PDA

View Full Version : Help with render farm

dito
09-24-2005, 02:11 PM
I added several new computers for rendering Lightwave files and I wonder if it would be possible to run some of them without monitor. Could someone tell me if this is possible and how would I set it up.

Limbus
09-24-2005, 02:29 PM
First I would get some networkrendering software like the free Lightnet (http://www.joejustice.org/lightwave/lightnet/) and install it on all PCs. Once its running and you made sure it starts with windows you dont need a Monitor anymore. You might want to install something like RealVNC on the Renderslaves to control them.

Florian

cresshead
09-24-2005, 02:52 PM
.......and for a quick, nasty and rather gritty way to render on several pc's without a network...
set a render off then pull your dongle out!............move your dongle to another pc or mac and do the same boot up lightwave set up your frames to render say frame 100 to 199 on pc 2.....network rendering without a network!

you gotta love usb ! :) .....don't do this if you have a parralel dongle though ...as you'll kill it!

dito
09-24-2005, 06:41 PM
Thank you guys

MiniFireDragon
09-25-2005, 03:57 PM
You ar elooking for a KVM switch. That stands for Keyboard, Video, mouse. What it is is a box, that sits on your desk. All you need is 1 keyboard, mous eand monitor. With a push of a button you are using another PC. Really great! There is also a software version. And I think Remote Connection in the Accessories>Communication section will let you do the same thing. Or, www.logmein.com and use the FREE version (only allows Remote Services) and add all your PCs to it.

dito
09-25-2005, 08:46 PM
This is interesting, today I was in the computer store and KVM was the first thing they suggested, but I am not sure if this will work on new 64 bit Windows, drivers may not be compatible. I should find out it may not need driver at all. I am going to chack out software you are recomending.

Thanks MiniDragon

somnambulance
09-25-2005, 08:54 PM
You shouldnt need a driver for a KVM. My Iogear doesnt need any drivers. If you want to go from computer to computer with only 1 monitor, that is the way to do it. If you dont ever want to shut them down, then I would just set them up then pull the monitor cord. I would go with a KVM if I were you though.