PDA

View Full Version : Need help with rendering to Windows Media

Mediaworx
09-29-2005, 09:47 AM
We did our first live Webcast Saturday without a glitch!! Now I have to render it to windows media for archiving and streaming. However, when I go to render the file, VT tells me my current combination of settings cannot be used by Windows Media. Does anyone know the correct combination of codecs resolutions and audio settings for this. I've done a forum search and have RTFM to no avail.

Mick Haensler
Director of Media Services
The Fountains Wedding and Conference Center

Ivan
09-29-2005, 10:23 AM
Save your project as an AVI, File/Save Project As/ change format to AVI, then render the AVI using Windows Media Encoder.

Ivan

Mediaworx
09-29-2005, 10:43 AM
Thanks Ivan, That did the trick

billmi
09-29-2005, 10:53 AM
You can render straight to Windows Media, you don't need to do AVI and then WME.

If you had selected floating point audio when trying to render to Windows Media, I beleive that would have caused the error.

Ivan
09-29-2005, 02:24 PM
You do understand that saving a project as an AVI does not require rendering right? WME also gives you a lot of options that may or may not appear in the VT Render panel. Anyway I have always found this to be a reliable alternative to rendering directly in VT and though it may just be personal preference I can say that I have never had to check to see if I was using FP audio. One less thing to trouble shoot.

Ivan

Jim_C
09-29-2005, 02:42 PM
And AFAIK, you can't use the Windows Media 9 codec to render from at the timeline. Its 7 (or 8) off the timeline.

And no 2-pass.

But it is handy for quickies...

billmi
09-29-2005, 03:35 PM
Yep, 8 shows up in rendering from timeline not 9.

And no, my head was thick and I didn't remember that AVI Wrapper would save the time of rendering an AVI :-)

So here's a WME question - how can you select for it to dedicate less than 48 KBps to audio? I've been rendering WM 8 out of timeline for 56Kbps, and WME for Cable/DSL use.

Jim_C
09-29-2005, 04:21 PM
So here's a WME question - how can you select for it to dedicate less than 48 KBps to audio? I've been rendering WM 8 out of timeline for 56Kbps, and WME for Cable/DSL use.

Properties button at top.
Compression tab.
Edit button.
Kbps tab.

Audio is in a drop down.
These will vary based on your audio codec chosen at the initial compression tab.

Hope that helps.
You've given a lot of knowledge and info here Bill, nice to repay the favor finally.

Jim

billmi
09-30-2005, 03:05 PM
Properties button at top.
Compression tab.
Edit button.
Kbps tab.

Audio is in a drop down.
These will vary based on your audio codec chosen at the initial compression tab.

I'm not in front of my VT at the moment, but if memory serves that's right where I was selecting it. Using the WM 9 codec, I wasn't getting an option below 48 Kbps for the audio, which meant a 56Kbps modem stream was a little shy of anything left for video. I just encoded with 8 from VT for the 56Kbps version that I needed. I'd like to figure out how to get it in 9, for the increased image quality, as 8 is lacking compared to what I can do in Real at the lower bitrate.

You've given a lot of knowledge and info here Bill, nice to repay the favor

Mediaworx
10-01-2005, 07:40 AM
Lots of great stuff here everyone. Thanks a bunch. I saved out as an AVI from VT, dropped it into WME and was able to perform the compression. The audio was a frame or two off, but other than that everything was fine. Thanks again.

Mick Haensler
Director of Media Services
The Fountains Wedding and Conference Center

billmi
10-01-2005, 07:44 AM
I've had this happen a couple of times when I encoded in WME. The audio was off a couple of frames, when I played it back on my VT system with the sound generated by the VT. However moving the same file to another computer, it played back in sync, so I suspect it was just a glitch in the VT's handling of audio for Windows Apps outside of the VT suite.