PDA

View Full Version : my first Demo Reel is ready!

Nicolas Jordan
09-24-2005, 11:48 AM
Here is a link to my website and demo reel in DivX format.

http://www.nj3design.com

I have started work on the next version of my reel so any so any contstructive comments on how it can be improved are appreciated. Thanks.

Tiger
09-24-2005, 01:05 PM
That was nice :thumbsup:
My only critic is the music...I prefer something softer.
Keep up the good work :)

fazrul_X2N
09-24-2005, 11:23 PM
nice website dude :thumbsup:

cant wait to read the tutorials. i like the castle model. how'd you create the treee using lightwave?

meanlebh
09-25-2005, 04:07 PM
i agree, nice website, and nice reel...i like the t-rex most myself, especially when it roars...or whatever it is that dinosaurs do....

good work.

*edit*-- since you are looking for some constructive crits...i guess if i were to change anything I may try to change some of the setting/backgrounds your images...right now alot of them have fairly similar backgrounds, i.e. blue sky, green grass.... if you were to alter some of these/place them in a little more interesting settings, then it may help make some of them a little more dynamic in appearance. overall though, i think that you have done a good job. keep it up, and i look forward to your next updated reel.

-Brian

kohlrabi_croce
09-30-2005, 09:23 AM
It is very nice, but I would say the sky & grass in the T-rex and castle scenes are too saturated. The T-rex look like he needs a feeling of more mass or gravity in his gait.
Also, when he puts his foot on the ground, not only does the ground shake, but the entire image shakes along with the t-rex himself, which is not quite believable. I would have a dinosaur roar there too, when he roars.

tracy

Martin Adams
10-01-2005, 04:24 AM
A really nice demo reel you have there. Your modelling is really good.

I have a few suggestions which you are welcome to take on board. My main suggestion would be to work on the camera motion. Its far too robotic, especially in the air craft scene. Shots where the camera is perfectly following a rocket to its target in my view shouldn't be so perfect and the camera should be playing catch-up with its movement.

I didn't like the camera shake for the T-Rex scene, it appears that everything pauses every time it stomps on the ground. Also the walk cycle of the feet of the T-Rex seem to slide near the end of the clip, but I think that might be the combination of the grass and the natural bending of the feet opposed to it actually sliding.

The showreel seems to focus on a range of skills. You may wish to focus on some detail depending on what you're wanting to show you're best at. For example, if modelling is your stongest skill, maybe focus on that and include some wireframe/render compositions. If its animation, then the only clip that demonstrated that was the T-Rex. If its texturing, then you might want some strong still shots for people to admire.

I hope this is helpful. Keep up the great work!

Nicolas Jordan
10-01-2005, 11:18 AM
Thanks for all the feedback guys! I am already making parts of the reel better based on the feedback I am getting for when I release the next version of my reel in a few months. One question though, do u think the there should be any shake at all in the T-rex scene. I was originally trying to make it look like the camera was being effected by the vibrations of each step. I guess I could just try and make him look heavier in the animation?

Nicolas Jordan
10-02-2005, 12:20 PM
I just updated my website with Quicktime version of my Reel for those of u who have Macs or just prefer Quicktime.