PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best graphic card to make renders go faster?

kimbodude
09-24-2005, 07:43 AM
Hi lightwavers...

Im just in the process of upgrading my current Nvidea 5200 128MB graphic card and was looking to get a a new one...but not sure which one to go for. I checked on the www.ati.com web site and noticed many options although some are good for games others for rendering. perhaps one of you pro's can tell me what to go for ?... i was thinking of either the radeon X700 series at 256Mb or maybe the 9800 or 9600, im not sure lol !!.. any help appreciated.

Current machine specs: Dual Xeon Processor at 2.6 ghz each with a total of 4 gigs a ram.

Card needs to be for AGP port.

Any help or guidance appreciated.

Captain Obvious
09-24-2005, 08:19 AM
Lightwave doesn't use the video card at all while rendering. You could remove the card and it will still render at the same speed.

kimbodude
09-24-2005, 08:21 AM
thnx capy... any suggestions on a card though ? :)

philipsavage
09-24-2005, 09:47 AM
You should use a card that is optimised for open GL.
I use the Nvidia Quadro FX500 which is reasonably priced.
It will not speed up renders but it will help in modelling etc. and it is approved by NT.
This series of cards are workstation cards with two separate outputs, meaning that you can run two monitors in various configurations, I use one for the work screen and the other for pallets.
If you want to play games as well as 3D modelling this is probably not the best route for you as they are not very good with DirectX. It may be best to stick with what you have.
ATI also produce workstation cards with their FireGL series.
It's only my opinion but I hope this helps.

Captain Obvious
09-24-2005, 09:49 AM
Nope, sorry. I don't know which card works best with Lightwave.

RedBull
09-24-2005, 02:28 PM
Anything that you can afford in Nvidia.......
The more money, the better performance..... :)

ATI are **** on drivers and OGL, Nvidia are the industry standard....
Avoid Overpriced workstation cards like Quadro's or FireGL's like the plaugue.

A standard gaming card, will be just as fast, if not faster and cheaper too...
All cards are optimized for DX and OGL.....
And will provide adequate performance for LW....

None of them will aid in rendering, just viewport and interface drawing.
So the fastest Nvidia card, your bank balance allows....

Sande
09-24-2005, 03:47 PM
I would wait for Lightwave 8.5 (or even 9) and then hear people's experiences with different cards. At the moment Lightwave's OpenGL sucks with all cards...

kimbodude
09-26-2005, 03:52 AM
jee dudes.. sounds like allot of you guys have different opinions about graphic cards... i guess i will get both a ati one and nvidea best model and experiment with them for the modeling part... i need to make the xpenses for my taxes lol... ;) will let you hear my opinion on both asap.

Thnx in advance for all your time though. :thumbsup:

mattclary
09-26-2005, 06:05 AM
Most people on these boards agree that nVidia is preferable. You should get a 6xxx series or higher, as they support OpenGL 2.0 in hardware, which will be of benefit when 9 comes out.

kimbodude
09-26-2005, 07:58 AM
thnx for making it clear matclary :beerchug:

Bog
09-27-2005, 06:49 AM
When it comes to 3D Accelerator cards, in my experience, it's not *just* nVidia or ATI, it's a combo of motherboard, CPU, OS settings and a slew of other oddments which add up to "which manufacturer's card performs best in which box"

Which is a royal pain.

Then again, I can't see there being more than a smidge of difference in speed between current high-end ATI and high-end nVidia. But yeah, any current-gen gamer's accelerator will work fine. For what it's worth, I tend to buy nVidia.

MiniFireDragon
09-28-2005, 11:17 AM
A 5700LE and a 6200 Geforce card operate at almost the same speed in lightwave. I saw very little (no where near enough to justify a new card) redraw speed. And the 5200 card you have right now will operate V 9 enhancements.

I don't know how the redraw rates will be with v. 9, I can only tell you that I put Lightwave side by side on 2 different boxes (the 6200 was a faster PC) and saw very little.

I would suggest staying clear of ATI, only because in the past (and seen scattered finding's recently) they made their own drivers for OpenGL use and they were buggy and not fully complaint. Nvidia was one of the starting companies to create the OpenGL standard (even as Microsoft was pushing DirectX) Ati didn't join that wagon until game programmers started pushing games out in OpenGL and their cards weren't handling it (aka they lost marketing share).

kimbodude
09-28-2005, 11:21 AM
Minidragon, Bog,

Thnx for your input, really appreciate it. Ya'll rock :thumbsup: