PDA

View Full Version : “Photo Mosaic Super Zoom” effect

KenBennett
09-30-2005, 07:20 AM
Photo Montage Question: What’s the best “tool” (Lightwave, Aura, TED, etc.) and best technique to create a “Photo Mosaic Super Zoom” effect? This is where you have a photo image, full-screen and zooming in to reveal the larger image is really created from hundreds of smaller photos. You se this in print ads and posters quite often, … and in video.

I don’t want to re-invent the wheel if someone else has already created a technique to accomplish this cool effect.

I know you can do it with After Effects, but I don’t want to buy nor learn AF when I have tools like Lighwave, Aura, Mirage and VT3 right in front of me.

So, chime in with you thought, tips, techniques.

Ken

Jim_C
09-30-2005, 07:53 AM
If you know Lightwave, that will give you the best quality and most control over variables. But highest learning curve.

I have used TEd pretty successfully for this effect. You have to be careful with image sizes tho. Only use the huge file for the initail shot and zoom in, when you get in tight, transition to a smaller file for the tight shot.
Stick with PNG and only make them as big as needed for that shot. If you are in tight and 98% of the file is off screen, use a small file.

Turn layer settings to low for working, high to play, and hit ISS if you have 4.0.

Don Ballance
09-30-2005, 09:03 AM
I'm thinking if you had a hi-res version of the montage.
If you can scan it at 300 dpi or higher , if needed.
Use the positioner to do the zoom move.
Use High Quality and Image Super Sample.
This is VT 4 or higher.

Could also take that scan into Aura/Mirage and keyframe the zoom using the keyframer.

This is unless you are actually trying to create the montage. For that I am not sure.

Ivan
09-30-2005, 09:26 AM
not sure if this works for you and you may need to do some extra work with it but this program will create the montage. It is a hi res version for print so you may need to cut it up to make it work in VT or reduce the size but it's quick and easy.

http://www.arcsoft.com/products/photomontage/

Ivan

KenBennett
09-30-2005, 11:16 AM
Is this effect nothing more than a combination of "zooming in" and disolving the larger image as you zoom in to one of the smaller images?

But where do I lay out all the photos? Lighwave or Aura or Mirage?

Ken

Jim_C
09-30-2005, 11:21 AM
I would use Mirage to create the montage.
Put all the pieces together.

Ivan's program looks like it might do that for you>

KenBennett
09-30-2005, 11:48 AM
Ivan- does that Acrsoft software really work? Do I take that final image and import that to VT and just zoom in? How's the quality?

Thanks,

Ken

KenBennett
09-30-2005, 11:51 AM
Jim- I've always used VT's TED to create my photo montages because it's quick. Is doing the same in Mirage quicker, easier and or better? Time, control and quality all being issues here.

Thanks,

Ken

Ivan
09-30-2005, 12:01 PM
Actually I think if you used the Arcsoft program you could load the resulting image in Aura or Mirage as a brush and zoom in to the individual images. I think they would be high enough resolution to work for video. You would want to keep an eye on the aspect ratio so you don't get undesirable results.

Ivan

Jim_C
09-30-2005, 12:04 PM
I would still do all your moves/zooms in Ted. But I would use Mirage to create the huge mosaic of all the little pics together.
That sounds time consuming and is where a program (Arcsoft?) or a script or such would really help.

Ivan
09-30-2005, 12:25 PM
The Arcsoft program does a nice job and there is a company using it to make posters. Just point it to the folder with the images you want to use, select an image you want the montage to look like and it does the rest. There aren't a lot of options, it does only this one thing but it does it well and quickly. For $40 how much time do you really want to spend in Mirage to do this? If you use it once you've already saved over a days worth of work.

Ivan

Jim_C
09-30-2005, 12:34 PM
:agree:

Best Buy has it for 30 bucks. Now your time is really cheap. :D

Ivan
09-30-2005, 01:03 PM
We've already spent more than $30 in time jst talking about it, let's go here! :D

Ivan

KenBennett
09-30-2005, 02:22 PM
What files does Acrsofts PM program out put?

:) And to think Best Buy as having a tool that cool. Now we've got some competition with Uncle Harry.

I guess for $30 I'll take a little trip to BB. If the quality really holds up, could be besy buy of the year.

BTW, I wonder how long it would take to do the same thing in Mirage?

I'll report back after the final project is completed.

Thanks again.

Ken

Ivan
09-30-2005, 02:50 PM
The Arcsoft program puts out either jpegs or tiffs or both, I don't remember. To do the same thing in Mirage may take a while. Imagine taking 400 pictures, placing them and tinting them in such a way that they look like an image when you zoom out. Just loading the images in Mirage would be dead slow compared to this program.

As for Uncle Harry, I wouldn't be to concerned. He may be able to create a poster with this but chances are he does not understand what it would take to do what you are attempting.

I hope this works as well as I think it will. If it does I may have to use it on some projects.

Ivan