PDA

View Full Version : morph and bone combinations

kate3078
09-26-2005, 04:06 AM
hiya.

i was wondering if anybody could help me with a morphing problem. i have a character rigged with skelegons to control her movement, and i am using morphs to create facial expressions. i'm finding however that when i try to, for example, turn her head and change her expression at the same time, i get bizarre deformations. it looks as though the morph map is somewhat attached to the head bone, and is being drawn up or reacting somehow according to its rotation. basically when her head is bent forwrd her lips get fatter accordingly.

ive tried all the options of 'use weight map only' on the head bone and its parent bones, and they only seem to mke it worse. does anybody have any idea how to solve this problem? i want the bones and the morphs to behave completely independantly of each other, but somehow they seem to be inter-relating.

thanks in advance.

-kate

spec24
09-26-2005, 10:43 AM
Did you make the morphs "relative" or "absolute"? This may be the problem although I have never tried using absolute morphs with bones, but never had any problem using relative morphs.

Surrealist.
09-26-2005, 02:57 PM
There is one other setting, actually two in case you have not checked these.

One is subdivision order to last on the object properties panel - which I am sure youve done already- and the other is use morph positions in the bones proerty panel.

Use Morphed Positions

With this enabled, bone deformations will be applied after morphs. This option can adversely affect performance; normally it should be turned off.

Something to check.

kate3078
09-27-2005, 03:09 AM
ok problem one solved... the mistake i made was so stupid i'm too embarrassed to explain it :P

ANYWAY i feel like i should move in cause i'm on these forums so much.. but now i have a new problem.

when i made the skelegons for my character, i made the bones to control her eyelids as separate group of bones, i.e. they are not connected to the main skeleton. i suspect this may have something to do with what is happening now, which is this:

when i first load the character in layout and convert skelegons, the eyelids work fine. but after i've moved my character around and set up her position (after parenting the eyelid bones to the characters' head bone), they no longer affect the mesh!! i can't figure out why this would be unless it has something to do ith the fact that they are not actually attached to the head bone.

the bones are all active and i've checked and rechecked the weight maps. can anybody help? this is for school.

thanks.
-kate

Dodgy
09-27-2005, 03:22 AM
Try resting the bones again (select the eyelids and press 'r') and see if that fixes it.

kate3078
09-27-2005, 10:28 PM
no such luck... they work when i reconvert and reposition them in the scene... but as soon as i reopen the scene i get the same problem again :( its kind annoying to have to keep replacing them...

Dodgy
09-28-2005, 04:32 AM
Wanna send me the scene?