PDA

View Full Version : layout crash and hub

illusory
09-28-2005, 08:49 PM
It seems that every time I go from modeller to Layout, Layout crashes. This is a simple matter where I am working on an object in modeller, and when I switch to Layout, it attempts to update with the changed version, and it can't handle it. I'm not going back and forth quickly or anything like that.

I was looking at the hub (the culprit no doubt), and there's something strange going on there. I'm using LW 8.3, but look at the pic. It shows Layout and modeller 8.3 being loaded, but also another instance of Layout and modeller. Could this be the problem? I don't know why or how this is happening.

Any ideas what I can do or why there are these 4 instances in the hub?

thanks,
NJ

illusory
10-13-2005, 08:04 PM
Please, does anyone know what's going on here???? :help:

I intalled 8.5, and now the hub wants to let me launch all these???!!!!

I can't help but feel that this is behind why LIGHTWAVE CRASHES EVERY TIME I CHANGE FROM MODELLER TO LAYOUT!!!!

This is completely unacceptable. I've HAD it.

anyone???
NJ

Silkrooster
10-13-2005, 08:10 PM
This same thing happened with 8.3. I recommend you open the hub config file and remove the extra settings, or delete the config file and let hub recreate the config file.
Silk

ACLOBO
10-13-2005, 08:12 PM
after you have installed your update, go into your prefereces for the HUB. These are usually found in

C:\Documents and Settings\"your adminstrator or user name here"

In this folder you will see a file that says, "LWHUB8"

Erase this and then restart lightwave, modeler, use f12 to switch between them and it will write a new hub config. Then exit everything and start up again. This SHOULD get rid of those extra and old instances of 8.0, 8.3 showing up in your hub.

-Adrian

illusory
10-13-2005, 10:32 PM
Thanks a lot for these tips, that worked to get rid of the extra instances in the hub. Still crashes though. I've tried a couple things after this to see if i can affect it. The one combo which seems to help is to make sure all the polys are showing in modeller (none hidden), that multiple views is active (default),and that I minimize modeller instead of switching to layout. Then wait awhile before i touch layout. So far by doing this I've managed to switch without a crash a few times in a row.

Of course this is absurd, because that means when I go back to modeller, i have to redo my selection/hiding surfaces each time -- and with a complex model that is very time-consuming. Plus, I don't have to do any of this on my main computer, and it only crashes occasionally going to layout.

If you have any experience solving this crash problem in a less difficult way, please share.

thanks much,
NJ

spec24
10-14-2005, 08:58 AM
Of course this is absurd, because that means when I go back to modeller, i have to redo my selection/hiding surfaces each time -- and with a complex model that is very time-consuming. Plus, I don't have to do any of this on my main computer, and it only crashes occasionally going to layout.

If you have any experience solving this crash problem in a less difficult way, please share.

thanks much,
NJ

Usually when I have this happen it's because of a plugin. You might want to look into that possibility, worht a shot :)

ACLOBO
10-14-2005, 09:49 AM
I agree with Spec.....

I know it is a pain and I am thinking of doing this myself to see if some bugs will disappear.

Consider installing lightwave Fresh. back up your files (scenes, objects, etc), then uninstall lightwave and delete all references to it - use teh search in your files/folders and regedit. Cold boot, install and reboot between updates. Then, install any custom plugs you have one or a couple at a time. Then mess around with lightwave and modeler to see if they are behaving. If it is a plug, then you will be able to more easily see which one it might be if you install them a couple at a time instead of scanning a huge directory.

This is really a pain in the butt however, it may be something that we may have to to in order to iron out our favorite app (bugs and issues are causing me to start looking elsewhere for the first time - I love lightwave, but if 9 doesn't kick all sorts of butt, this long time user is thinking about looking elsewhere, or at least not upgrading every opportunity).

-Adrian

illusory
10-14-2005, 12:52 PM
You mean layout plugins?
The only ones I am using are quite necessary (and paid for!) -- like FPrime and Kray. Which I am also using on my main computer, with no problem. Fairly recent LW installations on both of these, as they are newer systems (built within the past year).

Thing is, I like to use my laptop in the evening to work on models, and previewing how they will render is very important. But I'm always sure to not have Fprime or Kray running when I switch to modeller, and that always goes fine. Then I switch back to layout and have a crash.

I'm beginning to notice that the sensitivity here may be related to the incremental update. Because I almost always do this in modeller after working on a model and then go back to layout to check it out. It seems like the 'reliability' of it crashing has increased after 8.0 (or some update thereafter), when increm. update was introduced.

I'm also beginning to fear the dreaded ATI video card issues some mention. On the laptop I have an ATI mobility Radeon 9700. Now, this card has 256m dedicated video ram, and has run LW decently within layout or modeller, openGL and everything. But my main computer has a GeForce TI 4400, and the switching is seldom a problem there if i am reasonably careful.

So, does anyone know if there are settings on ATI cards that could be enabled/disabled which may relate to the LW switch from modeller to layout? Or in Lightwave to help it with this if it is a video card problem?

many thanks,
NJ

Dodgy
10-14-2005, 03:24 PM
The first thing I would do is backup all your configs, save your menus and hotkeys from within LW's menu editor and hotkey editor and try deleting ALL the cfg files in your documents and settings directory. See if just working with bare LW fixes it. If it does, there's something dodgy. Then go through each cfg and try replacing it with your back up one by one. Hopefully you'll find one which crashes LW. If that doesn't work, uninstall everything (having backed up your presets and plugins directory) and delete all references like aclobo says.

illusory
10-14-2005, 04:34 PM
something dodgy, eh? This is a good idea about the configs, I'll try it.

thanks,
NJ

mkiii
10-14-2005, 07:03 PM
Same Layout crash here the first couple of times. You wouldn't happen to have an ATI card there would you?

BTW - same items appearing in the hub. I doubt that they are the cause, because they are just ignored, but it can't hurt to delete them from the config.

newsvixen8
10-14-2005, 07:29 PM
Just FYI - I had a fresh install of 8.3 on a brand new hard drive, no plug-ins, no prior versions, no extra config files, and experienced the same crashing when switching between programs. (Layout can't seem to accept any changes to the model.) Sounds like the definition of a bug to me.
(Oh yeah, card is NVidia Quadro FX 3400)