PDA

View Full Version : Rita Survival Update

PIZAZZ
09-25-2005, 09:42 PM
I got some news from a cop friend of mine. He said nearly all my windows were all smashed in along with water damage from not having windows. The townhouse next door had beautiful Spanish Tile roofing which is now inside my building. I also own Beaumont Gymnastics Academy which is where the windows are located. My PIZAZZ business is nestled inside the rear of the building and doesn't have any windows luckily. Unfortunately anyone can walk into the building right now.

You can see what I mean about the 15 in total windows at the start page here www.beaumontgymnastics.com All but 1 or 2 have no glass in them now.

I will be traveling down to Beaumont tomorrow to see if I can get into town and secure my building. Anyone could just walk/crawl in right now. That is what I am most worried about. I left behind nearly all my gear except for the absolute necessary stuff. I pulled the server, primary computers, and of course my camera gear. There is still quite a bit of valuable gear there and I hate to give it away if I can prevent it.

All my family (including Employees) members are healthy and safe. It looks like the best estimate to have power back in the city is going to be 2 weeks. I am relocating from my brother's in Austin to a hotel in Houston so I can make any trips to Beaumont easier. (it wouldn't be the first time I built a computer in a hotel room). My home made it okay with only missing shingles and blown down fences like everyone elses. No flooding at all, thank God. The footage on FoxNews and such of Downtown Beaumont just killed us. The streets down there flood with a light sprinkle. The reporter remarked on how fast the water was draining away. Flooding is not something we aren't used to and our local drainage district guys have done a fantastic job designing a system of canals and drainage flood planes. The biggest problem my friend said was all the trees that took down the powerlines when they crashed down.

Thanks to all that were concerned and kept us in their prayers.

Keith Nealy
09-26-2005, 02:56 AM
Jef, glad to see that you are all safe and sound.

I don't envy you the cleanup and rebuilding that will be a part of your life for quite some time I'm afraid. I just hope you and your family can make it through this ordeal without unbearable stress.

Thanks for lettting us know how you are.

We were all worried about you.

aloha,

Keith

billmi
09-26-2005, 07:58 AM
Good to hear you and yours are safe and sound, Jef.

We made it through a pair of back to back hurricanes last year (ever see 120 mph wind - it is amazing!) and were without power for a bit over 2 weeks while the city around us returned to order.

Think of it as an adventure - it's like camping at home.

cybis
09-26-2005, 11:25 AM
Wow Jef,
That is awful news; I just hope things look better when you see the damage firsthand. If there's anything we can do for you, don't hesitate to holler!
Jeff

John Perkins
09-27-2005, 09:04 AM
Jeff, I'm glad you guys made it through as well as you did. All that stuff can be rebuilt but your family can't.

I just got back into town last night myself. Thank God I had only some sewage problems.

Don't forget I'm in Houston too, so if you need something, give me a call. I'm PM'ing you my home phone and email but I'm back in the office trying to get everything back in place if you need to contact me today.

PIZAZZ
09-27-2005, 10:11 AM
Thanks Guys!

I went into town yesterday and secured our businesses. All the windows are now boarded up and secure. The electrical service is going to be 2 weeks minimum before it is up. The major transmission lines are severely damaged. Those will have to be repaired first before we even start to see power in town.

I have found a Hampton Inn suite setup in Houston and will soon have my office setup there for the next 2 weeks. At least my son can have a little more room to run around now. For me living in a hotel is common but my son and wife are not having that much fun. Hopefully this new place will help them settle in.

John I will be giving you a call to touch base later today.

Thanks to all for the offer to help. We are going to keep moving forward and continuing business as normal. (well as normal as this is) So if you know of something you need, VT related or whatever. Please shoot me an email and I will be glad to give you a competitive price. Trust me this will not be the first time I have ever built a VT system in a hotel room! :)

Thanks again for all your thoughts and prayers.

Matt
09-27-2005, 12:00 PM
Good luck fella, hope everything is plain sailing from now on!

nevmoor
09-27-2005, 05:02 PM
Glad to hear things are as well as they are with you Jef!!
I just believe that you will see a increase in business that will more than make up for your hardship now!!!

We'll talk more later!!!