to do), and an official statement that we can share with interested parties :)

Cman
10-02-2005, 04:06 PM
Personally, I'd be happy with Discovery Edition (no work for anyone to do), and an official statement that we can share with interested parties :)

Smartly, the software's default is a demo - but Newtek won't provide it to the general public.

The only reason I can imagine is there must be a flaw that allows for easy theft and so they try to cut down on it by not making it freely available.

Riplakish
10-02-2005, 04:21 PM
Smartly, the software's default is a demo - but Newtek won't provide it to the general public.

The only reason I can imagine is there must be a flaw that allows for easy theft and so they try to cut down on it by not making it freely available.

I'm sure a few software patches will bypass the key check. As a number of people noted, once the software is up and running, it won't "stop" if you pull the USB key, which hints that the check is one-time, to boot. The problem becomes recursive - you could add an MD5 or similar check to make sure the binary hasn't been patched, but that could be patched, too. You'd eventually have to do something big-brother, like require a daughter card to do processing, and not have the software function [at all] without it - so much for Discovery mode :sleeping:

Given the sheer number of copies currently out there, I'm not entirely sure limiting access to the media is all that effective, either. The fact that there has been [recent] posts that hint at possibly illegal copies demonstrate media "in the wild".

Again, I think an "Official Answer" to this issue is the best thing to pursue.