PDA

View Full Version : Surface Editor display with pseudo UVs

toma
09-23-2005, 10:28 AM
Why can't we preview a material with the Surface Editor display if one of its texture map use UV ?

The display shows a sphere, so that shere could have some simple UV ? Even if the preview treats all the UVs as spherical projection, at least we could see the result of the blend betwen layers…

I think of that because though I use Fprime, I still use the surface editor's preview a lot because it is faster and I can preview a material without the scene's lights…

nb. I don't want a viper enhancement… ;) just a preview ball with pseudo UVs :)

toma.

Panikos
09-23-2005, 10:44 AM
Hi Toma

Yes, its an ugly weakness, however I am not sure if this is possible.
UVs are stored with some maths involved that attach an image relatively to the vertices.

The Surface Editor Ball has no UVs, and definitely not sphere UVs.
Also the size of the texture plays a role.

Maybe its too much hastle to comform any UVs to sphere-UV temporarily for previewing.

(FPrime can help thee) :thumbsup:

toma
09-23-2005, 11:00 AM
Hello Panikos !

I know you are right but I would be happy even if the surface editor's ball use a flat screen projection :)

Or should i ask worley to make a "don't use scene light" button ? ;D

…another issue is that if you store a preset, its preview will be the same as the ball : wrong !

toma

Panikos
09-23-2005, 11:15 PM
Lets wait for the promising LW9
Surfacing has been improved, nodes etc :compbeati

DragonFist
09-24-2005, 03:51 AM
Hello Panikos !

I know you are right but I would be happy even if the surface editor's ball use a flat screen projection :)

Or should i ask worley to make a "don't use scene light" button ? ;D

…another issue is that if you store a preset, its preview will be the same as the ball : wrong !

toma

Maybe, what you should ask is for the Hardware OpenGL preview to show UVs. Might be more doable.

Panikos
10-02-2005, 04:18 PM
I revised this idea.

The Surface Sphere preview is calculated with some precision.
To my ho, its practically hard to map "any UV" to "sphere UV" cause there is no mathematical relation to assign that this vertex is mapped here and that vertex is mapped there.

Unless projecting all UV maps as default sphere, however in case of some relation between the various maps there will be misalignment/mismatch.

In such complex surfacing cases, personally I tend to surface roughly an object in a blank scene using FPrime and then fine tune the levels in the real scene.

:D