PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a good Lightwave book

Smiling Otis
09-30-2005, 12:55 PM
Hello,

I have spent the last few months learning (or trying to learn) Lightwave. I bought a couple of books to help with this process but the book, "Lightwave 3D 8 Revealed", I am currently using, just doesn't seem to be cutting it. There seems to be some missing explanations in the exercises. I am about halfway through it and am feeling like it has been a somewhat waste of time. I did purchase Inside Lightwave 8 by Dan Ablan and was thinking about switching over to it and begin this journey anew. My questions is this a good book to learn the basics or is there another one out there that folks recommend? Any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Looking forward to producing something in 3D this decade.
Russ :help:

Tiger
09-30-2005, 01:22 PM
This one is outstanding:
http://www.3dgarage.com/sig8.html

TheDynamo
09-30-2005, 05:18 PM
I have a duplicate copy of Timothy Albee's Essential Lightwave 8 you can buy off me for about $20 plus s+h. :) It's near new with the CD in a plastic sleeve outside the book. PM me if you're interested.

-Dyn

Celshader
09-30-2005, 06:17 PM
Hello,

I have spent the last few months learning (or trying to learn) Lightwave. I bought a couple of books to help with this process but the book, "Lightwave 3D 8 Revealed", I am currently using, just doesn't seem to be cutting it. There seems to be some missing explanations in the exercises. I am about halfway through it and am feeling like it has been a somewhat waste of time. I did purchase Inside Lightwave 8 by Dan Ablan and was thinking about switching over to it and begin this journey anew. My questions is this a good book to learn the basics or is there another one out there that folks recommend? Any help and/or advice is greatly appreciated.

Disclaimer: I co-authored this book alongside 40 other folks, but it's the best bang for the buck right now:
http://www.wordware.com/tnt/

I wish I had a book like this when I first started using LightWave -- it would've made my life a lot easier. It's not a tutorial book, but it is a good book to consult when working on a project.

---

Also, on the slightest chance that you haven't been here yet:
http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm

A list of free LightWave tutorials on the web.

Surrealist.
09-30-2005, 10:30 PM
I second the recomendation for this book. Jam packed with more information on LW than any book right now for sure.

pauland
10-01-2005, 04:09 AM
Here's my recommendation - though it's not a book: Special Project#1: Super Jet. Lightwave [8.0] training. at www.lostpencil.com

A great little project to give you some confidence with lightwave. Check out the animation. I think it's a bargain at $30.

Paul

JanL
10-01-2005, 07:12 AM
I agree with the 1001 Tips and Tricks recommendations. That book is fabulous.

However, the book that really made me understand Lightwave was Tim Albee's Essential Lightwave 3D. The light dawned after I read that book, and I learned to use a lot of Lightwave's tools that I couldn't use before.

Jan

pauland
10-01-2005, 07:23 AM
There are a lot of great LW books out there and LW video tutorials. I would suggest that getting some books plus at least one video tutorial is the thing to do. Books can be great, but watching someone else use the tools and being able to replicate what they do can be a real inspiration and give confidence.

Paul

andypete
10-01-2005, 10:42 AM
I'd take TheDynamo up on his offer, Albee's books are a great place to start. And buy 1001 Tip and Tricks.

Celshader also contributed to one of my all-time favorite LW books, LightWave Applied, version 6.5 & 7. Don't let it's age scare you, the tutorials entitled Understanding Textures live up to their name. This book really helped me.

BlackOpsBen
10-01-2005, 11:43 AM
The 3D Photorealism Toolkit by Bill Fleming is really good! Not exactly for lightwave specifically but I learned a lot in lightwave from this book!

pauland
10-01-2005, 03:37 PM
A thousand LWers spit on the ground at the mention of that name.. LOL

Smiling Otis
10-04-2005, 10:00 AM
Thank you so much for the helpful information. I will purchase a few other books and try out some video tutes as well.

Hopefully I will be on my 3D journey soon.

Thanks again!
Russ

Nigel Baker
10-04-2005, 10:51 AM
Hi there,

I suppose I am like most people, I have bought every book I could ever find and am always still looking out for more. If I can learn one good point form every book, well then it is worth it.

The best book I have ever gotten is the "1001 Tips & Tricks" by Wordware
It is the best book if you already have a certain knowledge of LW and will out live all the other books you have put together. It is something you can always go back to.

Hope this helps

wilgory
10-04-2005, 12:13 PM
Nigel knows what he is talking about. I was going to recommend the same book it is a great book that covers so many different angels of LW that it is essential. Another excellent selection is The Lightwave 8 Lighting book is a great reference for Lightwave Lightinga and the theories and techniques behind lighting in general.
Have fun

Greg
http://vbulletin.newtek.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=304451#
Beerchug

Hi there,
The best book I have ever gotten is the "1001 Tips & Tricks" by Wordware
It is the best book if you already have a certain knowledge of LW and will out live all the other books you have put together. It is something you can always go back to.

Hope this helps

SplineGod
10-06-2005, 12:44 AM
I was also a contributor to the 1001 tips and tricks book. Its one of the few that I do use from time to time. I would also recommend the other wordware books. Instead of putting a little info into little sections in one book they have lots of books that cover important topics in detail like lighting.
Im also a big believer in learning from video. Ive created well over 200 hrs of training material on video and growing. Ive got several hours of free material on my site thats also mirrored on the KURV site. :)

andypete
10-06-2005, 02:09 PM
And what effective videos they are! Incredibly useful.
Thanks Larry.

SplineGod
10-06-2005, 02:41 PM
Thanks Andy!
BTW I have a new one up there showing a quick way to make hair guides. Ive had that one for a long time. I forgot I had it and figured it would be a good one to upload. I used to use this method way back in the LW5 days when there were no hair plugins but works well for creating hair guides at the same time. :)

dablan
10-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Hello,

There's a lot of great material out there. Some people do well with books, others with video. For this reason, I've included 5 additional hours of training videos on the DVD-ROM that comes with the Inside LightWave [8] book. So for little money, you have the best of both worlds.

And also, there's a ton of free stuff on the internet that is up to date and current. If you're learning LightWave 8, learn from LightWave 8 tutorials, not 7.5 tutorials. Scott Cameron's got some great links http://members.shaw.ca/lightwavetutorials/Main_Menu.htm
And of course, the free tutorials from NewTek's site are probably the best to get you going.

andypete
10-07-2005, 12:44 PM
You're welcome Larry.
I remember watching your serpent demo at Siggraph a few years ago, I instantly understood the power of splines. We're designers who don't work exclusively in 3D (Aerospace and Defense stuff). So some shapes can really be a challenge to us . Last week it was these control surfaces on a missile. All the way through there was this familiar voice in my head saying things like: " control-P to make a spline, control-S to smooth..."

Hey Dan,
My coworker is in the middle of your Signature 8 course. She just finished her first model for a printed piece. It goes to press next week. Way to go!

So Smiling Otis, listen to SplineGod and Dan Ablan. Through their instruction you'll develop good habits and sound processes, the very things that help me meet deadlines.

Andy

Rabbitroo
10-07-2005, 12:51 PM
When you start doing heads/faces I like Jason Osipa's "Stop Staring".

-K

SplineGod
10-07-2005, 01:24 PM
You're welcome Larry.
I remember watching your serpent demo at Siggraph a few years ago, I instantly understood the power of splines. We're designers who don't work exclusively in 3D (Aerospace and Defense stuff). So some shapes can really be a challenge to us . Last week it was these control surfaces on a missile. All the way through there was this familiar voice in my head saying things like: " control-P to make a spline, control-S to smooth..."
Andy

Thanks! I remember that one. Keep it simple! Splines are a great layout tool for polys. Everything in LW is designed to create polys. Splines IMO are best used for laying out the general form and details. Its also important to know when to best use them. Ive seem some major screw ups on models from not following those simple rules. :)

CB_3D
10-07-2005, 07:00 PM
Dan Ablanīs books are very good. Youīll always run into detailed explanations on how to do something, in every book. But digging for Yourself through a programīs interface to find a function or toggle is part of the learning process, in every program. Embrace this process and donīt search too much for knowledge outside of that.

dablan
10-09-2005, 04:35 PM
Thanks AP -
we've had great success and repsonse to the courseware. More is coming. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

DragonFist
10-10-2005, 12:25 AM
I have to put my plug in for Tim Albee's Lightwave Essentials.

I had lightwave 3.5-40 on my Amiga 2000. I got 4.0 thru 5.6 for the PC (grudgingly I might add, I loved my Amiga).

And I recently got 8.0 after a long time of just playing with the program from time to time.

And yet, I can say now, I never really knew what I was doing! Tim's book has truly changed that and while I wouldn't say I have achieved the status or Jedi Master or anything like that, I find that I can easily work within the program now. I have been working with LW3D 8 Texturing and have the Lighting one from Wordware though I have started on that one yet but I am finding my abilities to improve as I go.

I really liked Tim's book, not just because of the useful information but also the attitude from which he goes at it. You really get a sense of the fact that he WANTS you to get as good as you can get and his writing encourages you to go on. That makes a difference to me at least. I have heard tell that Dan Ablan's books are excellent. I just haven't tried them yet so can't really comment. I plan to try them out though. SplineGod's many tutorials available for free are quite good too. I haven't done any of the paid course but assume that the quality is at least as good, if not better.

But if I haven't made it very, very clear; I believe that Tim's LW Essentials is the way to go for the first book. He really gives you your hat to start with.