PDA

View Full Version : avi loading problems

_lalo_
09-26-2005, 01:40 PM
Hi everybody!

I'm using the same version of Lightwave 3D 7.5 on two computers - a sony vaio and a ipc(chiligreen) pc - both are running on Windows XP .

On the vaio everything is working perfectly - but on the pc, the more powerful machine I cannot import *.avi-files into lightwave using the image loader, although I installed all plugins (input - output plugins) - same way I did on the vaio. The *.avi shall be used as projection file.
Already re-installed the program... all other tools and plugins do work fine.

I used to click on 'load', then selecting 'all files' and choosing the *.avi - then it's doing like it if were loading something, but finally appears nothing...

Does anybody know what to do?

greetings from austria,
_lalo_

(Is there maybe another way of importing video files or might this be a windows or compression problem or do I need a further plugin ?)

spec24
09-27-2005, 10:57 AM
Hmm - that's a strange one. Unless one of your versions is a bootleg copy then I'm fresh out of ideas :D

MonroePoteet
09-27-2005, 12:10 PM
I'd guess the particular AVI codec to decode the animation is installed on one machine, but not on the other. For example, perhaps the AVI file is DV encoded, but you don't have a DV codec on the machine that's failing.

mTp

fyrissian
09-27-2005, 12:31 PM
I'm in agreement with mTp -- probably a missing codec. You can use this utility (http://www.headbands.com/gspot/) to determine what codec a particular AVI file requires, and whether or not it is on your system. If it's not, you can Google on the codec to find out how to install it.

munky
09-27-2005, 01:32 PM
Hi there,

The most reliable method I've found is to not use AVI's or QT's at all but to go for image sequences as they seem to be a lot more reliable. Although you will need to convert stuff (which if you don't have a package to do it is of no use, but if you have great! QT pro converts to image seqs BTW)

hope this is of some help

regards

paul

_lalo_
09-27-2005, 05:11 PM
Thanks mTp, fyrissian and paul for your answers-

Yes, it's the DV codec
- but there are 2 tools installed (thanks to GSpot I know now)

and I can also watch the the file with windows media player....

I'll try the sequence version - but it'll be lot of images ...

Will tell you about the results..

best, _lalo_

_lalo_
09-29-2005, 05:41 PM
Ya - sequences do work!

thanks a lot ! (should have known that ; ) )

susanne