PDA

View Full Version : Multi-pass render to layered PSD file? Anyone else need this?

Intuition
09-29-2005, 12:58 PM
I was pondering the multipass compositing side of 3d effects and began to wonder if it is possible to have Lightwave output a PSD sequence that contains all the different passes as layers.

This way you could import the PSD file into After effects, digital fusion, etc, as a sequence and have the layers already set up.

This would save alot of time in the workflow pipeline.

Often I am rendering different diffuse, reflect, spec, etc passes as well as occlusion and then importing the different sequences into a compositor for the "fine tuning, massaging".

What would be great is if the multi pass output could be set to render all of these different layers seperated into a PSD file sequence. Even better would be to have their respective blending modes prepared in thsi way as well.

That way I could import the PSD file into after effects as a comp and the individual passes would be sitting in there properly layered and blended.

The PSD files would be huge but you would have all of your elements contained together. This would save alot of composition setup time as well as file organization.

Opinions?

walfridson
09-29-2005, 01:27 PM
image filter -> PSD exporter? :thumbsup:

Intuition
09-29-2005, 01:31 PM
Does this render out the different passes as layers?

Like this?

1.Spec
2.Diffuse
3.RGB

Each channel being its own separate layer?

If so I guess I'm just behind the times.

walfridson
09-29-2005, 01:34 PM
Yea it does

Not shure if AE can handle sequence of PSD good - sorting the layers?

Intuition
09-29-2005, 01:36 PM
YEs, thats my issue, I've done a single PSD file as a sequence but haven't seen a PSD sequence used. Testing to commence momentarily.

WizCraker
09-29-2005, 07:26 PM
Adobe says that it has been able to do PSD sequence since after version 3.x

walfridson
09-30-2005, 05:42 AM
Yes, but the concern was the layers. How well are they imported into AE...
I checked, just asks merge or which layer.

hunter
09-30-2005, 11:07 AM
As far as I know thevery latest AE can do it. Heck I use this in DFX+ all the time. Spec, reflection, diffuse, trans,and color passes were all rendered to one psd sequence for this:
http://www.lwg3d.com/upload/wip/2004/07/20-357623.mov
and there used to be some tuts on it in newteks video tutorials but I can't seem to find them now. :thumbsdow

Intuition
09-30-2005, 12:31 PM
Thats what I am going for Hunter.

A PSD sequence with all layers contained. This would save a bunch of time. Guess I'll check DFX+

hunter
09-30-2005, 01:35 PM
AHA!

http://www.newtek.com/eyeon/dfx-fusion.html

Exception
09-30-2005, 02:43 PM
And we don't want you to complain about service from Newtek ever again! you ask for a plugin, and you have it on your computer before you even blinked your eyes!
that must be worth some applause. :thumbsup:

Intuition
09-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Well, I'm a Newtek Gusher, I swear my devotion to them even when releases are late. :D

Bluesilver
06-19-2006, 06:14 PM
AHA!

This link doesn't work. :thumbsdow
Do you know any mirror for these tutorials

zapper1998
06-20-2006, 05:01 AM
workes here

AHA!

Bog
06-20-2006, 05:07 AM
Hmm. I'm trying to remember if Buffer Saver (http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/) will save out as layered PSDs rather than a slew of seperate files... I'd check, but I have to run...

hunter
06-20-2006, 08:31 AM
workes here

AHA!

Try to download one of the movies. They've been removed. :foreheads

Maybe NT could re-link them? Who should we contact?

toby
06-20-2006, 03:41 PM
I'm pretty sure I still have that one at home, I'll try to upload it when I get off work. If I can't then I'll just explain it with some screengrabs

Graham Nichols
08-26-2006, 11:56 AM
*bump*

Did this video ever turn up anywhere? I could REALLY do with viewing this please?

Currently I'm struggling with the layers exported from PSD EXport Filter. I want to be able to adjust shadows and reflections independently and add gaussian blur where/when required. Just can't get the layer order / type right to match the original F9 render from LW.

ANY help much appreciated.

hunter
08-26-2006, 01:44 PM
AHA again!

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/eyeon

Graham Nichols
08-26-2006, 02:33 PM
AHA again!

ftp://ftp.newtek.com/multimedia/eyeon

MANY thanks Hunter for your help.

I watched this movie and it appears to be Lee Stranahan (sp?) demonstrating the techniques he previously filmed for the Class on Demand video series, which I already have.

The problem I'm having right now is getting the shadows layer to behave properly. I'll do some more experimentation here and then post some screen shots to explain my issues if I can't figure it out.

Once again, many thanks for the new link.

bagou01
11-29-2007, 08:33 AM
trying to export as PSD but photoshop (both CS2 and CS3 ) won't open the rendered file.
i have a psd of 50 megs,and photoshop tells me it can't read layers...

mav3rick
11-29-2007, 10:47 AM
aha on AFTER EFFECTS

i am using afx 7 and standard pds export that comes with lw works fine with afx and afx load it as sequence....

Surrealist.
11-29-2007, 07:36 PM
Anyone care to try this in CS3? It works for me in an earlier version.

archijam
11-30-2007, 01:44 AM
Post a file? I could give it a go (pm for email).

j.

bagou01
11-30-2007, 01:48 AM
can't, my boss doesn't want me to get anything out of the room as we work on movies and had to sign something to keep it "secret". i know,it's lame.
by the way,it's very kind of you to propose that :)

archijam
11-30-2007, 02:00 AM
See your other thread - I posted a test.

j.

edit: perhaps you could to an extreme, limited region version of a vague area of the render that is not regonisable, but has what you are looking for (eg. reflection, spec, colour etc)

mav3rick
11-30-2007, 02:03 AM
Anyone care to try this in CS3? It works for me in an earlier version.

i tryed psd export from lw and works in cs3. but downside is it is awfully slow in afx but that is not lw problem it is slow global light inside afx

Surrealist.
11-30-2007, 02:48 AM
Interesting. Thanks for testing. Good to know.

gerardstrada
12-02-2007, 03:13 PM
trying to export as PSD but photoshop (both CS2 and CS3 ) won't open the rendered file.
i have a psd of 50 megs,and photoshop tells me it can't read layers...

Give it a try to ProEXR (http://www.fnordware.com/ProEXR/) (mostly if you are working in a film production)

Gerardo

inakito
01-31-2008, 04:37 AM
If u load a psd( sequence) on after effects from psd exporter it will ask you for the layer you would like to load( diffuse, reflection, etc). You just need to select which one and it will load the sequence layer on your timeline. You need to do that layer by layer so if u have 5 diff passes you will need to do this 5 times, and this is a bit of a hastle.

Im just missing that psd exporter doesnt export an Ambient Oclussion pass...

Thanks!

gerardstrada
01-31-2008, 11:50 AM
AE can even load a composition. Situation with PSD files is they are huge in size which is not suitable for film work ot TV shows. EXR files are the way to go in those cases. Btw, we can export an AO pass in any format, in a single render and with all other passes.

Gerardo

Stooch
01-31-2008, 12:14 PM
What i would like is not just passes but layer control. ie i might want a background plate layer with all passes, diffuse, color, reflection, spec etc.

and a foreground plate with all passes, comped together in a psd but on separate layer groups. without having to make 2 separate .lws scenes. this for me is whats sorely missing from LW after using the render layers in maya.

does dfx work like this or am i still stuck with making a .lws for every layer?

gerardstrada
02-01-2008, 03:53 AM
Have just noticed we refer to passes as layers and layers as passes... but anyway. You may want to consider Passport (from Jezza), it's a great solution if you don't want to save independent scenes for your foreground and background layers. I remember other way through sliders, though for the case you mention, render separate scenes is commonly easier than the sliders setup.

I 'd like also a built-in system in which we can mix both, multipass and multilayering rendering. An intermediate solution for several cases would be that LW buffers can access to hidden geometry (ID objects or ID materials), not only for semitransparent surfaces like PSD Export does with refraction buffer, but for any type of item, and exportable to any image format. That, mixed with a built-in solution like DP's Pixel/Image Filter Node Editors would be very useful, I think.

Gerardo

Lightwolf
02-01-2008, 04:26 AM
Have just noticed we refer to passes as layers and layers as passes...
Oh my, and I like to refer to buffers as well ;)

Cheers,
Mike

inakito
02-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Just a quickie...
If I am not wrong, you work in Cafe fx... would u mind to tell how does Lightwave or Modo fits on ur pipeline?

Thanks!