PDA

View Full Version : Software for screen -> AVI or sequence of frames?

Riplakish
09-29-2005, 08:55 AM
All,
I'm in the process of planning for and budgeting a series of "how to" web videos for my day job that will include some rough LW models and animations combined (hopefully) with some "console sessions" to demonstrate installation and configuration of equipment.

However, what I've yet been able to find is a decent software package that can grab
frames from the display and save them either to a sequence of still images or an AVI file. The frame rate doesn't have to be that great (even 1fps is probably sufficient for the task), but more is better, obviously :D

Does anyone have any suggestions? I'm really trying to avoid having to set up ye old camcorder and worry about lighting, scan rates, etc. - I'm planning on enough trouble with that for the live shots :help:

cresshead
09-29-2005, 02:57 PM
if your looking at want to screen record your computer monitor display then there's a couple if your on pc.

hypercam
camstasia

there's also a couple for mac by different app makes too....

also if your video card has a s vhs output then you can simply record from that.....

if you need to talk [record sound] and video then camstasia is great...i use it for teaching students etc.

if you get a back issue of PC format magazine or 3d world they gave away a full version a few months back [about 6-8 months back]

cheers
steve g :lwicon:

Riplakish
09-29-2005, 03:11 PM
Thanks. I'll take a look at hypercam (the price is clearly better, and my needs simple), and them move up if I hit the wall.

I had considered the Svideo port on my laptop to record to the camcorder, but I'm concerned that the display quality has always been a bit crappy when connected to the TV, and I'm not sure the camcorder will be much better.

Anyhow, thanks for the pointers. Either should suit the project just fine.

krimpr
09-29-2005, 05:06 PM
http://www.techsmith.com/products/snagit/default.asp

This is a cool app and a great utility. Records avi at user defined framerate, and is inexpensive. I don't know if that's what you're looking for?...

JamesCurtis
09-29-2005, 06:39 PM
There is also CamStudio at

http://www.camstudio.org/

Direct link to download:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=131922&package_id=144908&release_id=318532

It works pretty well and is FREE!

It saves AVI's and SWF formats. Does both audio and video capture. I believe it is still available.

WizCraker
09-29-2005, 06:50 PM
wmv encoder from Microsoft is free.

Does screen grabs in either real time or every x seconds.

Only downside is if the user they use an aplle computer and they are incompetent of installing the WMP for Mac.

Pros, file size is excellent for high quality. but nothing beats the products from Techsmith. I like SnagIt for instance for screen grabs. quick and painless.

Scott_Blinn
09-29-2005, 06:54 PM
I use Camtasia Studio for creating in-house tutorials for employees here at the studio. Works very well and is easy/fast to use.

groove660
09-29-2005, 08:21 PM
Im pretty sure that the video tutorials for Inside LightWave 8 were captured with Camtasia and the images in the book were captured with SnagIt. Infact there is a small video on the Inside LightWave 8 dvd that shows how it works etc.

Foregot to add the quality of the vids are great.