PDA

View Full Version : Computer On or Off???

groove660
09-29-2005, 08:12 PM
Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on leaving your computer tunred on for long periods when its not being used. I remember that years ago people said its better for your PC to stay on all day instead of turning it on and off a few times a day. Reason being was that it prolonged the life of your computers hard drives. Now i dunno if that was true or what but basically should i turn my PC off if im not going to use it for a few hours or so. Im not concerned with electricity costs (or the enviroment for that fact!!) im merely interested in looking after my PC.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Cheers

Silkrooster
09-29-2005, 09:55 PM
With sleep mode and hybernation modes it is not much of a concern either way. However it is still good to shut down the pc once in awhile to allow the memory to be flushed. Some programs still are not good at totally removing them selves, this is one of the reasons for computers to lock up.
Anyways on my system I still shut down each night but durning the day it will run continious. With the exception of scanning viruses and defraging, then it will run through the night. Luckily I have not had to render through the night, yet.
Silk

JML
09-30-2005, 06:22 AM
from what I heard, the main reason why you can keep it on, is because if
you turn your computer on/off a lot everyday, it stresses the components more.

the worst for electric components are when it gets cold to hot then hot to cold,etc.. if you leave it on, the temperature for your cpu (and other parts)stay warm or hot so there is less stress..

it's what I heard before, I think it doesn't matter that much really, you should do what you prefer..

lardbros
09-30-2005, 06:51 AM
I'd have thought the same as JML... the only time lightbulbs generally go pop is when you turn them on. This is because it's a sudden surge of electricity to a cool filament which is then suddenly burning white hot. Obviously computers don't get quite so hot, if they did, we wouldn't need lightbulbs, just hang a PC from the ceiling. :D

I have all my PC problems after turning it off after a long period of time of it being on. The next time i use it, it used to either hang, or reset... depending on how much dust was trapped in the CPU fan.

silverlw
09-30-2005, 07:05 AM
This is my machine running like this for the last 3 years. I never turn it off. ive had to exchange powersupply in it once.

lots
09-30-2005, 07:07 AM
Turning a computer on and off alot creates the same kind of wear a car would get by being turned on and off alot. The most damage to the parts is done during start up.

I leave my systems up all the time. Some even have uptimes that are as long as 6 months or more. They dont really run into many problems either.

Though, it is a good idea to flush the memory every now and then.

Signal to Noise
09-30-2005, 11:58 AM
Because of [email protected] I leave my pooter on 24/7. Because you never know when an alien will decide to make contact. :)

It only gets shut down for installs that require it or when I decide to format my hard drive for maintenance.

Jim_C
09-30-2005, 12:07 PM
Starting your computer is the worst thing you can do to it. Especially with multi drive systems (and if they don't start staggered..Ouch!)

Off course it can't burst into flames and burn your house down in the middle of the night if it's off.

:stumped:

mattclary
09-30-2005, 02:15 PM
If you DO leave it on all the time, make sure you have a good quality UPS, preferably with the ability to turn your computer off in event of power failure.

I don't think it's preferable to leave it on ALL the time, just don't turn it off and on in a short period of time. If I turn mine on during the day, I usually turn it off when I go to bed, or on the weekends, I just leave it on all weekend.

Fizzer
09-30-2005, 04:19 PM
I first switched on my current main PC on the 25th May, 2001, and have not turned it off since. Just the occasional restart after a software upgrade or two. The thing has been remarkably stable and solid. Maybe I am just Lucky.

Bytehawk
09-30-2005, 06:27 PM
mine are too noisy to keep them on at night (especially the dual xeon)
i always switch off pc's at the end of the day.

groove660
09-30-2005, 06:29 PM
Thanks guys, i currentley turn my computer on in the morning and off at night, so there are times were it is just sitting there doing nothing so i just wanted to check if this is the best way to run things.

Cheers

Fizzer
10-01-2005, 08:53 AM
Very rarely does my PC sit doing nothing. During the day I Lightwave, Video edit, Photoshop etc. During the hours of darkness the machine earns its keep by rendering out frames.

JML
10-01-2005, 09:25 AM
we are mainly talking about desktop but servers too which are the same thing but smaller, we have now 10 renderboxx at work, and the 5 of them we first got has not been turned off or reset since 6 months or more.
(if you go to the task manager you can see how many hours the system was on)
same thing with my workstation at work, it stays on all the time..

but at home, I usually turn it off at the end of the day if i'm not rendering.
like Bytehawk , I have a dual xeon and mine is noisy too.. (I should have got another heatsink/fan combo..)
another reason, is that the dual xeon make a lot of heat, and during the summer my room gets really hot.. sometimes I have to put the AC because of that 8~
(each processor gets around 60 degree celcius when rendering..)

newsvixen8
10-03-2005, 05:56 AM
My dual xeons are dead quiet when I put that workstation to sleep, which I do every night he's not rendering.

ravantra
10-03-2005, 08:48 AM
Biggest fear I have is If you turn it off it may never turn on again.
My computers are never turned off....they have been running for years. My only concern is how much electricity is wasted? Currently with monitor on I am burning 210 watts and with the monitor off 170 watts ..... a pair of light bulbs in terms of power....

MiniFireDragon
10-03-2005, 01:41 PM
There is no win win situation when it comes to turnong off and on a PC. Like they have stated in the thread, the worst time for your PC is turning it on and getting the current shock to the system. I believe the last numbers I saw were 100 times the normal amount of electricty is used when u pushed the power button. Don't quote me on 100times, but it is alot of power that the system draws when it is fired up before stablizing. Which, if not really good for the components in the system.

But then you are left with leaving it on 24-7. The problem you have is dirty power. That is as much as an enemy to a PC as switching it off and on. What do I mean by dirty power? Well, you ever sitting in your home and your lights flicker? That is dirt power. There is a solution to that problem, and that is to use a power filtration/cleaning device (APC puts them out). And batter backup is recommended since sudden power loss can crash a hard drive or cause you to run extensive repair utilities. I had a PC I worked on where the power was lost during a Defrag. Took out a good chunk of the FAT table which couldn't be brought back. Once you lose that, data recovery is the only way you are doing to get information back from the drive.

After you get around the dirty power you are still stuck with wear and tear. The dust crowding the ball bearing of your power supply fan and processor fans. The hard drive motor spinning away to it's death (well, you do have hibernation mode, but even that doesn't always work well).

In the long run, I've built machines that have ran non stop for 4 years and lasted longer then a PC being turned off and on every day or so. There is also the PC's that have run for ever, are turned off never to breath again.

In the end, you really don't win.

ravantra
10-03-2005, 01:53 PM
I want a computer that once you click on the power button turns on in like 3 seconds and is ready for work. Right now it takes approx 90 seconds to turn on my computer......tooooo long. With the demise of harddrives in the not so distant future i hope this may happen soon. Look at a palm or even an ipod, they have OS's and start up in seconds ...... I know these are simpler systems but I don't care, I want instant on systems, like my TV, radio, calculator, car, etc.... That is why I never turn off my computer.

Randall Chesbro
10-03-2005, 02:32 PM
wheres the Amiga When you need it. that would boot faster than anything.

groove660
10-03-2005, 05:56 PM
I want a computer that once you click on the power button turns on in like 3 seconds and is ready for work. Right now it takes approx 90 seconds to turn on my computer......tooooo long. With the demise of harddrives in the not so distant future i hope this may happen soon. Look at a palm or even an ipod, they have OS's and start up in seconds ...... I know these are simpler systems but I don't care, I want instant on systems, like my TV, radio, calculator, car, etc.... That is why I never turn off my computer.

Sounds like you need one of those new flash memory based OS storing thingies. Wondering what im talking about???? well a few months back i read this article about theses new new flash memory things you connect to your PC via a PCI slot. It has enough high speed memory to store your OS on. So come time to boot up, your OS is alreay loaded in fast flash memory and therefore it does not have to load up. The creators of this device stated it cuts startup time down to a few seconds!!! Only problem, seems that if the device is disconnected from power for over 12hours it clears itself :thumbsdow but im sure they will add sum battery or perhaps solar panels to it at some point!!!!

kurv
10-04-2005, 08:43 AM
Just wondering what everyones thoughts are on leaving your computer tunred on for long periods when its not being used. I remember that years ago people said its better for your PC to stay on all day instead of turning it on and off a few times a day. Reason being was that it prolonged the life of your computers hard drives. Now i dunno if that was true or what but basically should i turn my PC off if im not going to use it for a few hours or so. Im not concerned with electricity costs (or the enviroment for that fact!!) im merely interested in looking after my PC.

Any ideas/thoughts?

Cheers

I have a degree in electronics engineering and I have worked three years at TI and have worked on a few government contracts that allowed me to work with high level engineers.

Any equipment that uses IC’s the worst thing for it is surges… even with all the protection these days on the power supply… I leave my stuff on as much as I can.

Now having said that.. all these places usually added a few extra fans, even to their TV’s to help them cool. The MOST important thing is that any equipment with IC’s also stay cool…

Hope this helps.

ravantra
10-04-2005, 12:08 PM
Sounds like you need one of those new flash memory based OS storing thingies. Wondering what im talking about???? well a few months back i read this article about theses new new flash memory things you connect to your PC via a PCI slot. It has enough high speed memory to store your OS on. So come time to boot up, your OS is alreay loaded in fast flash memory and therefore it does not have to load up. The creators of this device stated it cuts startup time down to a few seconds!!! Only problem, seems that if the device is disconnected from power for over 12hours it clears itself :thumbsdow but im sure they will add sum battery or perhaps solar panels to it at some point!!!!

Yeah a few years ago I had a client who wanted a solid state harddrive....it's a hard drive made from RAM chips.....super fast BUT......needed constant power and or at shut down needed to write contents to media....so what's the point, right? Also after pricing the whole thing out it came to a grand total of $63,000........This was 4 years ago and prices have come down....It was a neat exercise and no sale was made. Samsung claims it will have a 32 GB memory chip by next year and eventually hard drives will be replaced by solid state memory.

MiniFireDragon
10-04-2005, 12:35 PM
Hard drives replaced by solid state memory eh??

You should look into the holographic hard drive. For those out there that ask what are the benefits of a hologrpahic hard drive? Well, in theory, a point on a hologram can hold an inifinite amount of data. BUT because of current technology the film can only hold about 10 points of data (as of 2 years ago). The principle of a holographic hard drive is to have a cube of this "film" and 2 lasers. One the data beam, the other is the reference beam. The data beam converges with the reference beam and records the point of data in the film. To retreive the data, all one needs to do is put the laser into the same spot/angle it was at when recorded and a sensor on the other side picks up the data. Changing the angle of the light beam produces a diffent point of data at the same spot a previous one was recorded. In theory you could hold an infinite amount of data on one cube, but like I said before, the medium can only handle so much before cross bleeding occurs. Not to mention this would be extremly fast as there would be few moving parts, just the mirrors. No spinning platters for the heads to crash into.

MiniFireDragon
10-04-2005, 12:39 PM
Found a Link to Hologrpahic Storage:

http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20050104_142527.html

lardbros
10-04-2005, 01:24 PM
Are you guys trying to make my brain implode? You're doing a great job if you are! 8~

stevecullum
10-05-2005, 03:08 PM
Holographic storage, infinite capacity...

I read recently about some guys in Australia that were able to transport matter. Ok the test was on a single atom, but they went on to say that in order to transport anything of a descent size, like human, they would need the storage capacity of like 1000,000,000,000,000,000,000,0000,000,000 TB or more!

But with all this new nano tech and holographic hard drives, maybe we will have some kind of Kirkmobil in the future!

A perfect way to clean up the environment too - London to L.A at the flick of a switch :D

ted
10-05-2005, 03:47 PM
Ahhhhhh, the age old question....On or Off?
As found here, there are very strong opinions to both.
The computer "experts" I've talked to are about evenly split.

Personally, I figure a drive will only have so many spins as well as bearings etc.
Mine are on all day, but shut down at night. Saves power, and I've had people claim to have had fires due to leaving their computers on. That's the last thing I want when I leave my Studio.

Most importantly, keep the computer cool, (our units are in their own AC cooled room), keep the environment CLEAN, and use a decent UPS system for clean power.

Other then that, I don't think there is a RIGHT answer.
Hey, Ford or Chevy, PC or MAC, Twins or Mom & Daughter??? :beerchug:

Jim_C
10-05-2005, 03:58 PM
Chevy, PC and Twins!!

:beerchug:

holeycow
10-06-2005, 05:21 AM
I have 4 computers in my network including a dual xeon, and I run them 24/7. I've always found that it's after they've all been off that I encounter network problems and other nasty gremlins. 90% of the time I have at least the dual xeon rendering through the night and it's not unusual to have three of them rendering non-stop for weeks on end with one left free for doing other work. I love the environment, but leaving my computers on all day causing less harm than the paper I ysed to go through doing traditional hand drawn animation. Long live the electric office!

Elemental233
10-06-2005, 07:28 AM
This is my machine running like this for the last 3 years. I never turn it off. ive had to exchange powersupply in it once.

LOL.. i think keeping your case like that does more damage then turning it off.. :thumbsup:

lardbros
10-06-2005, 08:39 AM
Twins or Mom & Daughter??? :beerchug:

Funny, some women feel the same way about bloke twins too. Me and my bro have been propositioned a couple of times. Shame we both had girls at the time

CB_3D
10-07-2005, 07:03 PM
Leaving a system running constantly is actually healtier for Your computer than switchitching it on and off. Less thermodynamic stress.