PDA

View Full Version : just surfed into LW

aeara
09-25-2005, 09:29 AM
...tho, i've known of this program for sometime. in the system requirements (off site) something was mentioned of internet connection protocols. if one gets the boxed version will they still need to go online for something (besides perhaps the updating of video card drivers)? i really don't want to go online with my better pc!
the price is a bit steep for me right now so i was wondering about Bryce. anyone familiar with this one? are they similar in kind (as to degree)?

is there a concensus on a training package? i hear the "inside lw 8" book is good. i know there are extensive cd learning paks at ebay....

i need a primer ...on just getting started!

btw, i am totally into gothic; black metal, vampyric and graveyard themes...

if there's software made just for this please let me know!!

merci

Limbus
09-25-2005, 10:21 AM
...tho, i've known of this program for sometime. in the system requirements (off site) something was mentioned of internet connection protocols. if one gets the boxed version will they still need to go online for something (besides perhaps the updating of video card drivers)? i really don't want to go online with my better pc!

I think that the internet connection protocol is needed for the Hub. The Hub runns the communication between Modeler and Layout.

lots
09-25-2005, 12:29 PM
Indeed, it's my impression that HUB runs off the loop back address (127.0.0.1) for inter program communication. Not really for external network operation.

MiniFireDragon
09-25-2005, 04:19 PM
You will never need an internet connection on any PC that is lighrwave (atleast version 8.3 and down). I have a couple of my machines with no internet access and never had a problem. Alot of newer programs these days are using the network bus to talk between apps (like Macromedia's Software). Only because that is where things are going for PC's.

Silkrooster
09-25-2005, 08:53 PM
Lightwave uses the tcp/ip internet protocol to communicate between layout, modeler and the hub. So the protocol needs to be installed on your system, however you do not need to connect to the internet for Lightwave to run. Using the internet make getting your license number from Newtek easier though. So in your case I would install LW on the older computer, plug in the dongle and get the license number. Once you have that number then you can instal LW on the newer computer plug in the dongle and enter in the license number. Now you can either leave LW on the older computer to use as a back up or part of your render farm. Just remember in order to use LW you need the dongle or LW will run in discovery mode(demo). Screamernet will still work for the render farm without the dongle.
As for Bryce, it is a nice program for beginner's. It is extremely outdated, but that should change now that Daz own's Bryce. The renderer is extremely slow, it has very limited modeling tools. It has primitives, metaballs, non-destructive Boolean operations, terrains, limited set of trees, can do animations.
Anyways, it is hard to really compare Bryce to Lightwave as Lightwave is a true modeler/animation package and Bryce is a terrain/animation package. All I can say is you get what you pay for.
Silk

aeara
09-27-2005, 01:24 PM
thanks for the replies. so bryce is for beginners. that's fine for me. but i don't care for many of the works done with it. that is, they have this generic, childish look to them.
so......could you's perhaps suggest some other programs that fall in the intermediate range!? ha, or where to get a good discount on lw.

this is the wrong forum but (seeing as some know about it) i am curious how bryce fashions objects. i read that everything is made from grouping primitive geometries together. i saw a cathedral made out of thousands of small polygons. are other programs like this?

>>>>>>

all that stuff about dongle = ? can't you just get the boxed version and forget about all that shuffling and license number?

bottom line; i'm shopping for a good program that won't burn a hole in my pocket...but does'nt come out with half baked works. i also did noticed that many of the posted works donewith bryce were touched up with photoshop.
makes sense but that's even more $.

say, anyone familiar with Iasos (the new age musician)? he's been doing awesome abstract animations. this is what i'd like to do. he's into macs tho. i wonder what the windows counterparts are?

Lightwolf
09-27-2005, 02:00 PM
I'd suggest you have a look at Blender (www.blender.org) which is open source and free. Work through some of the tutorials, hang in there (3D is always hard in the beginning), and see if you like it. If you feel like stepping up after that, LW will still be here :)

Cheers,
Mike

aeara
09-28-2005, 03:03 PM
danke. i may've found something. i was looking at caligari truespace but happened to find carrerra (4). this looks good.
hmm, i checked out the galleries for blender. not bad!