PDA

View Full Version : Cool "Anchor" plugin coming.

JMarc
09-28-2005, 10:03 AM
Did anyone else see that cool Anchor plugin at Siggraph?

Deuce showed it to me behind the booth. It used UV data to attach one object to another object's surface. Very cool stuff. He attached a null to another object and he just slid it around on the other object's geometry. There was an offset too so you could give it some distance away from the other object.

I've been waiting for this type of constraint in Lightwave for years. Not sure if this will be in 8.5 or 9.0 but I can't wait!

Deuce? Proton? Can anyone shed any light on this cool new feature?

Dodgy
09-28-2005, 10:23 AM
It'll be in 9 :)

hrgiger
09-28-2005, 10:38 AM
I see what you're saying but could you give a few examples of how it might be useful?

Dodgy
09-28-2005, 10:58 AM
Bugs crawling over a character, soldiers going over landscapes, any place where one thing has to adhere to a surface.. Buttons...

LyonHaert
09-28-2005, 11:07 AM
That would have been incredibly useful about 2 years ago when I had to animate a cartoon worm crawling across uneven ground. I don't even remember exactly how I did it, but it took forever.

It will definitely come in handy in future projects, though. Not sure how useful it would be in getting a character to walk over uneven ground, but it might be.

Karmacop
09-28-2005, 11:30 AM
These were two different tools. One was parenting based on UVs, the other was the "avoiding an object" tool. Although since you said Deuce showed you, maybe Dodgy and I are confused :)

JMarc
09-28-2005, 02:54 PM
I didn't see any "avoiding an object" tool. How did it work?

kml12
09-28-2005, 07:05 PM
Sounds like a cool plug, come on 9, well after 8.5 :thumbsup:

Karmacop
09-29-2005, 01:39 AM
I didn't see any "avoiding an object" tool. How did it work?

The example was putting a sphere object infront of a null. WHile the null would usually pass through this object, with the plugin active it would move around and avoid the object, and then continue on it's path.

starbase1
09-29-2005, 04:20 AM
Well I like the idea of being able to animate particle emitters moving over an object. Consider a laser beam firing off sparks as it passes over an object...

I see what you're saying but could you give a few examples of how it might be useful?

walfridson
09-29-2005, 05:09 AM
Both tools can be seen in the 05 sigvideos available online

JamesCurtis
09-29-2005, 06:27 AM
By any chance might the plugin be made available for the users of 8.5. I'm not going to be able to update to 9 for quite a while due to financial reasons.

Really would love it.

lasco
09-29-2005, 09:57 AM
mmm… sounds promising.
I hope it will help us to drop trees by hundreds on landscape scenes.
Currently it's something that take amounts of time.

Though I wonder in what UVs have to do something with such a function ?

DogBoy
09-29-2005, 10:56 AM
Though I wonder in what UVs have to do something with such a function ?

it would mean things like endomorphs wouldn't throw it as the "point" it was parented to would displace taking the object with it (and I don't mean the vertex).

Dodgy
09-29-2005, 11:28 AM
Well it probably determines how the object flows over the other object's 2d surface.

evenflcw
09-29-2005, 12:24 PM
These are probably what is refered to as Sticky and Proximity Item modifiers in the preliminary LW9 Feature List. I am too very much looking forward to these, but not mainly for their obvious uses. I imagine they could be helpfull making more intuitive custom controls for rigs aswell (especially the UV based one, but it depends on how they acctually work).

pixym
09-29-2005, 06:08 PM
This new Item Motion plug-in allows an object to move on or by an offset distance across the surface of a target mesh.

Jarno
09-30-2005, 12:23 AM
There are several related new features here. Some of these may end up being integrated into a single tool.

Sticky: Snaps an item to the nearest spot on a mesh (not just nearest vertex)

Proximity: A channel modifier which computes the nearest distance between an item and a mesh (as opposed to the distance between two item origins). Yes I know, having this as a gradient input would be cool.

Anchor: Keeps an item at a specified UV coordinate on a mesh.

Names and features are subject to change bla bla bla.

---JvdL---

colkai
09-30-2005, 04:43 AM
bla bla bla ..heheh.. ;)
Yup - exciting times and looking forward to seeing how all these new tools and current features evolve and combine over time. :D
Kudos to all at Newtek (and of course TLU :) )

lardbros
09-30-2005, 01:36 PM
Wow, this does sound cool. Something i hadn't even heard about for LW9!

Was all this possible beforehand? or is it just the improvements to LW with version 9 that has made it a possibility? Ooh, 9 is sounding an incredible upgrade.