PDA

View Full Version : Job in world with VT knowledge base?

JAMIL
09-25-2005, 04:29 PM
People, please answer if you can. Can I get job in some TV station in world (may be in yours regions), if I'm power user of VT4 or it's not possible without especial diploms or education, if I selfeducated man.

May be tis is offtop - please don't kick me. I just try to get out from this mad and poor country named Russia.

Thank you

Jamil von Erfurt

Paul Lara
09-26-2005, 07:28 AM
Jamil,
I think shooting, editing, directing and lighting skills are more important that what equipment you are familiar with. Those skills are always in demand.

billmi
09-26-2005, 07:55 AM
I agree.

I have been self employed since 1990 or so. In 1992, my wife and I officially started our business together, doing freelance production, as well as consulting, training and troubleshooting of video systems (back then Amiga Video Toaster based.)

In all that time I've had at most a handfull of clients that were even mildly interested in the fact that I had a bachelor's degree in broadcasting and it certainly would not have made a difference in whether or not we picked them up as a client., the rest only cared about one thing - could we do the job.

On the other hand, going to school for the degree opened a lot of doors with me in terms of networking that brought be work.

I think Paul's hit the nail on the head that in a production job, folks are going to be far more worried about other skills than on which system you have the most experience (though getting a job somewhere that does everything on VT would definitely be easier with VT experience.) Bottom line is they will care about your demo reel.

The skills of a VT power user might be better suited to working with a VT dealer, doing demos, training and support. In the mid 90s I was keeping quite busy with Amiga Video Toaster clients around Central California, even heading as far as Idaho on emergency ("hey we've got a deadline this weekend, our crew is only half-trained and there's a technical problem with the system) calls.

And to stray totally off topic with a reminiscence - one of my Radio/TV professors who was most full of himself because he produced a documentary in the 1970s (everything somehow led to a story about that project) taught my senior proseminar class. After missing a class, he commented to the class at large that in the job world, attendance was critical because other people depended on you, and by the way, where was Mr. Mills on Tuesday. I explained that the computer driving a community ad channel at a cable TV head end 2 hrs drive away went down, and I was fixing it until well past 2 in the morning, not making it back in time sleep and get to class. I figured it was important because if they had been down the next day they'd lose $2,500 in revenues. I got along great with him for the rest of the semester.