PDA

View Full Version : content manager

pilkiwilky
09-26-2005, 04:50 PM
How am I supposed to have my files structured? I have a scene file that I chave collected models and surfaces for, but EVERY time I open it I still have to go hunting around for the models and images.

I have my scene file in a folder on the Desktop called "Scenes" then on the same desktop a folder called models and one called surfaces.

What am I doing wrong?

thanks

Surrealist.
09-26-2005, 06:07 PM
LW looks for the folders Scene, Objects, Images etc. as root directories.

Imagine if you had a hard drive set up with no other folders than these folders.

Browse from the content manager and set it to this drive and LW would find all of the files in the folders.

Now if you put those folders in another folder simply set the content directory to that folder. So it's whatever location the folders are in that is the directory to set the content directory to.

If all the folders are on a CD rom then set the content directory to the CD drive. If they are in a folder on the CD set the content directory to that folder on the CD.

On the desk top, same thing.

Also remember that the image locations are saved in the object if applied to it. So if you change the loaction of the image I think you still have to save the object again - used to be that way anyway.

EDIT: and by the way you are living a dangerous life storing your data on the system drive. Good idea is to get a separate drive. One that you do not use for anything - audio - video - anim files etc. just data, like scene files, objects, surfaces and the like. If it is a drive you only use to access this information and is not under the heavey stress of video and audio is best and definately NOT the system drive should you have an OS crash or anything happen to that drive, virus whatever. This way if you ever have a serious problem with your system you can simply reformatt and not wory about losing data.

Just a little experience talking. :)

Kuzey
09-26-2005, 06:26 PM
First the folders should be named "Objects", "Scenes" & "Images".

And it's best to have them reside in the one root folder, mine is named "Lightwave Projects".

There should be project folder with the same name in each of the "Objects", "Scenes" & "Images" folders as follows:

Lightwave Projects/Objects/My cool phone/"lw objects in here"

Lightwave Projects/Scenes/My cool phone/"lw scenes in here"

Lightwave Projects/Images/My cool phone/"Image textures in here"

Next you need to tell both Modeler and Layout were the "Objects, Scenes" folders are located.

Something like that.

Kuzey

Kuzey
09-26-2005, 06:32 PM
Surrealist beat me to it, as you can see...I'm very slow on the keyboard :)

Kuzey

pilkiwilky
09-27-2005, 10:21 AM
See that's what I thought, but I set my content directory as you said and the files still needs to be located!

Argh

MonroePoteet
09-27-2005, 12:47 PM
Did you rename the folders to match the required names?

You have the "Scenes" folder with the correct name.
It must be "Objects", not "models".
It must be "Images", not "surfaces".

A note on "Surfaces": there are packaged surfaces in LW, contained in .SRF files. However, these are only used in the Load and Save functions on the surfaces panel. When they are saved with an object, only the Images and other parameters are referenced in the object file, so .SRF files are not used. The Images folder is where the images are found, by default.

mTp

Dodgy
09-27-2005, 02:54 PM
You definitely doing some thing wrong.

First of all you DON'T NEED to set up an objects, scenes images etc directory, but it helps.

LW stores the path to images and objects relative to the content directory. So if your object and scene have both been saved, and all their images/objects are within the content directory SOMEWHERE(and not moved from their places after the scene has been saved of course!), LW will take the content directory and add the path to your image/object to that.

so
Content directory = l:\mylightwave
path= blah\ball.lwo
then LW will look for ball.lwo
l:\mylightwave\blah\ball.lwo

However, (this is where it's useful to have the objects/scenes/images directory) if it doesn't find the ball there, it'll look in the relevant subdirectory, like Objects. For example:

l:\mylightwave\objects\ball.lwo

Since surfaces are saved with the object, and therefore the images it uses, you have to save your objects if you want to keep links to textures.

If you scene contains an object which isn't in the content directory, then it will store the full path for the object.

I switch content directories all the time, they are very simple once you get the hang of them, as long as you keep all your image

Lightwolf
09-27-2005, 03:32 PM
Just to chime in...
As an alternative to what Kuzey suggested, we use a per project content directory approach.
I.e. On our server there is a share called content in which I create a new content folder per project we work on, i.e.

\\content\ProjectA\scenes
\\content\ProjectA\objects
\\content\ProjectA\images
\\content\ProjectB\scenes
\\content\ProjectB\objects
\\content\ProjectB\images

Actually, I have a few more folders in there, like render, surfaces, but this is just to keep organized.
I basically create a template project folder once with all the subdirectories, so if we start a new project all I have to do is copy and rename it, change the content directory and we're set. (Yeah, old-school before any content management stuff came up...)

That way we can easily backup on a per project basis too.

Cheers,
Mike