PDA

View Full Version : iVGA - problem crossing routers

goffj1
09-23-2005, 10:41 AM
Using iVGA is working well, provided the VT4.5 and client machine are both behind the same router.

Where I am having a problem is I have machines on a different floor of the building from the VT4.5 so they will have to transverse two routers toget to one another.

All machines are running XP Pro.

All the machines are in the same workgroup.

All can see each other on the network with Windows Explorer as well as map drives and swap files.

Have even tried modifying the LMHOSTS files so each machine has a specific enrty for the VT4.5 and vice versa.

Anyone know how to overcome this ???

Paul Lara
09-26-2005, 10:28 AM
Anyone know how to overcome this?

Certainly!
You need configure the routers to pass UDP port 5901 and TCP port 5902.

Paul

goffj1
09-28-2005, 01:59 PM
Thanks for the reply -

Our IT guys said it's not a firewall issue as they only block ports from the outside world and not on the boxes behind the main firewall.

Any other suggestions?

goffj1
09-28-2005, 02:58 PM
Changed the computer names to where the leading characters are letters, not numbers.

Tried on machines with XP SP2 loaded and firewall turned off as well as machines with no SP2.

Still can't see remote machines with the VT4.5 - unless they sit behind the same router.

MBeck
09-28-2005, 03:59 PM
Are the behind different routers or switches?

Are they on the same subnet?

If you don't know what the above means, do this..
On each computer go to the start menu and choose run. Then type in "cmd" in the box. click ok.
once the command prompt is up, type "ipconfig /all"

make sure your window is big enough to see it all and take a screen shot for me. do this on both computers, then e-mail them to me

kirkmorger
09-28-2005, 05:51 PM
A number of routers will not, by default, pass UDP broadcast packets. A number of them do have the ability to pass UDP broadcast when configured. I have never tried going thru two routers, however.

What brands and models of routers are they?

goffj1
09-29-2005, 08:05 AM
Different subnets -

Cisco swtches, but I don't know the model -

MBeck
09-29-2005, 08:16 AM
My guess is its a subnet problem..

You probibly need to get the IT guys to make sure they build you a route somehow. I don't know what type of domain controllers you have.

Also, are you on a domain or workgroup?

Rich Deustachio
09-29-2005, 09:00 AM
I am not able to use iVGA from my network computer on my VT4 either. I can see the other computer file using shared files.

goffj1
09-29-2005, 01:35 PM
All the machines we have share a common workgroup.

Zane Condren
09-29-2005, 02:01 PM
Sounds like a case of the network gremlins. Open up the run dialog type cmd hit enter

in the command prompt type ping *.*.*.*:5902 ( replace stars with machines ip) try this on each machine pinging the other machine and see what happens.

MBeck
09-29-2005, 02:59 PM
Sounds like a case of the network gremlins. Open up the run dialog type cmd hit enter

in the command prompt type ping *.*.*.*:5902 ( replace stars with machines ip) try this on each machine pinging the other machine and see what happens.
Nice! I didn't think of that!

goffj1
09-30-2005, 08:29 AM
Omiting the :5902 in the ping command, they all see each other.

Adding :5902 to the ping...

Pinging the toaster from the remote machines -
Pinging the remote machines from the toaster -
Pinging from remote to remote -

All yield same message "Ping request could not find host. Please check the name and try again."

Zane Condren
09-30-2005, 08:59 AM
It sounds like that the routers are blocking those ports: Prehaps you can set up a port forward to forward ivga to port 21: which should always be open for ftp transfers. Your IT guys should be able to take care of this in your router config

Mediaworx
10-01-2005, 07:49 AM
testing account

VideoFixIt
10-20-2005, 08:12 PM
If the distance is short (15 feet) between your computers try using a firewire cable between the computers. This creates a 1394 Ip network and is faster that Wi-Fi or most wired LAN's. This also will keep the IT department guys happy. We have done this using iVGA client and connected to VT4.5 just fine.

goffj1
10-21-2005, 07:24 AM
Our IT guys came to look at this problem and below is their input -

Unable to resolve do to software conflict. Software utilizes VNC for control and Netbeui for client discovery. Netbeui is a non routable protocol and will not discover clients across the routers.

Maybe some future release of iVGA will take this into account.