PDA

View Full Version : THinking of buying a student version of Lightwave- Questions

snickrep
05-03-2003, 10:27 AM
Hello users!
I've been playing with Lightwave Discovery for a couple of days, and I can't describe how much I like it.

I have a few questions about purchasing a student version of LightWave 3D 7 license in the US:

1) will the license expire after one-year, so I'll have to renew it every year? Or would it work forever?

2) As I learn lightwave and when I go to collage, I collages use this also? Will I be able to get a career were folks use lightwave?

3) How is game development with lightwave?

4) What is Maya like? And how does it compare to lightwave?

Sorry if these questions are silly :) Thanks for your help

rabid pitbull
05-03-2003, 10:53 AM
1) As far as i know the license is good forever.

2) Not sure what your asking... If you mean can you learn lightwave with the academic version and then get a job in the industry. Yes, but of course your academic license cannot be used for paying work. You can upgrade to the full version later though if you want to freelance.

3) Lightwave is used in many games movies and commercials, it is all possible with lightwave.

4) Never used maya, but there is a demo if you would like to try it.

good luck:)

hrgiger
05-03-2003, 11:58 AM
1) Just like Rabid said, I believe it's good forever. Until you decide to upgrade.

2) I haven't checked a lot but the few schools I've seen use Maya and Max. There are also schools that use Lightwave. I would check here on Newtek's site to find an authorized Newtek training school/center if you want to Learn Lightwave in school. It might be beneficial to use Lightwave at home and learn Maya in school. Both packages do pretty much the same thing with some differnces obviously. When it gets down to it, it's modeling, texturing, animating and rendering. Both have their strengths and weaknesses.

3) Lightwave is used for games currently and Newtek says version 8 will have even more tools for the game developer. So yes.

4) Try the demo but I think you'll find Lightwave easier to learn. Lightwave is also cheaper which I think is reason enough. Plus, I think there are good things ahead in LW8.

ackees
05-04-2003, 12:58 PM
H. Do you think students should get a free pack of LW? Competitors are offering free education packs with training DVD's. LW is under threat at the student, college end, there is some agressive marketing going on - things are moving very fast LW must wake up.

mattclary
05-05-2003, 06:38 AM
I think Newtek should include a six pack of your choice with the purchase of LightWave. :)