PDA

View Full Version : naming skelegons

mythek1
09-30-2005, 12:35 PM
I'm a traditional 3d illustrator venturing into digital territory so I apologise in advance if this has an obvious answer.

I have been setting up skelegons in modeller using the numeric panel to assign names and weight maps to them. The trouble is that in the skelegon tree the names I assign don't register, just the default: bone, bone 01, etc.

The names register in the tree only when I re-name the bones. And this only works if I hit 'enter' to close the panel and not if I click the 'ok' button.

In Layout the weight map names don't show up in the bone's property panel, just the default bone names.

Any ideas? I suppose I could just assign individual weight maps to each bone, but that's so much more long winded, and I would still have to rename the skelegon's.

Thanks in advance to anyone who is willing to reply to this pretty tedious question.

Chris

Surrealist.
09-30-2005, 10:57 PM
I use the rename skellegon tool after I create the bones I need or as I go along. I don't try to name them in the numeric panel. The tool Bone Wieghts will create a map for every bone by it's name automatically. Just enter a threshold value of 0 and choose clip. This creates maps with a value of 0. I assume you plan to then edit weightmaps. With them all at a value of 0 they will stay until you assign new values. Otherwise uless you assign a value of some sort the map will dissapear.

Using the rename tool for each bone as you go should work. Make sure and save the object with these changes before you go to Layout and also try synconize Layout. Once in Layout the nice thing about this technique is with the bone and map names the same they will automatically be assigned in the bone properties panel.

If this does not work give a hollar.

mythek1
10-01-2005, 02:25 PM
Thanks for your reply Surrealist. I took your advice and it worked fine. I still have an issue with the dialogue boxes, having to type enter instead of clicking 'ok.' I'll just have to live with this quirk. http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/icon_shrug.gif

Thanks again
Chris

Surrealist.
10-02-2005, 11:13 PM
OK cool. I seem to remember something in the Lw8.3 docs that said something about now having to hit enter on dialogue boxes. Not sure if this is relevant or not but glad you got going anyway.