PDA

View Full Version : windows blown clean out

neilp
09-23-2005, 01:10 PM
Anyone know how to blow windows from a building...like from say a gas explosion from within - viewing scene from outside of building. just the basics would be fine. I think it may have something to do with dynamics and a wind emmiter but that is all i know. I have the scene set up with the glass polys knifed into schards and ready to blow, from there i am stuck!!! this is for a personal project and would just like to know how to do the basic set up. I am an architectural visualiser (6 years) but would like to investigate effects market out of curiosity. The manual offers little advice and i cant find any tutorials.

Surrealist.
09-23-2005, 05:02 PM
Well I am no expert on dynamics - by far - so take this as just a simple starting point.

For something like this you could probably use a collision object. Items/Add Dynamic/Collision You can set it to a sphere, box or plane. The other settings in that drop down apply to adding collision to an actual object.

This collision object can be animated so it can be scaled or moved. You could have more than one for each window if need be.

The glass objects would then have a hard dynamic added to them in the Dynamics tab of the Object Properties Panel.

A few basic settings:

The Piece Mode option in the Hard FX should be set to Parts I belive for it to break into parts.

Make sure and set "Start by Collision" in the Collision tab of the Hard FX. Also make sure graviity is set to -9.8m

There is also the collision tab of the Hard FX. You can select excusive collision for the collision object. This could come in handy if you have more then one collision object.

Move the col obj into the window and it should shatter.

Other than that I would be in the same boat as you. Just tweeking other peramiters. At this point another look at the manual might help too.

I may have left some stuff out too. But this may get you going in the right direction.

There is a sample scene to study in the content directory as well.

Also Dodgy might kind o enough to give you some tips. :)

Good Luck.