PDA

View Full Version : help: spline + particles

operation
09-24-2005, 04:29 AM
Hi folks,

I need your help:
I am trying to drive particles along a spline ( like a river).

I create a spline under modeler, send it to layout.
Add an emitter to it.

My problems:

when I add hypervoxel ( Layout crash)
I can't make particle "flow" along the spline ( the spline emit particles at each vertex)

Next problem ... I need to replace particle with geometry ( use Fx linker ) but I can't make my object affected by "particle age" effect (I have 100 or 200 particles) (do you have a tip for that)

I want to see my objects "disapear" like particles would.

if you have a tips ..

thanks.

ps: of course I can animate "dissolve" parameter for each object but it will be very long ...

Dodgy
09-24-2005, 10:23 AM
If you want to drive particles along a river, you want to use a wind effector set to Path mode. Have a look at this scene. I've made the wind follow a spline made in modeller, but it's probably better to keyframe it so you have more control.

As for dissolve, before you Fxlink the objects, add an envelope to the Dissolve channel. Don't set any keys other than the 0,0 key, but then add the FXlink channel modifier plugin. Set it to Age fade out, and you'll see the dissolve envelope goes up to 100 over the life of the particles.

MonroePoteet
09-24-2005, 10:42 AM
Very nice! Thanks for the example. Both the "Path" mode wind and the Curve Constraint motion handler are new and wonderful tools for me!

mTp

operation
09-24-2005, 02:55 PM
Thanks my friend Dodgy !!

It's exactly what I wanted !
I have seen on flay an fx_linker replacement plugin:

FX_Link_UltraIA_11.zip

Thanks again for the solution.

I am sad because I didn't have seen on the roadmap of LW9 any features about particles... I hope they will change Fxlinker to something better.
I wich to have something like ParticleFlow of 3dsmax.

About the Lw's crash, it's comming from my scene... but I can't find why.. maybe because I import my spline in Layout as a layer object.

cheers!

Here is an other tip from "Kurv" (if my memory is good) ripped from "bloody eegs" post (if you use Hypervoxel) :

Here is another way to do the blood. Use spline draw to draw the basic path you want for the blood. Put the nodes along the surface of the egg where you want them and then in the numeric panel crank up the curve points to something fairly high( 200 is the highest I think it goes).
Send the spline into layout and yes splines can be loaded into layout.
Apply FXEmitter to the spline and open up the particles properties panel. Set the nozzle to object-vertices. This will create a particle for every vertex on your spline following the point order.
Apply HVs to the spline emitter and apply a gradient to the HV size channel. Set the input parameter to Particle Age. What will happen is that you can create a droplet that trails off as it moves.
You can then load in additional spline and copy/paste the particle and HV settings to each. You can offset the frame start in the particle properties panel so the drops start at different times.
Doing this way offers a lot of flexibility. You can also use the gradient to change the color of the droplets and other surface properties.
-------------------

operation
09-24-2005, 04:22 PM
well .. I am back ..

I din't know about the disolve Fw_link...
is there a way to make an exponential disolve curve ( because it's linear now) ?

maybe I am asking too much ? :devil:

Dodgy
09-25-2005, 03:27 PM
There isn't at the moment, I'm looking into writing my own to add to the functions...

FONGOOL
09-25-2005, 08:39 PM
I have seen on flay an fx_linker replacement plugin:

FX_Link_UltraIA_11.zip

Can you post a link to that? I can't find this on Flay... :compbeati

Thanks! :thumbsup:

WCameron
09-25-2005, 10:09 PM
http://thespread.ghostoutpost.com/

- Will.

SplineGod
09-28-2005, 09:42 AM
That would be my growing vines tutorial. :)
Its on the LW 8 3rd party CD I believe too.

Here is an other tip from "Kurv" (if my memory is good) ripped from "bloody eegs" post (if you use Hypervoxel) :

Here is another way to do the blood. Use spline draw to draw the basic path you want for the blood. Put the nodes along the surface of the egg where you want them and then in the numeric panel crank up the curve points to something fairly high( 200 is the highest I think it goes).
Send the spline into layout and yes splines can be loaded into layout.
Apply FXEmitter to the spline and open up the particles properties panel. Set the nozzle to object-vertices. This will create a particle for every vertex on your spline following the point order.
Apply HVs to the spline emitter and apply a gradient to the HV size channel. Set the input parameter to Particle Age. What will happen is that you can create a droplet that trails off as it moves.
You can then load in additional spline and copy/paste the particle and HV settings to each. You can offset the frame start in the particle properties panel so the drops start at different times.
Doing this way offers a lot of flexibility. You can also use the gradient to change the color of the droplets and other surface properties.
-------------------[/QUOTE]