PDA

View Full Version : 7.5 updates wont install

Nemesys
09-29-2005, 12:26 PM
I sure that you heard this question many times. Iam new to Lightwave and my 7.5 updates just wont install without the dongle. What exactly is a dongle? Appearently it plug into the USB. Is a dongle anything like a 128meg pen drive? I bet they have them on ebay.

marble_sheep
09-29-2005, 12:44 PM
Well, let me put it this way: if you actually bought the software, the dongle is the little purple-colored usb thingie that came in the box. You can't miss it. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt... maybe it fell out when you opened the box in a rush of excitement??

But something tells me you don't have a legit copy.... :deal:

connerh
09-29-2005, 12:55 PM
Give a little more benefit to him, maybe he's just trying to install the 7.5 update to run it in Discovery mode. I haven't heard anyone else complaining about problems getting it to install, and I've installed 8.0 without a dongle before... LW should just jump into Discovery mode.

Nemesys: a dongle is a usb device that contains license information that tells LW that you have a legit copy and to allow full functionality.

marble_sheep
09-29-2005, 01:02 PM
Give a little more benefit to him

Innocent until proven guilty is lame. Angry mobs are the way to go.

j/k

Nemesys
09-30-2005, 12:06 PM
I bought the LW7 cd a while back from a friend. Unfortunately he must have lost the dongle cos it wasn't in the box. Later, I downloaded the 7.5 updates and I didn't know that it required the dongle. Hummmm....Where can I get one???

connerh
09-30-2005, 12:22 PM
If your friend properly transferred the liscense over to you, then you should be able to get your LW S/N which should be on the LW box. Using mine as a reference... it'll be pretty hard to miss... I mean... the S/N is everywhere on it. You should be able to e-mail newtek with your name and S/N and afaik, they'll send you a replacement dongle. I'm not certain if that's all it takes or not as I've never had to do that. In all actuallity... I pulled this entire post out of my *** and can only hope that it's somewhat accurate.

fyrissian
09-30-2005, 12:36 PM
I suggest that you ask your friend to prepare a letter to NewTek, stating something like:

I, Rodney James Rodney III, of (address), hereby transfer my license for Lightwave 7.5, (serial number 99999999999) along with all relevant media, documention, and support and upgrade rights, to Nemesys J. Lastname of (address).

I affirm that I have removed all copies of the software from my own systems, and retain no copies in the form of backups or duplicate media.

<signed Rodney James Rodney III>
<date>

That should help satisfy them that you are now the legitimate licensee.

lardbros
09-30-2005, 01:27 PM
hmmmmmm :tsktsk:

Karmacop
09-30-2005, 09:17 PM
If Lightwave 7 has been running without a dongle and only now does 7.5 ask for a dongle then you are using an illegal copy.

lardbros
10-01-2005, 02:27 AM
If Lightwave 7 has been running without a dongle and only now does 7.5 ask for a dongle then you are using an illegal copy.

Yep... I'll say it again... hmmmmmm :tsktsk:

Fizzer
10-01-2005, 09:02 AM
And the next question is..................How do I make a box? Hmmmmmmm!!!

Nemesys
10-03-2005, 11:57 AM
What makes you think I have an illegal copy? I just dont have the dongle which was in the box when my friend bought it but he must have lost it since then. That is probally why I got it at such a discount ($40). I really can't complain cause LW7 is likely the best 3d software on the market. I was just lucky to get it at that price.

On the other hand, i'm sure you didn't pay $800 for lightwave. Don't get me wrong. I think lightwave is an awesome product but lets face it, no software is worth that kind of money. You shouldn't have to apply for a loan just to buy software. I say the price should be roughly the same as games or movies. Under $70 is a good start. That way Newtek would sell far more copies and that alone would make up for the difference in price. Think of the advantages it would have. Charge less to sell more. Now there is a concept that works.

...and that concludes the lessons for today!!!!

Rabbitroo
10-03-2005, 12:05 PM
Too bad you can't see spit-takes on the web. I should really learn to not drink my morning coffee while reading this thread!

:lol:

-K

connerh
10-03-2005, 12:11 PM
If Lightwave EVER ran as a fully functional version without the dongle, then it's a cracked copy of Lightwave. And most people here did spend $800 on Lightwave, but you're right, I'm sure a few here didn't. Those of us who didn't spend the full price got it at the educational discount, which is more than affordable (AcademicSuperstore for the win!). If you honestly think Lightwave is too expensive, then the legal world of 3d is not one for you. Go take a look at the pricing on 3d Studio Max or Maya if you want expensive...

Holy Mother... Lightwave for ****ED cheap! (http://www.academicsuperstore.com/item/?tname=245520&title=LightWave+3D&page=)
Anyone else noticed the price on AcademicSuperstore? WOW!
Nem: if you do indeed have a cracked copy of lightwave, here is your chance. I'm assuming you're still a student in highschool/middleschool (judging from your reaction to the price)? Go buy this, it's completely legit, and you can later upgrade to a commercial liscense. It's a legal steal.

marble_sheep
10-03-2005, 12:47 PM
:lol:

:twak:

If you think professional-level software should cost 70 bucks, you really need to find a new hobby! ROFL

What, do you think all those programmers should work for free??? Dude, you would have siht a brick a few years ago when Maya cost, oh what was it, 12 grand?

Nemesys
10-03-2005, 12:48 PM
Your right, Lightwave is definately the cheapest 3d software on the market. It is also the best 3d software that I have used so far. Heck, i'm surprised that runs on my old K6 333mh computer (dinosaur). Hats off to the developing team for making such a versatile product. Although, the developers may disagree with my penny-pinching attitude. Iam sure there are other artist like myself that would love to get their hands on the latest copy of Lightwave but dont want to dish-out $700 everytime a new version comes out. That is why there are upgrades. Moreover, I live in eastern Canada and lightwave isn't widely distributed here. There are no software venders that have even know what it is. So I have to look elsewhere for a copy of it and hope that they will ship it to me.

Its been only a two weeks since I began using LW7 with no prior experience and already I have made three cool models. Who knows what my next project will be.

Take care and keep rendering.

Nemesys
10-03-2005, 12:50 PM
My appologies for posting twice.

lardbros
10-03-2005, 12:55 PM
What makes you think I have an illegal copy? I just dont have the dongle which was in the box when my friend bought it but he must have lost it since then. That is probally why I got it at such a discount ($40).

On the other hand, i'm sure you didn't pay $800 for lightwave. Don't get me wrong. I say the price should be roughly the same as games or movies. Under $70 is a good start. That way Newtek would sell far more copies and that alone would make up for the difference in price. Think of the advantages it would have. Charge less to sell more. Now there is a concept that works.

...and that concludes the lessons for today!!!!

The lessons for today? , thanks! The reason some of us think you have an illegal copy is

1) you didn't have a dongle, and obviously were running the normal version 7 without the dongle... =cracked. Then when you tried to install the updates you suddenly needed the dongle. That's what happens.

2)Your mate sold you software worth a few hundred pounds for 20 quid. hmmm. And neglected to tell you that you didnt get the dongle? I'd ask for my money back.. a new dongle is probably gonna cost you $40. You'll have to get in touch with newtek with your LW serial number.

And LW is one of the cheapest alround packages you can buy. I'm sure if 3d software was bought by everyone the same way movies and games are then the price would be the same as movies or games. But 3d software is still a small market compared to the movies and games selling. Why else could Alias have cost tens of thousands of pounds just a decade ago?

Jockomo
10-03-2005, 04:38 PM
On the other hand, i'm sure you didn't pay $800 for lightwave. Don't get me wrong. I think lightwave is an awesome product but lets face it, no software is worth that kind of money. You shouldn't have to apply for a loan just to buy software. I say the price should be roughly the same as games or movies. Under $70 is a good start. That way Newtek would sell far more copies and that alone would make up for the difference in price. Think of the advantages it would have. Charge less to sell more. Now there is a concept that works.

First of all I am quite sure I paid much more than $800. In fact I did indeed take out a loan for the $7,000 dongle that Newtek once called the Amiga Video Toaster 2000.

What a little warez chump like yourself fails to experience is that Lightwave has paid for itself many many many times over. In fact at the current price, Lightwave would easily pay for itself in one job for me.

As far as the price, what makes you think $70 software can compete with Free open source software (blender)?

Personally I'd much rather NewTek charge twice the amount they are charging and hire more programmers to ensure they stay on (near) the top of all 3d apps out there.

The day Lightwave sells for $70 you can bet I won't be using it.

The fact is, if you did pay for the software, you got conned by your 'friend' because if they actually paid for it, they would be well aware how important having the dongle is.

mkiii
10-03-2005, 05:05 PM
:grumpy: Chuck...

Can we just have a [My dog ate my][My copy didn't come with a][where can I buy a] dongle Forum, that isn't included in the forum search routines, so we don't waste time on them?

You can put it under the ''Why should *I* have to spend that sort of cash to get software'' slot. :grumpy:

mkiii
10-03-2005, 05:22 PM
Your right, Lightwave is definately the cheapest 3d software on the market. It is also the best 3d software that I have used so far. Heck, i'm surprised that runs on my old K6 333mh computer (dinosaur). Hats off to the developing team for making such a versatile product. Although, the developers may disagree with my penny-pinching attitude. Iam sure there are other artist like myself that would love to get their hands on the latest copy of Lightwave but dont want to dish-out $700 everytime a new version comes out. That is why there are upgrades. Moreover, I live in eastern Canada and lightwave isn't widely distributed here. There are no software venders that have even know what it is. So I have to look elsewhere for a copy of it and hope that they will ship it to me.

Its been only a two weeks since I began using LW7 with no prior experience and already I have made three cool models. Who knows what my next project will be.

Take care and keep rendering.

You didn't look very hard -
http://www.videolink.ca/start.html

Toronto, maybe 300 miles away from you, but they do free delivery. You do have a postal service there don't you?

swpspce
10-03-2005, 05:38 PM
actually you could try http://www.3diweb.com/ - I ordered my copy through them - great guy(s). I dealt with André. This is in Montréal.

Further more it took then less than 5 days to get it...highly recommeded if you are in the Montréal area.

oh, and stop whinging...

swpspce
10-03-2005, 05:41 PM
You didn't look very hard -
http://www.videolink.ca/start.html

Toronto, maybe 300 miles away from you, but they do free delivery. You do have a postal service there don't you?

no he did not nor did he want too.

funny - 300 miles is almost the distance from Toronto to Montréal give or take a few clicks. It is a bit more than that from Toronto to Campellton, NB - regardless though - if you found a solution so could he...if there is a will there is a way

WizCraker
10-03-2005, 10:36 PM

I just couldn't hold out any longer.

Yes I did pay $800 for Lightwave 10 years ago in 1995 for version 5.0 I bought the student license which was $799 not the cheap price it is today. I didn't upgrade to the commercial license until version 6.0 and I've been ugrading to every version since, which $395 is cheap compared to the other packages. And to come to think of it Yes I also took out a loan as I bought a computer the same time. The total cost came out to $3500. I was 15 years old and I even paid off the loan 2 years ahead of schedule. Just to show you that it is possible I was makeing $4.75 an hour and had no problem paying for it.

You can't tell us you don't work to pay for stuff like Software.

Also you are aware that everytime you post your IP address gets logged which having you say you are using an Illegal version of the software gives NewTek's Lawyers an easier time prosecuting you.

Nemesys
10-04-2005, 12:42 PM
funny - 300 miles is almost the distance from Toronto to Montréal give or take a few clicks. It is a bit more than that from Toronto to Campellton, NB - regardless though - if you found a solution so could he...if there is a will there is a way

How come my hometown is listed in this forum? But I'll have you know that Im using a public computer so it not likely that anyone can find out who I really am. Ah by the way, I do live much further than 300miles from Toronto.

Like I said in my last posting that computer stores in New Brunswick just do not sell 3d software. They rather sell garbage software like nortons anti-virus (resource hog).

If lightwave is currently selling for $350 I sure would like to find out where cause I cant find it anywhere. Furthermore, I never shop or use credit cards online to purchase anything...so don't post urls.

lardbros
10-04-2005, 01:23 PM
$350 , you can't find it anywhere? Isn't lightwave educational version that? and IF you own a real genuine copy (think we have kinda Columbo'd you though), then an upgrade is only $299 to version 9 and you get Vue, and 8.3!

Cheap really, considering what you get.

Not sure you will get LW in your software shop round the corner, or from HMV or Virgin stores. So the internet is probably the only option to buy it from. Not sur eif Newtek America has a similar service to Europe, but you can get them to phne you back and buy it over the phone. That's what i did, and they were bloody friendly too. (spose they would be when you hand over more than £300)

Nemesys
10-04-2005, 01:33 PM
No, buying stuff online is just too risky ragardless how security a network claims to be. So buying software online is not for me. If you want to be foolish and take chances with your idenity and your credit then go ahead.

Like I said earlier, I was lucky enough to get LW7 for a good price from a friend who was taking a course in montreal but later dropped out. I like to get version 8 but it is out of my reach.

Jockomo
10-04-2005, 01:45 PM
Let me get this straight, you just got scammed for $40 by your friend, but you are too scared to use a credit card over and encrypted connection with companies that do millions of dollars of legitimate business a year?

swpspce
10-04-2005, 01:56 PM
How come my hometown is listed in this forum?

this light does not shine too bright...

WizCraker
10-04-2005, 06:11 PM
No, buying stuff online is just too risky ragardless how security a network claims to be. So buying software online is not for me. If you want to be foolish and take chances with your idenity and your credit then go ahead.

Buying online is safer and more secure than giving your credit or debit card or writing a check at a store.

Oh and just because you use a public computer doesn't mean you can't be found. Public computers are usually being watched by big brother.

fyrissian
10-04-2005, 06:32 PM
Shop online. Find the best price. Send an email to that company's sales department, ask how much the total price is (including shipping and any relevant taxes), and find out where to send a LETTER with a CHECK. Easy!

Riplakish
10-04-2005, 08:21 PM
I just wrote the most amazing flame of this individual, and then, somewhere in the back of my subconcious mind, I heard....

"Do not feed the trolls".

Dude is just SOL without the dongle. I doubt he'll succeed at getting anyone to give/ship him one for less than full price. He'll just go on thinking hes smarter than the rest of us. :stumped:

lardbros
10-05-2005, 04:02 AM

Think what he's trying to say is that it's too risky using his own credit card online. He'll happily use other peoples though! :D (joking)

I wasn't saying buy online anyway... i said use Newtek's callback method. They phone you and you give your details over the phone.

Nemesys
10-06-2005, 11:06 AM
I will only buy from a retailer cause I dont trust transactions online. Also, I dont want to order it from the states cause shipping, taxes, and duty would be too much. I would rather get the latest version from a store but there are none in my area or anywhere near here. Besides, the price varies from place to place. Buying isn't as tuff as finding it.

I still wonder why some 3d software is so exspensive. Lightwave is definately the cheapest on the market but still burns a hole in my wallet. I understand that Lightwave isn't quite mainstream yet and so far not very popular outside the artistic world. Newtek targets there sales to a small minority of artist which in effect raises the price. However, that wouldn't explain why all software is expensive. Take for example, microsoft office which is a very popular application and yet heavily overpriced. Let's face it, no software is worth a $1000 unless it for industry use only like the application used to make patterns for textiles. How come the pricetag of dvd players are cut in half after only a year but yet software never gets cheaper?

Jockomo
10-06-2005, 11:41 AM
Dude. Honestly, go away and come back when you grow up and have a job.

Lightwave is not a toy. It is "industrial" software, used by "professionals" who don't want to see their software go down the drain by trying to appeal to kiddies like yourself.

No one here believes your excuses and furthermore no one here can help you.

Your friend scammed you, and most likely knew exactly what he was doing when he did it. If you need help, call your "friend".

If you honestly and sincerely want to get into 3d and have no money or can't figure out how to get a legitimate copy, I suggest you visit blender3d.com that's where the free 3d program is located.

coremi
10-06-2005, 11:49 AM
3D software is expensive because they are professional tools, meaning people buy them to make money with this software. 3D software is no WINRAR or ZIP, almost every computer needs one, so there are a lot of customers. 3D software is hard to learn and understand, and very hard to be good at it, so there a few people who buy 3D professional software, it is a niche. Just think that maybe Newtek has around 250.000 users and 3dsMax maybe 400.000, and Maya with XSI and Houdini another 500.000 together, shade around 200.000 also C4D etc... Total maybe the most 2 milion people paying for 10 type of software. how many computers are in the world running ?
just think that Microsoft wanted to end WINNT and found out that out there are around 50 milion servers based on WINNT, so in the world are bilions and bilions of computers and only 2 milions use 3D software.

Nemesys
10-06-2005, 12:02 PM
Bender?? Bender sucks.....Get with the program. By the way, I did pay for lightwave (third party mind you) nonetheless I bought it. LW7 works fine on my PC but its only when I try installing the 7.5 upgrades that it wants to run in discovery mode. I want no restrictions. I feel that all software is overpriced unlike their hardware counterpart - the PC - which you get better for cheaper with each passing year. That is not the case with software.
Dude. Honestly, go away and come back when you grow up and have a job. Dame, you hate it when Im right. You are the type of idiot who brags how you overpay for stuff ...like you're rich and oneUp on everyone. Meanwhile, real rich people look for bargains. Sucker!!!!!!

Jockomo
10-06-2005, 12:06 PM
yep, you're right. happy?

Then again I am not the one crying because I bought a cracked copy of lightwave and can't upgrade.

lardbros
10-06-2005, 12:27 PM
Bender?? Bender sucks.....Get with the program. By the way, I did pay for lightwave (third party mind you) nonetheless I bought it. LW7 works fine on my PC but its only when I try installing the 7.5 upgrades that it wants to run in discovery mode. I want no restrictions. I feel that all software is overpriced unlike their hardware counterpart - the PC - which you get better for cheaper with each passing year. That is not the case with software. Dame, you hate it when Im right. You are the type of idiot who brags how you overpay for stuff ...like you're rich and oneUp on everyone. Meanwhile, real rich people look for bargains. Sucker!!!!!!

Watch it mate, your arguing with the wrong people. Like we have said before... if your copy of Lightwave 7 runs fine WITHOUT!!... that's without the dongle, which it obviously does otherwise you wouldn't be asking what one was, then it's illegal mate! Microsoft Office is expensive-ish but then it tends to be for corporate places, or bundled with a PC. 3D software is VERY MUCH more specialised... has less money behind it than Microsoft, and not EVERYONE in the computer world will make 3d models or animations, like they do type or word process (or try to word process, Word is pretty crappy still, hasn't changed much since windows 3.8).

Dvd's and players are MUCH cheaper because once they have been built and released they become old models... they reduce prices to sell the old ones just before the newer model comes out. It works too.

I wouldn't make too much noise in this place Nemesys, or Chuck or someone will be onto you quicker than you can say "What's a dongle?"

... oh too late.

TheDynamo
10-06-2005, 01:41 PM
And here I was thinkin "Dongle" was just a name people called their naughty bits... :devil:

-Dyn

Jockomo
10-06-2005, 02:50 PM
I wouldn't make too much noise in this place Nemesys, or Chuck or someone will be onto you quicker than you can say "What's a dongle?"

... oh too late.

Heh, yea, if you think Lightwave is expensive, wait till you find out how much lawyers cost.

lardbros
10-06-2005, 03:19 PM
Heh, yea, if you think Lightwave is expensive, wait till you find out how much lawyers cost.

Oh my god... yeah.... imagine if Lightwave cost £100 per hour (or probably much more) like lawyers, you'd render a single radiosity lit scene and it'll cost you a grand or more. Lightwave seems dead cheap.

J-Lo spent $175,000 on a framed photograph of Ben Affleck. Now Lightwave seems even cheaper.

Now Nemesys, if you don't buy 20 DVD's (which are so much cheaper than Lightwave) you'll be able to buy Lightwave outright.

swpspce
10-06-2005, 03:31 PM
Bender?? Bender sucks.....Get with the program. By the way, I did pay for lightwave (third party mind you) nonetheless I bought it. LW7 works fine on my PC but its only when I try installing the 7.5 upgrades that it wants to run in discovery mode. I want no restrictions. I feel that all software is overpriced unlike their hardware counterpart - the PC - which you get better for cheaper with each passing year. That is not the case with software. Dame, you hate it when Im right. You are the type of idiot who brags how you overpay for stuff ...like you're rich and oneUp on everyone. Meanwhile, real rich people look for bargains. Sucker!!!!!!

give it up - newbie (you know what I mean!) - and newbie it is not synonymous with "New Beginner" either. Your whinning has become tiresome - and your de Champ reasoning has lost its charm...

keving007
10-06-2005, 08:48 PM
... By the way, I did pay for lightwave (third party mind you) nonetheless I bought it.

No you did not. You may have been conned and payed your 'friend' for a cracked version, but that is not legal. Everything about what you have said definitely leads me to believe you do not own a license.

If for some strange reason, I found out that something I believed was legit, turned out to be an illegal copy, I would definitely get rid of it and delete any trace of me ever having it and I would most of all shutup about it. . . . After that I would pay my 'friend' a visit.